Notices

Volant Cool Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Colorado4x4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Volant Cool Air Intake

I have done a ton of research on the K&N FIPK . The one undisputable fact is that the K&N filters do let through more particulates no matter how well you take care of the filter. Personally, I think the risks outweigh the benefits. Yes, I have friends that rave about them. I just haven't seen enough positive reasons to feel comfortable buying one. It's to bad too because I was excited to get one. So my question is, what do you guys know about the Volant cool air intake systems with a boxed filter? It still uses a K&N filter but it is contained within a box. Is this ulitmately defeating the purpose of me buying one (increase HP/torque) in the first place. I was thinking since it was contained within a box, it would help cut down on the particulates. But then it seems that I'm right back to where I started with the stock filter. Or do you guys have any alternatives that you recommend?

Old 11-19-2003, 01:15 AM
cow_boy104
Senior User
I would either take the silencer out in front of the box, cut some of the box out, and put in a filter.

Or take the box out completly, and just put a cone filter on. Its basically the same thing as the FIPK, just cheaper.

I've heard and seen both done. And heard all positive results.

I prob would have done one of the above if I would have done the research first.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:12 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I have a volant w/o the box. I love the thing. From what Ive heard and seen, no one has complained about it. I noticed decent gains, but no proof on paper. IE Never dynoed or 1/4 mi to prove HP. BUT, I get 20 MPG currently. Not too shabby I think.

The box supposedly works great because it takes the air from your wheel and no engine air.

Good Luck.

Garrett