Notices

Fog light recommendation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Kingsun
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light recommendation...

The next thing I want to install is a good functional fog lights. I love to go to the coast to fish and every once in awhile it gets real foggy..I've seen the triangular looking driving lights on the lower bumper of some F150s and I'm quite interested in those.Where do I get them and do I have to drill holes?? Any recommended options.. I know a real good looking one is a bush guard w/ foglights but they are too pricey.. Thanks for your thoughts...

Old 11-14-2003, 07:30 PM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fogs and drivers are two different things. Fog lights give very little increased illumination in clear weather. They have the same bulbs and usually the same reflectors but VERY different lenses. Fogs throw a very wide diffuse beam with a very abrupt cutoff at the top edge. The "fog lights" on most, if not all, US production vehicles are not true fogs, they are more nearly cornering lights, basically low powered drivers.

BTW you want fogs mounted as low as possible for the full effect in the fog. Take the control power for the relay off the parking lamps, not the low beams. That way you can run on fogs only when it turns to pea soup. (Not legal, but who's going to catch you when it's that thick?)

Old 11-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Kingsun
Senior User
Thanks for the quick response.. Yes, sir I want a quality fog lamp not the driving lights and I realize that w/o fog it's next to useless but I've driven thru fogs w/ almost zero visivility and I am wondering if a good foglight will help me see better.Thanks again.

Old 11-15-2003, 07:34 AM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
I've got Hella 550s. They work very nicely. Cibié makes very good lights too, but they're a bit harder to find

Old 11-15-2003, 08:15 AM
Kingsun
Senior User
Where and how did you install them..Thanks!!

Old 11-15-2003, 10:46 AM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
I used a Smittybuilt Outland brush bar. It will hold 6 lights. I mounted (2) drivers above the light bar anf hung (2) fogs underneath. For the newer trucks like yours, they make the "Outland Sport" which is a whole lot smaller, basically just a light bar.

Old 11-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Kingsun
Senior User
Thanks again for the info...Looks like I've got to go the "bush guard way" so I get more options as to the type I want to use...

Old 11-16-2003, 04:12 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
I like the Hella 500's

Old 11-20-2003, 03:16 PM
horizonhuskies
Posting Guru
I added on a valence with fog lights cut out. Install was simple. We wired it so that the fog lights come on with the parking lights. I like the way they work, and since its just a mounting stud and bolt, you can adjust where they shine. The time of year there is no fog they are angled higher to hit right about where my low beams are. 2 weeks ago I pointed them lower in order to get the actual fog light functionality from them. Just my $.02

garrett

Old 11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Kingsun
Senior User
Thanks to all for your responses....