2022+ F-150 Lightning Electric 1/2-ton - Ford's all-electric F-150 has arrived!

Ford Switching to Tesla Connector

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 06:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 700 Likes on 454 Posts
Ford Switching to Tesla Connector

This is huge news. Starting in 2025, Ford will completely switch from CCS to Tesla’s NACS plug. Currently-produced Ford EVs will be capable of using Tesla’s Superchargers with an adapter that should be available next spring.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for CCS? It would be fantastic if every automaker came around to using the same connector.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...hargers--.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-25-2023, 10:00 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,525 Likes on 943 Posts
This is big news and way overdue. The EV industry should have come together and standardized the connectors and charging systems in order for this EV industry to really take off.

Tom
Old 05-26-2023, 06:30 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,577 Likes on 2,903 Posts
Perhaps common sense is still a thing.

Big news, good news and absolutely the right call. Hopefully other EV manufacturers get on the same common sense train of thought.

Tom
Old 05-30-2023, 02:49 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,525 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Perhaps common sense is still a thing.

Big news, good news and absolutely the right call. Hopefully other EV manufacturers get on the same common sense train of thought.
Obviously Tesla's charging systems is the gold standard and have been in production for too long without some standardization. Since the government is pushing for EV implementation, they're the ones that should have lead the standardization of charging systems and they lack the common sense.

Old 06-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Old 06-09-2023, 10:02 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Sous
This is great news. I hope GM is the second domino to fall in a consolidation into a single standard.

It wouldn’t have bothered me much if things consolidated to CCS, but the connector is much clunkier than Tesla’s streamlined and durable design. I’m on my first road trip since switching back to a Tesla and have been using EA stations instead of Superchargers to take advantage of a nontransferrable charge pass that came with my EV6. Only 1/3rd of my charge stops worked without errors or reduced speed, and I think these reliability issues are a big factor behind GM and Ford’s decision.

I’m curious to hear whether they install both ports on their cars in 2025, or exclusively use Tesla NACS. A lot of smart folks are thinking they’ll keep both to enable more charging options.

Old 06-10-2023, 06:33 AM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,388 Likes on 1,098 Posts
This is all very reminiscent of VHS or Beta. 🤔

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Old 06-10-2023, 06:48 AM
Under-Pressure
Tuned
Received 196 Likes on 91 Posts
I find this sad news for Tesla owners who will have to wait for FORD’s to charge up first at the charging stations. So much for quicker charging times & exclusive charging areas. What has FORD & the power companies been doing with all the EV / infrastructure money taxpayers have been forced to hemorrhage to them? Hopefully Tesla will move to hydrogen fuel cells & leave everyone attached to the extension cord.

Old 06-10-2023, 07:02 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Under-Pressure
I find this sad news for Tesla owners who will have to wait for FORD’s to charge up first at the charging stations. So much for quicker charging times & exclusive charging areas. What has FORD & the power companies been doing with all the EV / infrastructure money taxpayers have been forced to hemorrhage to them? Hopefully Tesla will move to hydrogen fuel cells & leave everyone attached to the extension cord.
I’m not really worried about it. I’ve had Teslas for three of the last four years, and the Supercharger network has grown by leaps and bounds since I got my first. They seem to be expanding much faster than demand, and I’ve seen rows of empty chargers most of the time I drive by.

I’m on a road trip this weekend. The EA charger I used in Lafayette, IN had four spots, three operational, and I slid into the last one. The Supercharger across the freeway had 22/24 stalls available. There’s plenty of capacity, and the added revenue will help them build even faster. More important in the long run is third-party networks like EVGo and others who have much more incentive to build Tesla connectors into their chargers in addition to, or in place of CCS.

This could be a minor inconvenience to Tesla owners at times, but I think it’ll be a major benefit to the public overall. I think it’s a great move.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:17 PM
ArcticGabe
Trailering
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
This could be a minor inconvenience to Tesla owners at times, but I think it’ll be a major benefit to the public overall. I think it’s a great move.
I agree, standardization will benefit everyone in the long run, even if it is a short-term inconvenience for some Tesla owners. It would be like if GM had square fuel fill ports and Ford has triangle ones and neither could fill up at each other's stations.

Yoohoo, Nissan, are you listening... ?

Tom
Old 06-26-2023, 05:21 AM
Split rims
Fleet Mechanic
Received 918 Likes on 572 Posts
I believe you're correct!!

Old 06-27-2023, 07:20 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I wonder if Ram will follow suit? Tesla has put the Capital down to build the Supercharger network, whereas every other manufacturer has either released a home 120v or 240v charger and or having to go to the dealership to charge up. The only existing chargers even at stores has been Tesla. One of the Hyvees in Lincoln has I think 6 or 8 at the far end of the parking lot (thankfully).

Tesla has more or less refused to go with an industry standard universal charger setup for one reason or another. Looking at the crap show that Ford received when TFL and other online auto magazines showed how poorly the Lightning does while towing, I'm not surprised that they decided on this. Now I wonder how much money each manufacturer is going to give Tesla in possibly a joint venture to further expand the charger network. At this point it could grow a lot faster over the coming decade with more companies using the Tesla charging plug.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:40 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

The snowball effect has taken ground and it's rolling out of control. Volvo just announced they're going with Teslas connector as well. I had no idea about Rivian getting in on this but it appears so as well.

"The news comes as the automotive standards organization known as SAE International announces support for NACS to become a fully recognized standard."

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/27/23775579/volvo-tesla-electric-car-supercharger-nacs

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Old 06-28-2023, 08:14 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
ChargePoint announced NACS availability recently too. This is how it is supposed to be... The best product/service gets the money. It is not supposed to be what our elected officials "think" is the best gets the money.

Link: https://www.chargepoint.com/about/ne...ng-ev-charging

Old 06-30-2023, 09:21 AM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Add EA and Blink to the list that'll use NACS.

https://electrek.co/2023/06/29/elect...r-ev-chargers/

Quick Reply: Ford Switching to Tesla Connector