Noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 02:03 PM
capt_dan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noises

I have a 2000 EX V-10.

I just started getting a buzz/rattle in my dash. seems like it is coming from above the instrument cluster. Can I remove the front dash piece to check what is rattling? How?

Also I am getting a squeak in my steering column when I turn the wheel. Anyone else hade this? Is it something to be concerned about?

Old 03-19-2002, 07:24 PM
drinXsGas
Freshman User
Noises

To get to the top of the instrument panel, just carefully pry off the etire dash face. I started at the top where it meets the dash. Its a little tuff but it will seperate. You will probably have to unplug some of the accessories (ie. the stereo) from the back of the face in order to really get in there. When youre done, it will just snap back into place.
Cant help you with the steering problem though.
HOpe I helped.

drinXsGas

2000 X V-10

Old 03-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Noises

>Also I am getting a squeak in my steering column when I turn
>the wheel. Anyone else hade this? Is it something to be
>concerned about?

Mine does it too. If I move it in real quick movements it sounds like I'm tuning in a short wave radio. I've heard of a fix. It's quite intensive. I'll be happy to get the fix for you but you're in no danger with the squeak, as long as there is no binding associated with it.

Old 03-21-2002, 12:22 AM
Stab
Senior User
Noises

Guys I may be wrong here but this may be worth a try. In a previous profession of mine I was assigned a brand new 2000 Crown Vic police interceptor. When I turned the wheel I would get a rubbing squeaking type of sound from the steering collum(sic?) and after several stops by the fleet garage and being told not to worry about it I investigated and found the culprit to be a rubber grommet type thing where the steering shaft entered the firewall. I sprayed the area where the steering shaft met the grommet with litium grease(when doing this be sure to use lithium grease in a spray can with a straw and be sure to insert the straw between the grommet and the steering shaft)and it never happened again. In my career I also had a 95 PI Vic and a 97 PI Vic and niether had the problem so it may be a newer thing. Try it and see. Nothing is better than a free and easy fix.
Let me know if this works on your Ex's.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:36 AM
JoeBoost
Elder User
Noises

I had the same squeaking noise on my 2002 Excursion when i would turn the wheel. I had the dealer look at it when my truck was in for something else-and the noise is gone.My guess is that it just needed a spray of WD40 or something...

Old 03-21-2002, 10:32 AM
GSMcDermid
New User
Noises

I just wanted to add that I also had the same steering noise when I first obtained my Ex. I was having work done at the dealer when I mentioned it to them as an afterthought. When my Ex. returned it was gone, I asked them for the cure. They responded "A little lube will help with many things."
I just laughed and went on my way.

Love my Ex.
2k 4x4 v10
Scott

Old 03-21-2002, 11:37 AM
Stab
Senior User
Noises

Let me add one more thing. When I first discovered what was causing the noise I did not have any lithium spray and used WD-40. It wore off in a couple of weeks and that is when I added the grease and it never happened again. Lithium grease worked better for me.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:21 PM
capt_dan
New User
Noises

Thanks all! I'll try them.

Old 10-12-2002, 06:56 AM
DTB
New User
Noises

I have a noise coming from inside my front door panels. :-( It almost sounds like a wiring harness has come loose on both sides of the truck. The sound is really noticeable with intown driving. Has anybody else had this experience and how should I stop it? Thanks in advance.

David

Old 10-16-2002, 12:43 PM
crjackson
Senior User
Noises

Old 10-22-2002, 03:32 PM
crjackson
Senior User
Noises

I hope that'll fix it. I had to go toe to toe with the dealership to get my steering column fixed
Mine sounded like wounded water buffalo.
First time in they lubed it. Lasted about a week. Next time they replaced the nylon bushing in the yoke holding the column going through the firewall. Then they had to replace the entire yoke assembly! In all, it took 5 trips to the dealer to fix what turned out to be a misaligned steering column yoke.

-CRJ
2k X lmt on Weld 16 x 10 'phoons w/35 x 12.5 AT's. Pro Comp/Liftmaster 6" lift and 6x Rancho 9000's, Superchips 1715 tuner, K&N intake, AirRaid throttle body spacer, cat back 3" sst exhaust into FM70 big block, 2.5" dual out.