Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

RPM intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM intermittent

Me again, my RPM sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. It makes my transmission not engaging in overdrive and I have to shift manually. That is ok, the trany needs RPM to know when to shift.

I installed a new RPM sensor and it did not make a difference. I will do a wire chase to see if there is a bad connection somewhere, but I hope noboby tells me it is my computor. By the way, where is the computor on this rig?

Any idea what could be wrong?

Old 11-17-2003, 11:11 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Kidoo,

Not sure what you mean by "manually shifting the trans. into overdrive".
Yeah, I'd trace out the RPM sensor's wiring.
Your computer ought to be "on a bracket located over the driver's side wheel housing".
Send me an FTE email and I will send you some E4OD stuff which might help you trace down what's causing your problem. R.A.

Old 11-18-2003, 12:32 PM
kidoo
Elder User
My e mail is sigy@sympatico.ca,
What i mean is I have to shift from 1 to 3 with the stick. I can not put it in overdrive when the RPM is not working.
Thanks,

Old 11-18-2003, 01:48 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
Kidoo,

I'm talking about sending me an email with the FTE email system, not putting your email address in a post. To email me, click on the "profile" button in blue at the bottom of this post. You will be taken to a page which will have "click here to email dieselzen". Send me a brief email regarding the E4OD zip file. I will be able to copy your email address from the email you send to me and will send you the zip file which should help you with your problem.

Regarding your manually shifting the trans., it sounds like you go into limp mode from time to time, that is, you have 2nd gear in either 1rst or 2nd, and 4rth gear in Drive.

The zip file has test procedures for the RPM sensor, the VSS sensor, the FIPL, the MLPS, and the TECA. Also has a lot of hard part head ups and upgrades.

The first thing I'd check for the limp mode, is the condition of the solenoid block harness connector, particularly the first 6 inches of all the wires above the connector. The connector is located on the passenger side, behind a heat shield. If the insulation is burned or corroded off, replace the connector. About $30.00 (U.S.) at a tranny shop. R.A.

Old 11-18-2003, 03:52 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Yes, when I am in first, the trans is actually in second gear, and it goes up to 4 I gues when i switch to 3, but it does not go in overdrive, the light stays glimsy on.
But when the RPM comes back on, from time to time, then everything works great. The transmission has been completely overhauled a couple weeks ago.
I just sent you an email for the zip file.
Thanks,