Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
What do I do?

If you haven't heard about it or seen it on the news, Houston has once again become a victim to flooding. On my way home I encountered some deep and some extremely deep puddles that I'm proud to say I made it through all thanks to the size, strength and ground clearance of my mighty Ford Excursion. The only problem is some water got into my fogs and now they don't work. If I wait for them to dry will they still work even with after market bulbs? Or should I just head over to my supplier and get some new bulbs? What can I or should I do? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that water was above your tires and you drive in it for a while....you shoud really drain and fill your diffs. Water in with the gear lube is not good.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally posted by JeremyH
If that water was above your tires and you drive in it for a while....you shoud really drain and fill your diffs. Water in with the gear lube is not good.

I don't think the water ever came above my tires, that only happened once and I quickly backed out and left. But I kept my foot on the gas so I didn't spend too much time in the water. All I was doing was the following the one, simple rule when it comes to driving through water: "Keep Going!". I had to splash a few people, but I got through in one piece. You are right though, I probably need to change the fluid in my diffs. The last thing I need is my diff siezing up on me. Thanks for the heads up JeremyH! Anyone else with a few suggestions?

Last edited by Toreador_Diesel; 11-17-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:14 PM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure everything is dry and go buy some bulbs for your lights,all should be ok. Drive the truck with the hubs dailed in for a few mile then pull the fill plugs on your diffs and stick your finger in, if you got any water the oil will be creamy, if you get clear oil your alright.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally posted by eckart
Make sure everything is dry and go buy some bulbs for your lights,all should be ok. Drive the truck with the hubs dailed in for a few mile then pull the fill plugs on your diffs and stick your finger in, if you got any water the oil will be creamy, if you get clear oil your alright.
As far as my fogs are concerned, I found out why they weren't working. I let them sit for a few hours to dry off last night, but later on I noticed some fragments of the bulb on the inside of the fogs. Since I had aftermarket Xenon bulbs, they both exploded. I took them out and then I had to siphon some water out from one of the fogs. I put the stock bulbs back in this morning and had them on so I could dry out my fogs. But I think I'll be fine once I get some new bulbs. Oddly enough, I don't have 4 wheel drive but I managed to pull through just fine. But should I go about my diff the same even though I only have 2-wheel drive? Thanks. BTW where is the plug or plugs on my diff?

Last edited by Toreador_Diesel; 11-18-2003 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:21 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You still have a rear diff - check that one, it's cheap insurance.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:24 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
Hey T-Diesel:

I'm up here in Spring also. Work in Greenspoint and spent most of the day watching cars try and get through the lake (street) in front of my building! It was amazing watching the Civics create bow waves that went up their windshields. To their credit, they made it through though.

Glad to hear you made it home ok.

By the way, does anyone know how deep a F250 4x4 can get safely - assuming still water?

James

Old 11-19-2003, 01:10 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Stock? They never recomend above the center of your hubs. In real world it might be as high as your diff. breathers, and door sills. Land Rover says the air intake. Gassers have to be carefull of their spark plugs and the such. Diesels don't have to worry about that.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't the differentials have extensions on the vent tubes? I thought I saw some when I was under my truck the last time. I figure you can drive in deep water all the way up to the door sills, unless there is some other way water can get in the differentials.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
My stock breather hoses on my 2 trucks, the rear goes as high as the frame- fronts go as high as the middle of the inner fenderwell. water should not be able to get in any other ways.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, ok. I guess they aren't quite tall enough then. Would it be wise to extend the breather hoses? That would give us the option of treading deeper water in an emergency.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:20 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
It's a great idea! Cheap insurance. I'd just go to store and get longer hose, and replace the stocker- don't just put a coupler in it. You may even consider a small hose breather at the end of the hose also. You can look at the nearest auto store(one stop shopping), and get the hose and breather together. the breather might be with the crank case and " chrome stuff" section.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM
rmilchman
Elder User
OK, dumb question:
What is the purpose have having the breathers?

Old 11-19-2003, 09:12 PM
powerstrokin95
Freshman User
i am thinking without the breathers the insides of it can build pressure and maybe hurt a seal kind of like a breather on an engine

Old 11-19-2003, 09:24 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
It lets it breath with out letting dirt and such in. It should not build up any pressure as long as the breather is clean. You can get little K&N filter breathers.