1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Front Brake Drum Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 12:08 AM
RTT
Laughing Gas
Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts
69f100longbed360 , I applaud you for showing the service manual
I have a set of manuals & almost every manual made for this truck !!! ha , I used this manual when I did the back brake & am almost finished with the second back brake !!! I installed several parts 3 or 4 times from all the mistakes I made on my first rear brake because I have never done this before !!! I still must go back & install a washer I left off & a lever bracket to a spring that goes on a long lever that fell off & was lucky enough to find these part after I thought I was finished !!! The 2 parts I do not see in the service manual either.......Oh I have a wavy washer from my kit I do not know where it goes ha..........
Any way , if I can get these front hubs off I think I can do this & bleed my brakes I hope my lines are not rusted to bad or the master cylinder .
Your help is a tremendous asset & enormously appreciated ...........
Must be going now & will continue 2morrow ...........I do thank-you so very much......

Cross-Country

Old 03-06-2023, 12:14 AM
RTT
Laughing Gas
I do believe turning the adjuster nut one way will pull the shoes away & the opposite way will spread them apart . Of course I may b wrong..........

Old 03-06-2023, 12:34 AM
69f100longbed360
Mountain Pass
Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RTT
I do believe turning the adjuster nut one way will pull the shoes away & the opposite way will spread them apart . Of course I may b wrong..........
no you are correct. However, if it spins easily that’s tightening it, spin the opposite way to loosen. There is (for lack of the correct verbiage) a detention that makes it hard to loosen so your brakes don’t loosen themselves.

Old 03-06-2023, 12:39 AM
69f100longbed360
Mountain Pass
Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RTT
69f100longbed360 , I applaud you for showing the service manual
I have a set of manuals & almost every manual made for this truck !!! ha , I used this manual when I did the back brake & am almost finished with the second back brake !!! I installed several parts 3 or 4 times from all the mistakes I made on my first rear brake because I have never done this before !!! I still must go back & install a washer I left off & a lever bracket to a spring that goes on a long lever that fell off & was lucky enough to find these part after I thought I was finished !!! The 2 parts I do not see in the service manual either.......Oh I have a wavy washer from my kit I do not know where it goes ha..........
Any way , if I can get these front hubs off I think I can do this & bleed my brakes I hope my lines are not rusted to bad or the master cylinder .
Your help is a tremendous asset & enormously appreciated ...........
Must be going now & will continue 2morrow ...........I do thank-you so very much......

Cross-Country
can you post a pic of the “wavy washer”?

Last year I was doing the same thing you are and I hadn’t does drums in like 15 years so I was super rusty but once you do 1 the next one will be a breeze.

Since brakes are paramount to safety I replaced everything, drums, hardware/spring kit, wheel cylinder, soft lines (always a good idea that rubber gets brittle), shoes, wheel bearings, and I had so much play in my king pins I did those too.

it’s pretty inexpensive to just replace it all rather than praying nothing is defective over 50 years

Old 03-06-2023, 12:56 AM
nene
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RTT
THANK-YOU SO VERY MUCH
I think the cone part or hub is very slightly loose from the drum from me beating drum with a big hammer
I have beat , from the back & front , and turned the adjuster screw up I think to try to pull the shoes away from the hub............nothing has worked yet ,
Would removing the castle nut & bearing help You said nut does not have to come off , but that was before I mentioned the cone part ...
I do thank you...........
yes remove it. sorry for the confusion but it seems my phone must have changed it I meant to say yes you have to remove the spindle nut to remove the drum.

Old 03-06-2023, 10:04 PM
RTT
Laughing Gas
Removed about a tablespoon of heavy grease and the nut & bearing , cotter pin etc...etc...& hub & drum basically fell off
Such a good feeling.......plus all shoes & hardware are NEW , just a cob web or 2 and no dust........
I have not be feeling to good lately & not much done on truck but did take your advice & finally took of castle nut & wa-la.........success .
My service manual did mention taking off castle nut when you took off drum but the way it was written it did not specify it it HAD to be removed to take off front drum . It implied may as well do it to check on the condition of the wheel bearing
So lazy me & did not want to get greasy I did not take off castle nut until now..........
I have a couple of photos I will try to post 2morrow , wavy washer & spring bracket..........etc........
Thank-you all again..........