1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1982 F150 Skid Plate - Photo Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 11:31 AM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 622 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Randy from what I have seen posted it is worth it to add one if you can find all the parts.
Thing is not a lot of out trucks had the sway bar option.
I want to say the bars from the newer trucks (up to 97?) will work too so that may be an option in the junk yards as more of them had sway bars.

Even if that front cross member (skid plate you called it) is not made for a sway bar you can drill the holes needed to mount the bushings to it.
The hard part to come by is the axle end the links bolt to. They fit under the spring mount so that long bolt needs to be removed and the mount pulled off to get to the sway bar link mounts.
IIRC the 4x4 mounts are different than the 4x2 mounts, not sure on the bars being different between them?
I think someone made the mounts when they could not find any but I dont remember who or how it was done now.

I also want to say most of the rear bars from other models will also fit our trucks but the front was the biggest improvement.
Do a search in here for sway bars for more information.
Dave ----
Dave, did you install only front sway bars and saw some handling improvement? I imagine they help with over steering especially on short wheel base trucks. There was a camper package offered for builds that included front and rear anti sway bars.

I don't have them on my truck but super cab long bed makes for a long wheelbase which naturally has more directional stability.

For a short wheelbase hotrod leaning truck you'd probably enjoy having them. For a dump hauler weekend warrior truck, hmmm maybe not worth the effort and expense?

Old 02-19-2023, 01:19 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,774 Likes on 1,437 Posts
If you want the softest ride possible, then do not use a sway bar. The suspension will follow the road better without the sway bar. But for sway control for heavy loads and cornering, they give a big improvement.

For instance in the spring after a long winter, a lot of the back roads will have dips in them along the white fog line on the edge of the pavement. Without a sway bar the passenger side tires will be free to drop down in the dips. With a sway bar it will resist the one tire dropping in the dip, and you will definitely feel it more in the ride quality.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue2
Dave, did you install only front sway bars and saw some handling improvement? I imagine they help with over steering especially on short wheel base trucks. There was a camper package offered for builds that included front and rear anti sway bars.

I don't have them on my truck but super cab long bed makes for a long wheelbase which naturally has more directional stability.

For a short wheelbase hotrod leaning truck you'd probably enjoy having them. For a dump hauler weekend warrior truck, hmmm maybe not worth the effort and expense?
No I did not add or even have any sway bars to put on my truck.
At first it was a handful when you went around a corner but after 3 years on the road it is not that big a deal.
Besides with a 300 six and a truck shifting transmission we are not racing anywhere LOL

I would like to give them a try and have looked into the options to make it happen but I am in no rush to go out and find them ATM.
Dave ----

Old 02-19-2023, 01:58 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 622 Likes on 543 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
No I did not add or even have any sway bars to put on my truck.
At first it was a handful when you went around a corner but after 3 years on the road it is not that big a deal.
Besides with a 300 six and a truck shifting transmission we are not racing anywhere LOL

I would like to give them a try and have looked into the options to make it happen but I am in no rush to go out and find them ATM.
Dave ----
Yep, I wasn't thinking of your setup as the hot rod package. I'm sure if the chips were down you know how to push your truck quite well.

I'm thinking that putting money into good shocks would be a first step in improving handling. If you wanted a stiffer ride after that go with the bars...I'm quite happy without them.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:05 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,904 Posts
I am running KYB's at all 4 corners.
If I was looking for it to handle better I would lower it first using JDM parts front & rear then sway bars.
If I really wanted it to handle I would do a crown vic frame frame swap and work on the CV suspension like stiffer springs, adjustable shocks and larger sway bars.

Then again I would finish building and drive my 70 AMC Javelin with the 360 & 5sp that has KYB shocks and larger sway bars front & rear.
Just need to lower it a little bit.
And for 1/4 mile drag racing I have a 2nd 70 Javelin I build for it.
Yea I got toys
Dave ----

Old 02-20-2023, 06:36 AM
bigsteve2011
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandyPDX
He @bigsteve2011 Thanks. Question for you. Did your's come stock w/the Sway bar? My 1982 f150 2wd doesn't have them. Is it worthwhile to get it? I wouln't think I need it, I am not rocking curves going at high speed. Your opinion: Worthwhile for me to try and get installed for my truck?
No mine didn't. I added front and rear 7/8" bars.
The bar I got was from 92-96 truck. Had to get those spring perches as well since there is a mount for the end link brackets in them.
It's hard to say since I redid the entire front and rear suspension bushings, went with poly bushings everywhere.
I am sure it helps but so did the new bushings everywhere.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:51 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,774 Likes on 1,437 Posts
What surprised me is how replacing the body mount bushings helped the handling of my Bronco. I used the harder poly bushings. And while it is a little nosier inside the pass compartment, it handles like a slot car around the turns now compared to the rubber bushings.