Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What makes Ford tougher?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:10 PM
seftonm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes Ford tougher?

First thing, I just joined so please excuse me if I seem ignorant. I have seen a bunch of people posting that Ford is better because they beat everyone else in toughness. How do people figure this? Outside of these forums I have not read much about how tough Ford trucks are, other than that slogan. Basically, I would like to know how people decided that Ford makes the toughest trucks. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Dustin_86
Posting Guru
They can take one hell of a beaten and keep ticken or at least mine do! Just a little matmaince
is all they need
Dustin

Old 11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The reasons I state below are based on my own experiences from being in the construction business for 23 years & being around the farm for a lifetime.
My experience in-corporates Ford, Chevy, GMC,Dodge,Fargo & International

Longer stroked engine = Highly rated > Low RPM Torque >which is needed for hauling things that Trucks are supposed to do.

Ford's frame seems to be able to withstand more punishment.

Ford,GM & Mopars have had varying degrees of RUST OUT of the bodies.
It seemed to me that Ford lasted longer, being driven in varying climates.

I always felt that Ford's Rode better than the others yet still did the Job at hand better.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:09 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford is the best all-around truck. They haul good, run good, last a good while, and look good. They make power in the appropriate area for a truck (low end) and can get up and go if needed.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:35 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the above, Ford trucks are ment to last, and take abuse. There are many people here who have older Fords that are still they're everyday work horse

Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 PM
FORD DIESEL
Senior User

every thing you guys & ford club members,,say above is true blue 100% true ford loyal to the blue oval..

I couldn't say it any better,,you guys take the words right of mouth,,
thank you James

Old 11-12-2003, 03:28 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i can speak of off orad durability and pull ability. First let me say the ford six is the most underestimated motor. I off road my truck ALOT and i never cece to amaze people that are new to our group (im the only ford owner) as to how well a truck whith no lift and just 33" tires does. I have even been able to do alot of things that stop the chevy 350 equiped Blazers on 35" tires(they have more power, less wheelbase and more clearance and i still out do em). And then about towing, my truck is built a little bit but not alot. I dont know how much my tow rating is but i do know its enough to pull a 7,000lbs truck(old suburban whith a Big block) up a 5% grade. And how about pulling the same truck out of mud up to its frame, and the only way i could pull it was sideways. That and ford refuses to put IFS on its SDs today. It just seems like ford makes a decent truck to me

Old 11-12-2003, 09:44 AM
jeb
Elder User
It's all just hype, IMO. Just like Chevy's "Like a rock" thing. If you listen to Chevy, more of their trucks are still on the road than anyone elses. I'm sure there are all kinds of ways to play with those numbers so I'm sure that's marketing hype, too.

All of the new American full sized trucks are well built and will last a good long time.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:24 AM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i am in agreement whith that last statement. It depends on whos turning the wrench. But fords do have longer strokes on thier motors and thus make more low end power. And i still kinda think the older fords are deamonicly capable off road, and i do have more faith in em becouse they havent fallen into IFS land...

Old 11-13-2003, 03:23 PM
ray_bone40
Junior User
i think it depends on how you keep you car tuned up and how good of an engine you got cause to me some people get a car and drive the crap out of them and other people get a car and it just a hastle to keep it cause it has to many problems so i think it just how they build them

Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 PM
FORD DIESEL
Senior User
Originally posted by jeb
It's all just hype, IMO. Just like Chevy's "Like a rock" thing. If you listen to Chevy, more of their trucks are still on the road than anyone elses. I'm sure there are all kinds of ways to play with those numbers so I'm sure that's marketing hype, too.

All of the new American full sized trucks are well built and will last a good long time.
its not all hype,, one thing {CHEV MARKETING IDIOT} better get right is ford have been saying its for yrs more of their trucks, are still on the road past 27 yrs and longer,, CHEV just copy that term because they are just
[COPYCAT =WANTBE,,, ]

how many chey has any one out there seen doing heavy duty constru type work or other or farmer,,,most chev people just drive around ,, from pt a to pt b ,,, and carried kids around,,,

I know here on the west coast ford trucks do 95% of the heavy duty work{ tow trucks,, ambulances,, carried constru materials,,
telephone trucks... I know that 100% for sure...

Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Rogue Wake
New User
i can't speak for the competition b/c i'm new to the game, but... 5 days a week for almost 2 months this summer I had my 2wd ranger loaded to the axle with gravel, dirt, mulch, flagstone, and other fun stuff. She'd ride heavy enough to sit on the axle multiple times a day. Shes up to 70k miles and has never had anything done but regular oil changes. I just want to see how many other trucks will handle the repeated daily abuse my ranger got.

Old 11-14-2003, 08:47 AM
jeb
Elder User
Originally posted by FORD DIESEL
how many chey has any one out there seen doing heavy duty constru type work or other or farmer,,,most chev people just drive around ,, from pt a to pt b ,,, and carried kids around,,,
Not around here. GM trucks are king when it comes to seeing them on farms, construction sites, towing, etc. I'm sure it's regional. Chevy advertises they're the best selling trucks in "Southern MN and Northern Iowa" and it sure seems to be true. I see at least as many old chevy's running around as fords. Maybe more but I don't really pay that much attention to numbers of them.

Old 11-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
We have over 100 trucks in our work fleet (#109 was an F450 that we bought just last week). We have a mix of Ford, GM, Dodge and International. Our fleet manager has kept very detailed records over the last 10-12 years and he said the Ford trucks last longer and cost us less money to operate. We are in the sign and lighting business, so the type of duty our trucks experience can vary widely. We have standard 1/2 ton trucks for field managers and survey crews. 1 ton duallies with VersaLift man buckets. Many van bodies with service supplies. F600 or Kodiak type trucks with 55' hydraulic ladders and F800 or Internatkional trucks with hydraulic cranes (some reaching as high as 130').

All brands have problems, and they all require maintenance. Some guys take better care of their trucks and some guys beat the heck out of them. I don't think you'll ever get an objective answer to your question unless you ask someone who has sampled many different trucks under similiar conditions and has records that can back up their claims. Weed out the die hard Ford, Chevy and Dodge owners and you'll be left with people who make their truck decison based on facts and not emotion.

In Arizona, most of the municipality vehicles, utility company vehicles, general contractor's trucks are Ford Super Dutys for the most part. The local RV dealership (one of the biggest in the nation), has Ford Super Duty trucks lined up to pull their fifth wheels, (maybe an occasional Dodge mixed in there as well). I've never seen a GM truck towing a fifth wheel horse trailer yet. I'm sure they are capable....but around here people just choose to use a Ford or Dodge for that kind of heavy work. It sounds like Tucson is totally opposite from where "jeb" lives. It's very rare to see a GM truck doing any kind of heavy work around here.

When we are looking to add another truck to our service fleet, Ford is our first choice, then Dodge or International. If it's a GM, we give it a hard look before we decide to buy it. That's has been our experience so far.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:01 PM
FORD DIESEL
Senior User
Originally posted by Rogue Wake
i can't speak for the competition b/c i'm new to the game, but... 5 days a week for almost 2 months this summer I had my 2wd ranger loaded to the axle with gravel, dirt, mulch, flagstone, and other fun stuff. She'd ride heavy enough to sit on the axle multiple times a day. Shes up to 70k miles and has never had anything done but regular oil changes. I just want to see how many other trucks will handle the repeated daily abuse my ranger got.
thats very bad and not smart at all,,you need to use more common sense,, that truck was not met to do that kind of work,,it was met to carry load up to 750 lbs ford 1/2 ton can carry up to 1500 lbs,, with over load springs maybe 2500lbs that still pushing it,, it better have a manual tranny to.

if you going do that kind of work a lot it best to get a 3/4 ton truck. or rent a truck for that period of time of job.

Quick Reply: What makes Ford tougher?