New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 03:06 PM
Tireddave
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 ranger

Hello everyone. I'm new to this. I have a 91 Ranger, with a 3.0. The engine is dead. I have a 2004 Freestar that has a 4.2 V6, but is front wheel drive. Was going to give the van to my son, but has stated he would rather have the truck. So, I figured the van would be a good donor vehicle. Is there a way to convert the transmission, or should I look for a different one?

Old 09-17-2022, 05:06 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Welcome to FTE. The answer to your question(s) is located under the heading, "Small Chassis Trucks". The Ranger sub-section is there and the experts can tell you more about the truck then Ford knows.

For my two cents, I would located one of the many 4.0 V-6 engines. They were offered in the Ranger and parts are everywhere.

Don't forget to join your North Carolina State Chapter.

The following 2 users liked this post by pbsdaddy:
Old 09-22-2022, 11:16 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 756 Likes on 690 Posts
I agree with pbsdaddy ^^^^^^^ about finding a replacement RWD engine, and also that "1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series" would be the right place to go ask about this. It looks like you have a response waiting over there already!

Snap up a 4.0 that was made for the truck, or a 3.0 to make the transition easy. There's no easy way to convert a FWD transmission to a RWD.

Welcome aboard!