Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Need help rewiring voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 08:13 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help rewiring voltage regulator

Hello I'm having issues with my alternator not charging my battery. I just tore alternator down and cleaned real good with compressed air and a rag with rubbing alcohol, also replaced brushes and bearings on both ends. Still nothing. Looked up a video on how to test alternator/voltage reg by crossing the battery and field terminals while engine running and the voltage should jump up over 12volts(quick test so nothing get overloaded) and when I done this my starter tried to engage. So I obviously have something cross wired. Previous owner had this starter solenoid/voltage regulator area a wiring mess. So my question is what all needs hooked up to this circuit becides what's in this pic? I plan to rewire this whole circuit cuz the wiring is just janky. Seems to me I have more wiring then what this photo shows. I can post pictures of stuff if that will help any just let me know what/where.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-03-2022, 08:14 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Forgot to mention my truck is a 1985 ford f600 w/370 engine....

Old 09-04-2022, 09:59 AM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass

This red/yellow stripe wire activates buzzer under dash when 12v applied to this. It is not connected to anything???

These two yellow wires were connected inline with the voltage regulator to the A and S terminals connector. Dont remember which went where, but one of the wires when 12v applied activates my (emergency/back-up)electric brake motor for the power brake booster. And the other yellow wire i have not yet traced it down.... should these be connected inline with my voltage regulator????

Old 09-04-2022, 12:38 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 211 Likes on 141 Posts
Do you have an ammeter in your gauge cluster? If you do the wiring will probably be very similar to what’s indicated in the post linked below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15764846

Old 09-04-2022, 12:44 PM
Sport45
Fleet Mechanic
Received 211 Likes on 141 Posts
IIRC the “I” terminal is only used if you have a charge “I”ndicator on the dash, not an ammeter.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:29 PM
Diymechanicmike
Mountain Pass
Ok so I got the alternator charging battery, by hooking everything up as that diagram showed and just left out the extras. Had it running for about 20mins and seemed great battery was reading 13+ volts while idling and when I first started it and it idles higher to warm up it was reading 14.2ish volts so that tells me I'm charging great now. Also my trucks idle was much smoother and less smokey from unburnt fuel from the weak spark.

however these wires should probably be hooked up somewhere but I'm clueless as to where. The truck seemed to operate fine without them going anywhere and my brake booster motor came on when I push pedal. So I'm thinking maybe I should just wad them up and tape it up to a nicer and neater wad of wiring and label it "wires that should go somewhere but truck works fine???" Lol.

if anyone has info on the wiring for the 6 connectors on the passenger fender that would be awesome. The connectors that I need info on are the blue connector with 2 wires, dark orange or red connector with 4 wires, black connector with 4 wires, grey connector with 3 wires, white connector with 4 wires, and a bright orange connector with 3 wires.... also there are 5 connectors on the driver side fender, a yellow connector with 3 wires, bright orange connector with 3 wires, blue connector with 2 wires, black connector with 4 wires, and a white connector with 4 wires. If I can get info on all these connectors and the wiring I could get this rewired up somewhat correctly. But until then I'll just tidy up the wiring mess that isnt causing issues.

thanks,
mike