2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford hard folding tonneau cover option

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 06:02 PM
Mike in CA
Mountain Pass
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Ford hard folding tonneau cover option

Does anyone have the optional Ford tri-fold hard tonneau cover? What do you think of it? I have a Leer tri-fold cover on my F250 and like it, including the feature that allows you to use struts to prop up the cover behind the back of the cab to allow access to the entire bed.

I'm starting to think about what to order on a new F350 and am wondering whether to go with the Ford cover or go aftermarket. Any input would be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 06:15 PM
d7velo1
More Turbo
Received 395 Likes on 202 Posts
I had a BakFlip MX4 on an F-150 I just sold. I've already got another BakFlip MX4 for my ordered F-250 staged in the garage.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 PM
Mike in CA
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by d7velo1
I had a BakFlip MX4 on an F-150 I just sold. I've already got another BakFlip MX4 for my ordered F-250 staged in the garage.
Is there something, in your opinion, that makes the BakFlip a better choice than the Ford cover? It seems to be priced similarly.

As I mentioned, I like the Leer cover but if the Ford cover is comparable to the Leer and BakFlip it would be nice to have it come pre-installed and ready to go.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:32 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,453 Likes on 1,478 Posts
The Ford trifold cover and the Bakflip are the same covers but with different branding. My suggestion is not to order the tonneau with the truck and get one yourself. The only benefit is that the Ford tonneau will be covered under Fords warranty, but that’s not enough to sway me. By getting one yourself you will most likely find one less expensive, will still come with a warranty, and it won’t hold up your truck getting built, plus you won’t have to finance that cost into the trucks total cost.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
The Ford trifold cover and the Bakflip are the same covers but with different branding. My suggestion is not to order the tonneau with the truck and get one yourself. The only benefit is that the Ford tonneau will be covered under Fords warranty, but that’s not enough to sway me. By getting one yourself you will most likely find one less expensive, will still come with a warranty, and it won’t hold up your truck getting built, plus you won’t have to finance that cost into the trucks total cost.
Thanks for that info. So, the cover isn't installed on the main line but rather by a separate group at the factory? If true, I can see how that might cause a delay and by itself would be enough reason to go aftermarket.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:51 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for that info. So, the cover isn't installed on the main line but rather by a separate group at the factory? If true, I can see how that might cause a delay and by itself would be enough reason to go aftermarket.
Yeah, I actually had the trifold tonneau option on mine when I originally ordered, but I ended up removing it. No one knows what the future will hold... but with all the items that they had issues with on the 22's (which at one point did include the tonneau's) I decided that if it's something I can add aftermarket, I would rather do that. I'm not 100% sure where the tonneau's are installed at the factory, but I didn't want that to keep my truck from getting built. I also deleted the console safe that was on my order... however, I never got around to picking that up. But, I ended up getting the BakFlip tonneau for a little over $800 (which was quite a bit less than what Ford was going to charge me) and it was here weeks before my truck was. Installation took less than an hour and that was by myself. I'm of the mindset now that if I ever order a vehicle again, anything that I can put on myself self like this that is aftermarket, I will do so.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:22 AM
jr.nicholson
Cross-Country
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
I had Ford install the rolling hard tonneau cover, It is very nice and made by Retrax

Old 09-02-2022, 07:34 AM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Received 932 Likes on 470 Posts
My experience on the MX4 was terrible. On both of them I had (second one was a warranty replacement) the cushions that prevent metal on metal contact when folded last about 3-4 folds. After that you start getting surface scratches. Then the joints where it folds do not seat right when closing it so you gotta climb in the truck and fiddle with them until they latch, otherwise you'll have bulges at the joints. On my 3rd warranty replacement they told me it's a problem on the MX4 and offered to replace it with the rolling Revolver X4 cover. It arrived with 4 small holes in the fabric. I left it installed until they refunded my original purchase price and during those few weeks the fabric started to detach from the surface underneath and you could see it flop around while driving. I ended up going a completely different route. The only good thing I can say about Bakflip was they had good customer service however I think their products are garbage. It was odd to me also how quickly they offered up replacements and a refund, almost like it happens quite a bit.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:51 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
This one isnt a tri-fold, but will share just in case it works for you. I was really thinking of going with an ARE topper for this truck, but a paint-match concern chased me off that idea.
The 2 things I really wanted were it to be as dry as possible, and reasonably secure, so I went with the Diamondback SE.
The main idea is that I wouldn't have to unload the truck when travelling and parking at a location/hotel/etc, and obviously all the gear in the bed would stay dry..

They make a HD that can support nearly 1600 pounds, but I went with the SE which will support around 500lbs.

Strengths - its built very well. I dont see it wearing out. With the rain storms and frequent washing, I can say that it keeps the water out. And the locking mechanism seems better than most. It can come with anchor points pre-installed so you can haul on top, but I opted to have them included but not pre-installed in favor of a sleeker look.

Some potential considerations - its not cheap but the bakflip is climbing in price too. Also, you need to uninstall it in order to get full access to the bed, so for 5th/goose access its not reasonable, IMO. You can take in on/off in around 15 mins, but I wouldnt want to do it regularly. You can do it yourself, but having help is a big help. I dont tow 5th/goose, and I have a utility trailer I use for anything I need to haul that wont fit under the cover, so this works for me.

I had 2 bakflip covers on the 2 previous trucks I had. The first was prior to the M2 version and was replaced under warranty when the plastic panels cracked, so bakflip stands behind their stuff. The next version I had was aluminum (I think the M2) and it lasted.

Last edited by ThirdsACharm; 09-02-2022 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 09-02-2022, 07:55 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cpobst
My experience on the MX4 was terrible. On both of them I had (second one was a warranty replacement) the cushions that prevent metal on metal contact when folded last about 3-4 folds. After that you start getting surface scratches. Then the joints where it folds do not seat right when closing it so you gotta climb in the truck and fiddle with them until they latch, otherwise you'll have bulges at the joints. On my 3rd warranty replacement they told me it's a problem on the MX4 and offered to replace it with the rolling Revolver X4 cover. It arrived with 4 small holes in the fabric. I left it installed until they refunded my original purchase price and during those few weeks the fabric started to detach from the surface underneath and you could see it flop around while driving. I ended up going a completely different route. The only good thing I can say about Bakflip was they had good customer service however I think their products are garbage. It was odd to me also how quickly they offered up replacements and a refund, almost like it happens quite a bit.
I have had similar issues with my MX4. It's been installed now for just over 11 months and the foam is still holding up fine on mine and I haven't had any surface scratches. However, the end caps at the folds were popping out quite often, which would not let that area lay flat in the channels when closing it. I had to fold it back open and push the end caps back in and then very carefully close it back. If they could figure out how to make the end caps stay put my cover would be great. I will admit, since I became aware of it and started paying more attention to how I am closing the tonneau I haven't had it happen as much... in fact, it hasn't happened at all in the last 3 months, but it is frustrating when it happens. I actually have a replacement for it here at the house that they sent me a few months ago. I haven't replaced it yet since I just got back home a few days ago and been busy with other things, but they did ship out the replacement without much trouble. However, I think that now that I have taken so long to get back and get them swapped I think they "cancelled" my warranty since I haven't sent them pictures of the original one destroyed yet... I told them when they shipped it this would happen... oh well. I figure at this point I will keep that one in the box until the one on the truck starts acting up again.

Also, in August I took my truck to have it washed, clay barred and waxed. While at the detail shop I looked at small displays of a bunch of different covers. The Lomax folding cover looked the best to me. It looked like it had a cleaner, more flush fit than the MX4. It was noticeably thinner than the MX4 though. I have stood on my MX4 several times while cleaning the roof of the truck and it's not been a problem. The Lomax is also rated at 400 lbs though. The only other thing worth noting about the Lomax is that it is only 3 folds instead of 4. For me (at this point) it doesn't matter but the ones with 3 folds will cover the center back light (and camera if so equipped) whereas the one with 4 folds won't (on 6'9" beds... they will on an 8' bed). But, they are all about the same price last I looked, and honestly, there's probably not a ton of difference in all these folding hard covers. Just little things to make them "unique". But if I need to replace my MX4 I may just try that Lomax cover. I hope not though because I don't want to spend $1k on a different cover... LOL!

Old 09-02-2022, 08:57 AM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 378 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Does anyone have the optional Ford tri-fold hard tonneau cover? What do you think of it? I have a Leer tri-fold cover on my F250 and like it, including the feature that allows you to use struts to prop up the cover behind the back of the cab to allow access to the entire bed.

I'm starting to think about what to order on a new F350 and am wondering whether to go with the Ford cover or go aftermarket. Any input would be appreciated.
Yes, I had/have one. I ordered one for my 2021. Hail storm killed it. Ins Co covered a new one and body shop installed it on my new 2022. I love it except for one thing. The snap clip that keeps it from folding when unfolded, is cheesy. 1 broke on my last cover and I had to order a set of them from an after market company which was not a terrible expense. No other complaints about it. It is light weight and easy to fold/unfold. 1 more thing, you cannot shut your tailgate with it closed or you'll ruin the seal. Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Mike in CA
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by MKrenn
Yes, I had/have one. I ordered one for my 2021. Hail storm killed it. Ins Co covered a new one and body shop installed it on my new 2022. I love it except for one thing. The snap clip that keeps it from folding when unfolded, is cheesy. 1 broke on my last cover and I had to order a set of them from an after market company which was not a terrible expense. No other complaints about it. It is light weight and easy to fold/unfold. 1 more thing, you cannot shut your tailgate with it closed or you'll ruin the seal. Hope this helps.
It does help. It's interesting about not being able to close the tailgate with the cover closed since that's the opposite of my current Leer cover which has to be closed before the tailgate. I think I might prefer the ability to open and close the tailgate without having to mess with the cover, but it's just personal preference.

Anyway, some great feedback from everyone. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:46 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,603 Posts
The BAK MX4, and possibly some of their other folding covers, do allow for the tailgate to be closed while the cover is down without damage to any seal.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4wd6.7L:
Old 09-03-2022, 10:56 AM
jghaviland
Cross-Country
Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
I originally ordered the ford folding hard cover but removed it from the order, it was extending the leadtime for the truck. I went aftermarket with the Revolver 4S and really love it. I put two pontoon fishing boats stacked on top of it, very secure and good quailty.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:10 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 378 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd6.7L
The BAK MX4, and possibly some of their other folding covers, do allow for the tailgate to be closed while the cover is down without damage to any seal.
My son in law has this one on his GMC. I would have got this one had I not been able to keep my old cover......

Quick Reply: Ford hard folding tonneau cover option