6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2017 6.7 High Fuel Pressure Code issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 09:07 AM
Twofiddy67!
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 6.7 High Fuel Pressure Code issue

Hi, I have a 2017 F250 diesel. It is deleted and tuned with EZLYnk auto agent 2. It has the five position switch installed, but I never found that very useful for my needs. I currently have a 75 hp tune downloaded. I am getting code P01C6 Fuel Press Sens A High. I started getting list code when I had the 30-150 hp tune running with the five position switch. I also had code P0813 for Fuel Temp Sens A Circ High. This code triggered the engine light and displayed a “reduced power” message. Although I was able to clear this code with the code reader and I have not seen it since. I was told by the tech to delete that tune and try a different tune. So that’s when I downloaded the 75 hp tune. I also tried running with no extra HP tune.

neither of those got rid of the code. So then I tried replacing the fuel pressure sensor, that did not clear the code either. So now I am wondering what I should do? My uncle just spent 10 K on his 2011 super duty getting the entire fuel system replaced for a similar issue. So I am looking to get this solved quickly. Any advice would be super appreciated.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:13 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,017 Likes on 778 Posts
my experience with high fuel pressure codes is limited but may provide some additional perspective

a. are you positve you replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor?

b. sensor isses - use forscan to veiw requested fuel pressure ( a PID) vs actual fuel pressure (a different PID), is the actual actually different than the requested.

c. vaporization issues - so I have found I can cuase a high fuel rail pressue error on purp[ose by adding fuel additives that boil....run pure fuel and no high pressure fuel errors...drain your water sperator and check for water...are you using any additives that emulsify the water into the fuel...this may cuase boiling.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-23-2022, 10:17 AM
Twofiddy67!
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
my experience with high fuel pressure codes is limited but may provide some additional perspective

a. are you positve you replaced the fuel rail pressure sensor?

b. sensor isses - use forscan to veiw requested fuel pressure ( a PID) vs actual fuel pressure (a different PID), is the actual actually different than the requested.

c. vaporization issues - so I have found I can cuase a high fuel rail pressue error on purp[ose by adding fuel additives that boil....run pure fuel and no high pressure fuel errors...drain your water sperator and check for water...are you using any additives that emulsify the water into the fuel...this may cuase boiling.

The fuel pressure sensor I replaced screwed into the silver metal fuel line by the upper fuel filter. I haven’t used any additives since last winter. And I just changed the fuel filters less than a month ago. I check the water separator every month, I never have any water drain out, it’s usually just straight clean diesel fuel.

I’ve heard of Forscan mentioned before, but I
have no knowledge of what it is. Is it something most dealers/mechanics have?

Here is a picture of the fuel pressure sensor I bought for it.

This is the sensor I replaced

Old 08-23-2022, 10:26 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
So it sounds like you replaced the sensor that is on the hard line from the fuel filter.

i think the sensor you need is below the inter cooler tubes at the end of the fuel rail.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:50 AM
Twofiddy67!
5th Wheeling
So it sounds like you replaced the sensor that is on the hard line from the fuel filter.

i think the sensor you need is below the inter cooler tubes at the end of the fuel rail.

Ok, I see what you are talking about now. I didn’t realize there were two different pressure sensors. But I went out and took a look under the hood, looks like it’s in a tight spot, it’ll be a fun one to replace 😐. But I got one ordered, hopefully this one will fix the issue.

thanks for the quick responses!

Old 08-23-2022, 10:57 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Twofiddy67!
Ok, I see what you are talking about now. I didn’t realize there were two different pressure sensors. But I went out and took a look under the hood, looks like it’s in a tight spot, it’ll be a fun one to replace 😐. But I got one ordered, hopefully this one will fix the issue.

i used to think the one on the hard line was the fuel rail pressure sensor as well…..during a banks derringer install I was led to the a rial fuel rail pressure sensor in the location below the inter cooler tube mounted on the actual end of the fuel rail.

it is a scratch the heck out of your arm position.

in not sure what the purpose of the sensor you replaced is and you should double check to make sure you don’t put a pressure sensor in a position where it should be a temp sensor, etc.

i would be interested in your findings…. And I will post any updates if I come a Roos any clarity.

do let us know of the outcome.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:13 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

fuel rail pressure sensor

Old 08-23-2022, 11:14 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

fuel pressure switch

Old 08-23-2022, 11:16 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

see my pics....one for pressure switch the other for pressure sensor. make sure you didnt put a sensor in the switch position.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:55 AM
colossians3:23
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

fuel pressure switch
The fuel pressure "switch" in this picture, is the sensor that measures low side fuel pressure from your LOW Pressure Fuel Pump. The sensor to the left is a fuel temp sensor. That setup is only on the 11-14 6.7's. The 15's and up have ONE sensor that does both, which would be the one you replaced.

The fuel rail pressure sensor is on the FRONT of the fuel RAIL and it measures pressure from your HIGH Pressure Fuel Pump (CP4). Easily accessed by removing the hotside pipe, its a 1-1/16th socket if I remember correctly

And the fuel pressure regulator is on the BACK of the fuel rail and it regulates rail pressure for the injectors

Be warned that replacing sensors may not be the solution as they often act up when something else is seriously wrong (like debris in the rail). hopefully thats not the case for you...

Old 08-23-2022, 12:03 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by colossians3:23
The fuel pressure "switch" in this picture, is the sensor that measures low side fuel pressure from your LOW Pressure Fuel Pump. The sensor to the left is a fuel temp sensor. That setup is only on the 11-14 6.7's. The 15's and up have ONE sensor that does both, which would be the one you replaced.

The fuel rail pressure sensor is on the FRONT of the fuel RAIL and it measures pressure from your HIGH Pressure Fuel Pump (CP4)

And the fuel pressure regulator is on the BACK of the fuel rail and it regulates rail pressure for the injectors

Be warned that replacing sensors may not be the solution as they often act up when something else is seriously wrong (like debris in the rail). hopefully thats not the case for you...

great info…

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-30-2022, 01:49 PM
Twofiddy67!
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by colossians3:23

The fuel rail pressure sensor is on the FRONT of the fuel RAIL and it measures pressure from your HIGH Pressure Fuel Pump (CP4). Easily accessed by removing the hotside pipe, its a 1-1/16th socket if I remember correctly

Thanks for that info! I got the rail pressure sensor replaced this time. After replacing it, the truck would NOT start. I made sure it was screwed in all the way and the plug was secure, but still no start. I put the old sensor in and this time it started. The ford dealership has a sensor in stock, but for $205!! Insane.

My uncle had junk in his fuel system on his 6.7, he has spent over $10k trying to get it fixed, and they have been working on it for 4 months! I would want to avoid this situation, do you think this sensor issue could be a sign of junk in the fuel system? What should I be doing to prevent it? Sell the truck? Haha, kinda serious though.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:08 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Thanks for that info! I got the rail pressure sensor replaced this time. After replacing it, the truck would NOT start. I made sure it was screwed in all the way and the plug was secure, but still no start. I put the old sensor in and this time it started. The ford dealership has a sensor in stock, but for $205!! Insane.

My uncle had junk in his fuel system on his 6.7, he has spent over $10k trying to get it fixed, and they have been working on it for 4 months! I would want to avoid this situation, do you think this sensor issue could be a sign of junk in the fuel system? What should I be doing to prevent it? Sell the truck? Haha, kinda serious though.

there is such a thing as defective new parts.

where did you buy it?

Old 08-30-2022, 03:37 PM
Twofiddy67!
5th Wheeling
there is such a thing as defective new parts.

where did you buy it?

It was a $45 part off eBay. Not an OEM part, but same part number.

I was talking with my uncle who has a 2011 6.7, he said a high fuel pressure code is where his fuel system problems started.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:06 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,440 Likes on 4,689 Posts
It was a $45 part off eBay. Not an OEM part, but same part number.

I was talking with my uncle who has a 2011 6.7, he said a high fuel pressure code is where his fuel system problems started.
That right there... Made in China crap.

Great info here.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2017 6.7 High Fuel Pressure Code issue