1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V running like a diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 09:44 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 426 Likes on 341 Posts
I'd say at this point the mechanic is off the hook, i wouldn't accept responsibility if i did the work. If you brought it back right after the work was done, that's one thing, but even though you thought there was still an issue, you decided to hook up your 5th wheel anyway and did more damage. Can't blame the mechanic for that.

Like others have said you're most likely looking at a new engine now.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-17-2022, 11:00 PM
matt-ford
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well she’s still running. Couple of updates. The flakes I thought were in the oil were actually in the oil catch pan that I used to change the oil, the problems I had pulling my fifth wheel actually were caused by a broken wire on one of the VVT solenoid connectors. The rough idle had seemed to be getting better but as the weather got colder I started to notice the temp gauge wasn’t going up past 1/4 and then I started getting low coolant temperature codes. I changed the thermostat and that brought the temp gauge back up to 1/2 but now it’s suddenly running worse than ever. It’s still fine up to operating temp but once it hits operating temp and the VVT solenoids kick in I have to drive like I’m in a high speed chase to keep it from shaking and idling rough and the smell of gas in the exhaust is making me sick not to mention sitting at the lights sounding like an old model T. I wish I never would have changed that thermostat and now I’m wondering if there is a way to bypass the temp sensor so it doesn’t kick the VVT sensors in

Old 11-18-2022, 10:37 AM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 496 Likes on 327 Posts
I didn't read back through all, though I have followed this from the beginning, but can't remember if you have tried this or not.

Try hooking up a scan tool and see what the O2 sensors are doing when hot. You may have a bad one that doesn't show up until the engine gets hot enough to let the O2 sensors control the fuel.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:47 PM
redford
Received 1,628 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by matt-ford
Well she’s still running. Couple of updates. The flakes I thought were in the oil were actually in the oil catch pan that I used to change the oil, the problems I had pulling my fifth wheel actually were caused by a broken wire on one of the VVT solenoid connectors. The rough idle had seemed to be getting better but as the weather got colder I started to notice the temp gauge wasn’t going up past 1/4 and then I started getting low coolant temperature codes. I changed the thermostat and that brought the temp gauge back up to 1/2 but now it’s suddenly running worse than ever. It’s still fine up to operating temp but once it hits operating temp and the VVT solenoids kick in I have to drive like I’m in a high speed chase to keep it from shaking and idling rough and the smell of gas in the exhaust is making me sick not to mention sitting at the lights sounding like an old model T. I wish I never would have changed that thermostat and now I’m wondering if there is a way to bypass the temp sensor so it doesn’t kick the VVT sensors in
No, but you can lock the VVT phasers. Do a search on "5.4l cam phaser lockout kit" you will find many 4.6L/5.4L kits.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:02 PM
matt-ford
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven’t tried the O2 sensor test. The driver side exhaust manifold has a pretty good crack in it and with the rich smelling exhaust that comes out of there when it’s running rough I’m betting the catalytic converters are getting pretty plugged. I have new manifolds but no time to change them. That’s why I was hoping for an easy way of locking the VVT solenoids like just removing the communication from the temp sensor to kick them in. I don’t have time to rip the motor apart to do a lockout kit. Wish I hadn’t changed the thermostat. There were days it never got above normal operating temp and it was nice not having the rough idle issue although I don’t know how great that is for the motor