2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F-550 Pickup Option

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 02:46 PM
406f150
Laughing Gas
Received 306 Likes on 200 Posts
F-550 Pickup Option

First off, these are NOT a a factory Ford option. They are built by Elevation Off Grid in Colorado ( https://www.elevationoffgrid.com/ ), but still a neat turnkey option.

The "Limitless" model comes with factory ride height and factory 19.5" wheels and tires. The advantage over a F-450 pickup is the full Liquid Spring suspension that supposedly offers a smooth ride, auto leveling, and a 10K payload. I wasn't aware of this system before but it looks really slick!

"Black" and "Peak" are super single models with bumpers, lighting, etc. with 9500lb+ payload.

TFL video with more info from the builder and pricing info at the end:

Aside from the derated power of the CC I would love a Limitless model with a flatbed for my next rig. Just not sure how the super single models would work in the snow?

Old 07-11-2022, 04:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Nice truck, Bet it could do some work but snow wise, hard to say.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:01 PM
F450_on_44s
Cross-Country
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I am doing a similar build right now with DBL Design. Depending on the use case and budget there are pro's and con's to all of these solutions. I looked at Elevation's build but it did not check the boxes for "what I wanted". If you are doing a bed camper that is super heavy then this F550 build is the way to go for sure! The liquid spring setup is very cool if you have 15k to spend on suspension upgrades. I have ridden in one and it is very nice. Downside to the F550 is you cannot get the higher trims. I am spoiled now and want heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise control and a sunroof. Insurance is also an issue on an F550 because it's a "commercial vehicle".

I decided to go with a F450 Platinum Pickup because I want all the luxuries inside, the full power but wanted a short bed so I can still park in the garage and around town. DBL Design does a long bed to short bed conversion and I'm using a new F250 short bed. Again, everyone has a different needs and wants. Unfortunately Liquid Spring has had a lot of technical issues and I think they dropped support for the F450 pickup chassis in 2021, now they only do cabin chassis's. That is what I was originally planning on doing but switched to the full Carli Pintop King suspension with long travel airbags in the rear.

The liquid spring suspension is solid but I think it needs to on a rig you run loaded regularly like an in bed camper or full time gooseneck setup. I don't think you can causally cruise around unloaded 90% of the time and have a smooth ride, but I may be wrong.

For the tire question - I am hopefully only a few weeks out till my truck is finished then I will do a thread with the full build details and my impressions. I live in the mountains with a lot of snow, so I plan to put the Goodyear G725 tires to a good test. Incase anyone is wondering the main two super single tires are the Goodyear G275 and Continental MPT 81 tires. I love the aggressive looks of the Conti's but the Goodyear G275 are speed rated for 81 MPH (Utah has 80MPH speed limits on the freeway) and the Conti's only for 68MPH. Sure you "can" go faster than the rating but risk the tire getting too hot, especially in our 100 degree weather and blowing a $800-$1000 tire because you drive to fast. The 365 size of Goodyear has an 8,000+ weight rating so you aren't going to max that out with anything on the F450/F550 chassis.

The following 3 users liked this post by F450_on_44s:
Old 07-11-2022, 06:05 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Would love to have one. It my insurance will not cover over 15k gvwr.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:35 PM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I just watched this Video on You Tube. Then I came on here and see this thread. NICE!!!!! I was looking at doing this to mine. Wondering if DBL Design would do this or do you have to do it? Maybe even Kelderman? This is very interesting.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 08:09 PM
F450_on_44s
Cross-Country
I don't know if DBL Design does Kelderman suspension installs but you could call and ask. I know they do a ton of Carli and Liquid Spring installs. They have three different fender options and a couple different wheel options (steel or aluminum). I have very similar billet aluminum super single wheels like this picture being made right now, but like I said I'm going to be running the G275's for the freeway driving speed, but the Conti's look so good! I wish Goodyear had a more aggressive looking option. Those are the DBL Gen2 front fenders and they make a matching set of rear fenders which look so much better than the ford dually fenders (in my opinion).

I'm not affiliated with DBL, just a customer but you should check them out. You can buy all the parts (fenders, gears, wheels, tires) and install them yourself or have them do it at their shop. I sourced my F450 through DBL's contacts and go a really killer deal back in March 2021. Only downside is with the supply chain delays from Ford, Carli and a few other places things have taken way longer that I had hoped. I think there is like 100 trucks in queue @ DBL to be worked on but if you want to wait it's a killer setup.

Can anyone with an F550 chime in on insurance costs through a LLC? I'm curious because my 2022 F450 Pickup is around $65 a month. Farm Bureau Insurance wouldn't cover an F550 and I had to get an exception for the F450 Pickup, but it was pretty easy.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:18 PM
F450_on_44s
Cross-Country
Here is a YouTube video with the DBL Front and rear Gen2 fenders. I'm going with a new Gen3 fender design, which is closer to the Raptor fenders, but this video is what got my interested in this 18 months ago.

Old 07-12-2022, 07:22 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
so get an f-550 and remove the front and rear springs and do soft ride stuff to it......well aside from the rear axle internals...you could do the exact same thing with an f-450 and wind up exactly the same. unless you need a high gvwr door sticker and can get insurance for it and are in a state where combined gvwr does not need to be less than 26000.

either way soft ride stuff is gooder

Old 07-12-2022, 09:32 AM
1olddogtwo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 455 Likes on 284 Posts
I have yet to hear, see, know anyone get personal insurance on a 550.

The main reason for the F450 derated is to get insurance. That's why the 350 and 450 have the same GVW of 14K

Old 07-12-2022, 10:52 AM
WK15
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts
This is why I would like to do this to my F450 and keep all the goodies in my truck.

Old 07-12-2022, 01:41 PM
leestep69
4wd High
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Certainly nice only downside i see is you have a fleet engine that only puts out about 330hp and 800lb of touque compared to the 475hp and 1000lb of a regular 450 truck with a bed and with all that extra weight with the tires and wheels its gonna be fairly sluggish to say the least.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:37 PM
F450_on_44s
Cross-Country
DBL Design sells an option to re-gear the F450/F550 to 6.17 ratio and adjust the speedo. I haven't seen any other up fitter company doing that. I believe that will solve some the sluggish feeling of those huge tires. I am also doing upgraded front and rear brake rotors and pads to help add some more stopping power. Alcon also makes an upgraded front Caliper if you feel like spending another 4k, but I'm going this route first.

Even though the F450/F550 has tons of torque I plan to tow with my rig so I think the re-gear is a must. If I had a 6 speed I might not re-gear but since I have a 2022 with the 10 speed it can still go 80mph and be at low rpm with the 6.17 gears according to DBL. We will see! I have almost 2,000 mile road trip to break it in after I pick it up in a few weeks.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:07 PM
406f150
Laughing Gas
Received 306 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by F450_on_44s
I am doing a similar build right now with DBL Design. Depending on the use case and budget there are pro's and con's to all of these solutions. I looked at Elevation's build but it did not check the boxes for "what I wanted". If you are doing a bed camper that is super heavy then this F550 build is the way to go for sure! The liquid spring setup is very cool if you have 15k to spend on suspension upgrades. I have ridden in one and it is very nice. Downside to the F550 is you cannot get the higher trims. I am spoiled now and want heated/cooled seats, adaptive cruise control and a sunroof. Insurance is also an issue on an F550 because it's a "commercial vehicle".

I decided to go with a F450 Platinum Pickup because I want all the luxuries inside, the full power but wanted a short bed so I can still park in the garage and around town. DBL Design does a long bed to short bed conversion and I'm using a new F250 short bed. Again, everyone has a different needs and wants. Unfortunately Liquid Spring has had a lot of technical issues and I think they dropped support for the F450 pickup chassis in 2021, now they only do cabin chassis's. That is what I was originally planning on doing but switched to the full Carli Pintop King suspension with long travel airbags in the rear.

The liquid spring suspension is solid but I think it needs to on a rig you run loaded regularly like an in bed camper or full time gooseneck setup. I don't think you can causally cruise around unloaded 90% of the time and have a smooth ride, but I may be wrong.

For the tire question - I am hopefully only a few weeks out till my truck is finished then I will do a thread with the full build details and my impressions. I live in the mountains with a lot of snow, so I plan to put the Goodyear G725 tires to a good test. Incase anyone is wondering the main two super single tires are the Goodyear G275 and Continental MPT 81 tires. I love the aggressive looks of the Conti's but the Goodyear G275 are speed rated for 81 MPH (Utah has 80MPH speed limits on the freeway) and the Conti's only for 68MPH. Sure you "can" go faster than the rating but risk the tire getting too hot, especially in our 100 degree weather and blowing a $800-$1000 tire because you drive to fast. The 365 size of Goodyear has an 8,000+ weight rating so you aren't going to max that out with anything on the F450/F550 chassis.
I too have become accustomed to some of my F-450 platinum features. As long as it comes with heated/cooled seats I could live without the multi-contour option, though I do like it. I'm not crazy about the adaptive cruise. Some AMP power running boards would also be a necessity. The lifted super single look is cool, but I don't really do any off-roading. Gooseneck towing and hauling a couple snowmobiles on the bed are my primary needs. So stock height with a nice flatbed, good suspension, and winter-rated tires would actually serve me best. The flatbed would allow me clearance to do a lifted truck, but the limited tire choices push me away.

I originally thought I wanted a full Kelderman air system for ride, auto leveling, and dropping the rear when hooking up to trailers. That was prior to learning about the Liquid Spring system. It seems to claim the same features without the worry of freeze ups and dynamically adjusting to the driving conditions. What issues did you hear about with Liquid Spring that sent you in the Carli direction? Any reduction in turning radius running the bigger tires?

Just called my insurance agent and I would need a commercial policy, but it's the same monthly premium for a 2022, crew cab, Lariat, F-550 as I currently pay on my 2017, Platinum F-450 pickup. I also get to license whatever GVWR I want up to 26k without a CDL requirement. So those are not really a factor for me in my state.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:02 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
I would rather put a C&C rear frame section on a 450 platinum and do a custom flat bed and SRW conversion. Seems more useful than a 9ft pickup bed.

Those custom SRW bedsides on those 450/550 do look cool though.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:45 PM
F450_on_44s
Cross-Country
As you know the rear frame is different on the F450 pickup vs the F450/550 cabin chassis. I heard there was some issues with the Liquid Spring F450 pickup bed configuration not riding well when unloaded, so I believe Liquid Spring stopped selling that configuration. Or at least that is what DBL Design told me at the beginning of the year. I think it has to do with the frame on the F450 pickup being curved so they used a smaller sized fluid reservoir? I know they are a huge Liquid Spring dealer, but maybe Liquid Spring sorted out the issues by now. I checked the website and it's still listed as an overland configuration. People doing overland usually have 500-1000lbs static weight in the bed for the bed rack, rooftop tent and all their gear. So maybe that use case is still solid for the F450 pickup bed configuration. I don't want to say anything negative about Liquid Spring, definitely a cool product but maybe not ideal if you drive around with an empty bed most of the time like I do.

I was pretty sad because it sounded amazing, but I found out after I had already purchased my 2022 F450 pickup. Carli was my first choice before I found out about Liquid Spring and CJC Off-road had it in stock when I was calling around so I went that route. I also looked at Kelderman which I hear is great and they have a setup for both the pickup and cabin chassis configurations. I live in Utah and do like to offload, camp, etc so I figured the Carli config was more suited to what I am doing. I don't tow everyday, otherwise I might have gone with Kelderman. If I had a F450/F550 cabin chassis I would definitely go Liquid Spring.

Now that I have the Carli Pintop 2.5 kit installed they just released the Carli E-Venture kit which looks so cool. I am seriously thinking about changing out my brand new pintop shocks for those electronically controlled units this fall, once they verify F450 compatibility.

Quick Reply: F-550 Pickup Option