Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Bluetooth to a stock head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 06:20 PM
arc_jpiv
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding Bluetooth to a stock head unit?

Hey y'all! Just got my hands on an '87 F250 with the old, pre-cassette head unit. I want to find a good way to play my own music without swapping to an ugly, modern unit. I've seen some people splice into the cassette player, but I don't have that option.

Are there any good ways to add Bluetooth or even just an AUX cable to the old unit? Thanks!

The unit in question

Old 06-15-2022, 06:51 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 984 Likes on 776 Posts
That would be a big no... unless you have a schematic for the radio and are pretty good with a soldering iron. Single DIN head units with a front panel USB and Bluetooth are common, surely you can find something that isn't too ugly for your tastes.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:08 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,110 Posts
I can’t remember where or what sites, but I’ve come across a few people/places/systems where people have added or had their stock stereos modified for an auxiliary cable. Not sure if that can be done without a tape/cd etc, for some reason I don’t think it can, but I don’t know for sure.

I’ve looked into it (Google) and found several threads/sites on the topic.

There is another option I’ve used in a several vehicles, an FM transmitter. It plugs into your 12v and your iPhone/iPod/android etc and broadcasts on FM band. It works well out on the highway, but sometimes I found it to be overpowered by close transmitters in cities etc. Not the best, or same sound quality as a newer system, but it does work.

Crutchfield has some fairly nice systems, with pre made wiring harnesses, and speaker packages. Worth taking a quick look at before you pass on something new.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:40 PM
arc_jpiv
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JJF20
I can’t remember where or what sites, but I’ve come across a few people/places/systems where people have added or had their stock stereos modified for an auxiliary cable. Not sure if that can be done without a tape/cd etc, for some reason I don’t think it can, but I don’t know for sure.

I’ve looked into it (Google) and found several threads/sites on the topic.

There is another option I’ve used in a several vehicles, an FM transmitter. It plugs into your 12v and your iPhone/iPod/android etc and broadcasts on FM band. It works well out on the highway, but sometimes I found it to be overpowered by close transmitters in cities etc. Not the best, or same sound quality as a newer system, but it does work.

Crutchfield has some fairly nice systems, with pre made wiring harnesses, and speaker packages. Worth taking a quick look at before you pass on something new.
One of those little transmitters is definitely an option. I live pretty far out from any major cities so interference likely wouldn't be a huge issue. You said modifying a non-cassette unit would be difficult, but do you know of it's difficult to swap in a cassette deck unit? I had an '89 F150 with a tape deck at one point and both units seem to be roughly the same size.
​​

Old 06-16-2022, 05:36 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 374 Likes on 287 Posts
It can be done, it requires the tape deck option at a minimum i think as you have to solder wires from the aux jack to the tape deck spots . I am at work now but if i get time i will see if i can find the thread on how to do it.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:30 AM
Mudsport96
Cargo Master
Received 374 Likes on 287 Posts
Ok, this is for an auxiliary plug/jack. But, i would guess the left and right channels from bluetooth would wire to the same spots....maybe.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dio-guide.html

Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,195 Likes on 974 Posts
Thumbs up

Need a tape deck or CD and it needs to work, just did this for the tape HU in my 01 Expedition. Pretty damned easy.

You basically hack the tape/CD output (usually marked or easy to find) and play a blank tape/CD. As the blank audio plays, that part of the amp to the speakers is now active...then run your aux input or BT. You need a three wire aux plug, black/red/white. Black is ground, red is right, white is left.

Fine solder, fine tip gun.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,160 Likes on 2,204 Posts
they used to make a FM transmitter you could plug your music device into, them pick a dead frequency and it would play through your in car stereo.
i am sure they are still some out there.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:29 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 984 Likes on 776 Posts
I had one of those FM things, it worked well enough in terms of connectivity but it wasn't the greatest for sound quality which isn't surprising.. everything goes through the FM reciever so you don't get CD quality sound from it.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:40 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,160 Likes on 2,204 Posts
i still have one here somewhere Paul. i used to use it in the old mack trucks when going between ny and pa station coverage areas. it was easier to use that with the 56k storage device than to flip back and forth between stations.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:53 PM
wwhite
Cargo Master
Received 363 Likes on 295 Posts
You need a head unit from 'premium sound' system, which has an auxiliary amp. Then you can tap into the pre-amp output soldering in an aux.
With your head unit, I think your stuck with an FM bluetooth unit.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:40 AM
ford4wd08
Mountain Pass
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
There is another way that is seemless once you install it. I think the price has gone up on it, but very easy to install and the rest of radio etc works as it should.

Just requires a keyed ignition source and plugging into the back of the antenna on the radio.

I installed it in my bronco II to keep the stock radio and add Bluetooth and hands free calling.

It works very well and my phone connects everytime I turn the radio on.

It does use an FM frequency but interrupts every other signal as it actually plugs into your radio.

iSimple Hands-Free Calling and Music Streaming Kit with Control Button for Smartphones - Frustration-Free Packaging - Black https://a.co/d/h5JyPwZ

The following users liked this post: