Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

I'm stumped front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 12:39 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm stumped front end problems

Ok so I don't post very often because if I need help its already on here and I can just read through other threads and find it but I cannot find anthing on this I have a 08 of 1993 f250 4x4 xlt idit zf5 and it had ttb fronts suspension and a sterling 10.5 in the rear I removed them when my 10.5 locked up from having no gear oil in it long story so I bought a 1999 f250 superduty that had been flopped on its side off roading I drove it problem free 30 miles to my house pulled both axles stuffed them under my truck then I replaced the tierods draglink uper and lower ball joints put a drop Pittman arm on as well a reman steering box I inspected the steering knuckles and wheel bearings determined them to be just fine I kept the ttb front leaf springs I did not instal a panhard bar because it didn't make sense at the time seeing as how none of my buddies striat axle truck have them I set my alignment with a tape measure so I could get back and forth to work until I could get new tie and a proper alignment so this is where the problem starts the left tire freaks out not any set speed and the whole truck jumps up and down until you come to a stop the left tire leaves a skid mark similar to the ones you see from a big truck locking up there breaks and they hop only the left front tire does this it's so violent that my dash broke when it happened it's almost like you loosely put one lug nut on the wheel and torched the rest of them off while you where there sorry for the essay if anyone could help that would be great

Front left hub

Old 06-04-2022, 03:07 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Install a panhard bar.

I had the same reaction when I swapped the Dana60 into my 2wd '88. First time it happened I nearly $h!+ myself. It continued to happen at random until I put the panhard bar on. I don't really have an explanation, other than Ford had one on these F350's from the factory so they must have had a reason.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
I am going to try that how ever I have a friend a with an 89 no panhard bar and no wobble but I'm definitely going to install one when yours did the death shake I'd it leave a skid mark mine leaves a skid mark I'm wondering if it has something to do with the rake the truck has

Old 06-04-2022, 06:43 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
I don't know about a streak... can't say I saw one, but I wasn't looking for it either...
Any chance the caliper is locking up? old hoses can do that, though I don't know that it would cause a hopping, it might if the suspension is off some?
Check your leaf spring bushings as well.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:53 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
My bushings are worn but I've seen much wore calipers are ruled out bea cause It doesn't happen when hitting the brake and hoses are only 1 year old

Old 06-04-2022, 10:56 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
Side note I towed it a 1/8 in out and no hop or jump how ever 1/8 tow out is not good for tires

Old 06-05-2022, 07:29 AM
Robfinger
More Turbo
Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts
You need that track/panhard bar in there bud, no ands ifs or buts about it. The problem stems from the shackles first hanging down from the frame and thus always being in vertical compression (makes them prone to wanna **** sideways under the weight of the truck), and second being in the front which now makes the springs work in horizontal compression (makes them more prone to oscillating). The horizontal forces thing ain't a big deal on its own, but the combination of everything with worn rubber bushings and possibly weak shocks (namely the left one) and no track bar to keep the axle from shifting sideways is just asking for trouble - and obviously in your case said trouble found you.

The factory F350 track bar as designed to work in your truck goes behind the axle - you have a bracket hanging off the engine crossmember the one end of the bar hooks up to, and the other end goes to a mount built into the axle's right spring mount. Neither your frame nor your SD axle are set up for this. The factory SD bar runs in front of the axle, you already have one mount built into the right spring mount (similar to the OBS F350 axle but on the front side) and the other will live under the steering box however the SD bracket will not play nice with your OBS frame there. You can either modify the SD bracket (don't know details on this), or you can make your own mount. I suggest using the SD bar cause it's much longer than the OBS stuff so better for steering, and you already got one mount ready so you're only issue is the frame-side mount. Heck by now maybe someone already makes an aftermarket mount for this exact application, I know Sky Offroad does SD axle swap kits so look at their stuff?

Old 06-05-2022, 11:30 AM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
Well I'm gonna try to make an upper mount for it today I have a sad track bar and upper mount I'm pretty sure theres no way to make the mount work but I'm gonna try

Old 06-05-2022, 01:00 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
Ok so the superduty track bar is way to long if I put it in front of the axle it fights with the Pittman arm and behind it fights with the diff it's way to long all the aftermarket stuff I could find was for coil spring axle swap

Old 06-05-2022, 03:21 PM
Robfinger
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Willsprojects
Ok so the superduty track bar is way to long if I put it in front of the axle it fights with the Pittman arm and behind it fights with the diff it's way to long all the aftermarket stuff I could find was for coil spring axle swap
The interference is cause you got a drop arm, you really don't need that in the slightest - I run an SD axle with factory flat pitman arm at higher altitude than yours by about 3" at least and it works just fine. On the Superduty trucks the mount actually sits under the nut for the pitman arm, if you aim for that it will clear as the SD pitman arm is the same length as an OBS D60 arm (which I think is the same as your factory TTB arm). It's a tight fit yes, but if I can squeeze it in there with my axle moved 1" forward of yours you should be able to do it as well. Btw my mount is on the outside of the frame rail, the bar was stretched to reach there. Can you link me to those mounts for the coil-sprung axles? Those axles also have the bar where yours should live, more or less.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:40 PM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Robfinger
The interference is cause you got a drop arm, you really don't need that in the slightest - I run an SD axle with factory flat pitman arm at higher altitude than yours by about 3" at least and it works just fine. On the Superduty trucks the mount actually sits under the nut for the pitman arm, if you aim for that it will clear as the SD pitman arm is the same length as an OBS D60 arm (which I think is the same as your factory TTB arm). It's a tight fit yes, but if I can squeeze it in there with my axle moved 1" forward of yours you should be able to do it as well. Btw my mount is on the outside of the frame rail, the bar was stretched to reach there. Can you link me to those mounts for the coil-sprung axles? Those axles also have the bar where yours should live, more or less.
I could only get a drop Pittman arm from my local parts vendor and my truck already has taller shackles and I plan on lifting the fron higher so it is level with the rear

Old 06-06-2022, 08:47 AM
Robfinger
More Turbo
So unless you lifted the rear when you put the SD axles in then just bringing the front up to factory F350 height should just about level your truck up. Start looking for F350 front springs and shackles. Then ditch the lift shackles, they're part of your current problem cause they're even more unstable than Ford's own ones. Proper flat F350 arm can be had from RockAuto, I think Cardone makes it. Might wanna think about switching to the 36-spline SD steering box at the point, it's a bolt- on affair at the frame and steering shaft, heck with an OBS truck even the hoses might be a direct fit.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:59 AM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
I used the super duty rear blocks witch are like 2 in taller than the one that were on it before I live in California so getting certain things like a stock 4x4 pitman ard is impossible

Old 06-06-2022, 11:09 AM
Willsprojects
5th Wheeling
https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/pr...nt=19048851012 I think I'm gonna do this when I lift the truck how ever I'm gonna shorten my track bar now an build mounts to instal it cause this thing is my daily and my only truck at the moment

Old 06-06-2022, 02:00 PM
Robfinger
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Willsprojects
https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/pr...nt=19048851012 I think I'm gonna do this when I lift the truck how ever I'm gonna shorten my track bar now an build mounts to instal it cause this thing is my daily and my only truck at the moment
Yeah that kit should solve a lot of your issues. Do what you gotta do for now tho, can always be made perfect later 👍 So I'm guessing your putting this thing behind the axle then?

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: I'm stumped front end problems