Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Z71 and FX4

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, you keep boxes 10 years after you buy a product.

a ratcheting locker, if you would ever see one, uses springs to compress 2 gear looking things onto a center plate. on the side of the gear things that face the plate, they have a set of teeth or pins if you will. These cause each side to mate appx 5* offset from the other side into the center plate into sets of grooves that are wider than the pins. this allows the axle about to speed up get a head start to cause by force the gear thingy to push away from the plate - hence the cli-clunk cli-clunk noise. (unless you are going fast and it sounds like spinning a ratchet - the kind that works sockets)

the center plate is nothing more than this grooved plate with large pins in the shape of a bearing cross that hold this all in the carrier housing. simple. been around since 41. completely bought and owned by eaton corporation and no one else.

there are no actual gears in it, other than the oce sided gear like things. there are no clutches.

a limited slip - as the name applies - will prevent the wheels from turning at different speeds until a preset TORQUE differential is applied (they call it breakaway torque) its fairly pitiful. (I think our ford trucks are specced to fail and replace the units at 80ftlbs)

the ratchet, when torque is applied, locks SOLID like a spool. the ratchet becomes open only when axle speed differentials are encountered. from a dead stop, the axles move at the same speed

cmon, this stuff is not rocket science and its all over the web, which begs, why is this a topic? your posts have thrashed today from telling us the device did not exist, to it was never offered in gm, to it was never built by its company, to its insides are completely different than reality. WTH?

I beleive you will also find the detroit name is used because of eatons relationship with GM. I previously thought it was a separate company. eatons webiste btw, lists all the companies and divisions they bought and sold over thier history.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I will let you live with your locking rear axle. Heck I have what I would call a limited slip rear axle from the factory in my truck which is a 04 f250 4x4. Although it does say locking rear axle on the spec sheet and I have cracked the rear to change the fluid once this year and I can plainly state as with all of my previous trucks it has a limited slip. Now my 91 cherokee..... It is a locker and looks totally different. And drives way different

Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not brand centric and have owned all of the big three. Currently an 09 GMC 2500HD w/ Z71. It's a great truck. I like having IFS and don't think it's a disadvantage offroad...otherwise the Humvee and Landcruiser wouldn't have IFS. now, the latter two likely have beefier stock tie rods.

I don't think the offroad packages should be available on 2WD models for any of the makers- it's just for pose appeal. Also, FX4 like Z71 could offer more than it does like taller tires and better shocks. Oh well, I still like the locking rear and skidplates.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Toyota has the TRuD package on 2WD trucks as a pre-runner package. Most off-road racing trucks are 2WD.

FYI, it adds a real locker to the Tacoma.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:59 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
Actually, the Z71s have an automatic locking differential, which is better than the limited slip on the FX4. They also have more skid plates and better shocks than the FX4...not to mention 4-wheel disc brakes. If I had to pick a truck ONLY based on it's off-road package, the Chevy would win hands down. I hate to admit that.
ACTUALLY AFTER 2004 THE GM'S WENT BACK TO HAVEING REAR DRUMS. ALSO WHEN THE Z71 WAS FIRST INTRODUCED YOU GOT THE Z71 EMBOIDRED INTO THE THE HEADREST. THE FX4 HAS BETTER GEARING THAN THE Z71, BUT STILL COULD BENIFIT FROM THE LOCKER. AND THE FORD HAS BETTER RIDE AND HANDELING

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 AM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimandmandy
A couple of questions.

What does 4-wheel disk brakes have to do with off-road operation? That option, IMO, makes a truck more "car like" for city driving.

and

Snow-ice driving conditions (which is why I have a 4x4) also have nothing to do with off-roading.

The other "package" to mention is Toyota's TRD, or Turd, option. It is also a tire/shock/limited slip/stickers combo. My non-TRD Tundra still has skid plates and decent gas shocks, but not the bright yellow ones. The joke is the TRD Tacoma package when added to a 2WD model. Yes they do that.

Jim
4 wheel disk brakes help the truck stop faster.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
03z71
New User
anyone who has any mechanical knowledge would know chevy is a far better built truck than ford, tires and lifts mean nothing chevys locking front and rear dif. alone make them a far better off road vehicle why do you think the military uses HUMMER built by gm which has basically the same drivetrain as a z71 because they are beasts, limited slip sucks not to mention the 5.4l is the most underpowered pos engine ever the only way ford makes their engines powerful is with superchargers which destroys the engines life and even with superchargers they are still slower then any chevy in the same vehicle class the company i mechanic for has all fords and i have done 3 trans. on trucks with under 110k 04 models and up not to mention the million other problems they have fords are junk

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM
03z71
New User
oh and lubbock you say you would rather have disc brakes in rear, disk brakes are far better performing than drum brakes and most all your braking comes from the front so why would you put the better brakes on the rear...i guess all vehicle manufacturers have my same thoughts cuz you wont find any vehicle with drums on front and disks on back

*Mod edit* - keep it civil please

Last edited by SteveBricks; 02-15-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: cleaned up language
Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Hahahahahahhahhahaaaa

You have been schooled!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Weaker axles, lower frame/ride height, a 5.3ltr engine that overheat's when you work it, crappy drum brakes on the back, god awful styling, interior that fall's apart, squat's like my dog with a piece of firewood in the bed, and did I mention the dash and door switches that corrode and quit working, o the abs system that corrodes and make your brakes useless.
FYI They never put a locker in the front from the factory! The locker in the rear blow's apart when you need it, and the 10blt rearend is barely adequate for a cavalier let alone a truck.

Yep Chevy is the greatest! When the world bought them in 2008-present, they shoulda gave us all one.

O the Z71 does have a clapped out version of bilstein's on it. (Just like the clapped out version of rancho's ford uses)

O Chevy tried Disc's on the back for a couple years, their setup and design was a major fail.............kinda like the accounting department!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh no the GM fanboy troll is angry.

FYI GM doesn't make the H1 Hummer used by the military, AM General does. They made that bloated mallcrawler H2 and hideous H3 turd. BTW the Hummer brand was deemed so worthless the Chinesse even backed out of buying them so they went out of business.

If it wasn't for the US government GM may no longer be making there turd vehicles anymore. As a matter of fact GM biggest fanboy (Barry O) is trying to bump up the hybrid/electric vehicle tax credit to $10000 so GM can sell more of their junk Volts that catch on fire and go a whole 10 miles on battery power. Must be nice to have the taxpayer picking up the tab so you can continue to put out garbage. The average idiot that buys a Volt has an average household income of $176,000 per year but Barry still thinks they need a tax break to buy a car.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
the first thing i think of when i hear off road package is clearance and that is one thing chevy doesnt have its embarassing to even call them an off road package locking diffs do nothing when your saddlebaged.....heck my dads stock 98 f150 xlt sits higher than pretty much every Z71 ive ever seen

Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 03z71
anyone who has any mechanical knowledge would know chevy is a far better built truck than ford, tires and lifts mean nothing chevys locking front and rear dif. alone make them a far better off road vehicle why do you think the military uses HUMMER built by gm which has basically the same drivetrain as a z71 because they are beasts, limited slip sucks not to mention the 5.4l is the most underpowered pos engine ever the only way ford makes their engines powerful is with superchargers which destroys the engines life and even with superchargers they are still slower then any chevy in the same vehicle class the company i mechanic for has all fords and i have done 3 trans. on trucks with under 110k 04 models and up not to mention the million other problems they have fords are junk
Oh I could pick this post apart but I will state 2 facts:

1. Ford doesn't build the 5.4L anymore. Yes, it wasn't the end all be all motor but finally Ford killed it and gave the blue oval faithful NEW motors. Can't you still get a 4.8 or 5.3 in a 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC?

2. Superchargers that destroys engine life.....really? I guess I wouldn't want to bet my lucky dollar on a ZR1 or Caddy...seeing they are supercharged....It's not like Chevy to bank such a risk on their flagship vehicles.

At the end of the day...they all have their faults.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ford can't make a powerful naturally aspirated V8?...I beg to differ.

(2011 5.0L Ford vs 6.0L Vortec Max Chevrolet)
Chevy 6.0 (grey goose) vs. f150 5.0 - YouTube

(2011 5.0L Ford vs 2011 Silverado 5.3L Chevrolet)
2011 ford f150 vs 2011 silverado - YouTube

(2011 5.0L Ford vs Modded/Tuned Dodge Ram Cummins)
F150 VS Ram 3500 - YouTube

(2011 5.0L Ford vs 2011 Dodge Ram Hemi R/T)
2011 Ford F150 5.0 V8 VS 2011 Dodge Ram R/T - YouTube

(2011 5.0L Ford vs 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi)
5.0vsHemi.MOV - YouTube

(2011 5.0L Ford vs BMW 323i)
2011 F150 5.0 vs 2000 BMW 323i - YouTube

...Now what was that you were saying about Ford not being able to make a powerful naturally aspirated engine?

Yeah I know you...Your going to say, (Well I was talking about the 5.4L)...Alright, 5.4L vs 5.3L...Going to sum it up for you real quick.

Yes the 5.3L generally was a little bit faster than a comparibly equipped 5.4L...But who buys trucks for racing in the first place?...The 5.4L ALWAYS towed much better than that guttless no torque 5.3L.

Next time think before you run your mouth you troll.

You need to find a new occupation becausing trolling the internet is not your thing.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:11 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
oh and lubbock you say you would rather have disc brakes in rear, disk brakes are far better performing than drum brakes and most all your braking comes from the front so why would you put the better brakes on the rear...i guess all vehicle manufacturers have my same thoughts cuz you wont find any vehicle with drums on front and disks on back

*Mod edit* - keep it civil please
Or...You could just be like Ford and Front AND Rear discs...Instead of GM using Drums and Discs.

Quick Reply: Z71 and FX4