Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Z71 and FX4

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I did exagerate yes. I did trash two different 10 bolt axles in two different z71 trucks with 100k on one and 80k on the other truck. Both times I had factory limited slip axles one time I ended up with a bent housing by using 4wd to finish off the ring gear so I could drive home. The second time I twisted a axleshaft and didn't try to drive it home due to previous exp.. Eaton does NOT make a locker for a 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.6"rg 10 bolt, 9.5"rg 14 bolt or 14 bolt full floater. I don't care what you heard thought or read. Chevy did offer factory selectable lockers (selectable locker will act like a limited slip untill a switch is engauged fully locking the axles together making it a full blown locker). some time after 2000 in its pickup line as a option. The hummer line also got selectable lockers. All other axles with the g80 locking axle is a limited slip with a clutch pack set up. Ask just about any competent axle shop if the factory limited slip is worth rebuilding or using most will steer you twards a auburn. The only lockers I have ever heard of were in 1ton trucks and primarily the ones the military puchased and they had detroit lockers in a 14 bolt full floater.

But my point is locking rear axle does not mean locker. Locking rear axle= limited slip.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of questions.

What does 4-wheel disk brakes have to do with off-road operation? That option, IMO, makes a truck more "car like" for city driving.

and

Snow-ice driving conditions (which is why I have a 4x4) also have nothing to do with off-roading.

The other "package" to mention is Toyota's TRD, or Turd, option. It is also a tire/shock/limited slip/stickers combo. My non-TRD Tundra still has skid plates and decent gas shocks, but not the bright yellow ones. The joke is the TRD Tacoma package when added to a 2WD model. Yes they do that.

Jim

Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
I think drums are better in trucks. I do prefer disks in the rear thou because it is a lot easier to replace to pads and turn the rotors instead of having several parts to adjust. The 4wheel disk brakes is a convience I would say rather than a luxury. And they offer them on 2wd truck as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979
Eaton does NOT make a locker for a 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.6"rg 10 bolt, 9.5"rg 14 bolt or 14 bolt full floater. I don't care what you heard thought or read. .
hmmmm, not that I would ever disagree with someone, BUT:

SKU: DR-19554-010
Eaton's Posi Limited Slip Differential

1965 - 1971 GM 3 series 12 bolt rear end with 30 spine 8.875" ring gear and 3.07 - 3.73 gear set.
Price: $ 594.00 / each
SKU: 19622-010
Eaton Elocker GM 9.25" IFS 33 Spline 3.23/Up 1982-Present
Weight 42.00 lbs
Price: $757.37
Part number 19622-010

fits chevy / gmc 9.25" IFS 14 bolt FRONT axle
33 spline axle
fits any ratio ring and pinion ( gears )
fits K2500 , K2500 Suburban , K3500
fits 1982' to present
PART NUMBER
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
# OF BOLTS ON COVER
RING GEAR SIZE
AXLE SPINE COUNT
GEAR RATIO
COST

General Motors
19622-010
Truck Front differential 1988 to present Split Case
9.25"
3.23-up
$775.95

19684-010
Truck Rear differential 1982 to present 14
3.23-up
$775.95

19659-010*
Car/Truck Rear differential Car 1971-up Truck 1981-up 10
8.5" & 8.6"
2.73-up
$755.35

*Vehicle before 1999- will require small bearing bore (race OD 2.89) order Bearing Kit Number DTSDRK321DMK, order at same time as positraction and receive discounted price shown to the right
$93.73

*Vehicles 1999-up will require large bearing bore (race OD 3.06) order Bearing Kit Number DTSDRK321CMK, order at same time as positraction and receive discounted price shown to the right
$99.29
I was originally gonna answer: "Gee, I hope thats not true cuz I installed one in my 91 Blahzer, in 1999 that I got off ebay new in the factory box and plastic for $180........"

but part numbers carry some weight yanno? Eaton builds for EVERY axle manufacturer - its kinda what they do....

btw- the GM RPOs, G80 used to be a generic to designate the posi-traction rearend which is a GM trademarked term.

However, actual, non-air shifted lockers got invented so GM added G86 to designate posi, and G80 now means locking

my 91 Olds wagon for example reads 'G80' and for that year means a HD posi rear end, but it is clutched. It could be a locker - I just never felt the need to switch.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
E locker.... Electronic acutated locker.... Or Selectable locker. Thanks for the back up. When actuated it is a full locker. If it is a full locker I have never seen one. I have seen a lot of. Limited slips but never a eaton locker that wasn't a selectable locker. Despite what the sticker says. As for the axles... It states eaton and limited slip.... The front axle on all 8lug chevy ifs is the 9.25rg it is basically the same as the h2 rear axle the same as the towing package z71 14bolt semi floater same as the 6 and 8 lug rear axles in the 2500 series chevy and the 8 lug 3500 series trucks with low gcvw trucks. This axle is also seen in the dodge as front axles in 3/4ton and 1 ton trucks. It is even under the 1500 ram mega cab models. The axle was originally a corprate design and is now being produced by aam which also produces a 14 bolt for chevy and dodge that is based on the old corprate 14 bolt but avalible in two different rg sizes. Eaton did build axles for chevy light duty trucks in the 60-70's they are common normally have low gears and parts are somewhat scarse. They 14 bolt detroit locker can be worked into that axle. There are at least 4 different carriers for the 10 bolt, 2 or more for the 12 bolt etc. Eaton offers limited slips for all of them. They also offer elockers. Which as stated above in this post and previously in a post above as well are selectable lockes. The only axle I can think of off the top of my head that has no locker or limited slip avalible is the 8.25 ifs axle. Be impressive and find a limited slip or a locker for that. And remember a posi lock is what is used to acutate the 4wd engaugement not lock the diff.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
I did some searching and eaton as a brand does not offer a locker. Detroit does. Both companies are owned by the same people. Eaton bought out detroit a few years ago. So that being said yes they make a locker in the same sense ford makes a mazda or jaguar

Old 02-25-2009, 01:15 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did exagerate yes. I did trash two different 10 bolt axles in two different z71 trucks with 100k on one and 80k on the other truck. Both times I had factory limited slip axles one time I ended up with a bent housing by using 4wd to finish off the ring gear so I could drive home. The second time I twisted a axleshaft and didn't try to drive it home due to previous exp.. Eaton does NOT make a locker for a 10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.6"rg 10 bolt, 9.5"rg 14 bolt or 14 bolt full floater. I don't care what you heard thought or read. Chevy did offer factory selectable lockers (selectable locker will act like a limited slip untill a switch is engauged fully locking the axles together making it a full blown locker). some time after 2000 in its pickup line as a option. The hummer line also got selectable lockers. All other axles with the g80 locking axle is a limited slip with a clutch pack set up. Ask just about any competent axle shop if the factory limited slip is worth rebuilding or using most will steer you twards a auburn. The only lockers I have ever heard of were in 1ton trucks and primarily the ones the military puchased and they had detroit lockers in a 14 bolt full floater.

But my point is locking rear axle does not mean locker. Locking rear axle= limited slip.
Locking rear axle means locking rear axle, not limited slip, but locking rear axle. I had an Eaton G80 locking rear axle in my new '97 GM. I recall I paid $331.00 for this option. My G80 Eaton locker was automatic, not selectable. As you say, later models maybe selectable.

Here is some information from Eaton on how the Eaton G80 locking axle works on GM trucks. It compares the locker equipped GM to other makes with an open axle and one truck with a limited slip. It's informative and demonstrates how the axle functions.

YouTube - 20% grade G80

Old 02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
E locker.... Electronic acutated locker.... Or Selectable locker. Thanks for the back up. When actuated it is a full locker. If it is a full locker I have never seen one. I have seen a lot of. Limited slips but never a eaton locker that wasn't a selectable locker. Despite what the sticker says. As for the axles... It states eaton and limited slip.... The front axle on all 8lug chevy ifs is the 9.25rg it is basically the same as the h2 rear axle the same as the towing package z71 14bolt semi floater same as the 6 and 8 lug rear axles in the 2500 series chevy and the 8 lug 3500 series trucks with low gcvw trucks. This axle is also seen in the dodge as front axles in 3/4ton and 1 ton trucks. It is even under the 1500 ram mega cab models. The axle was originally a corprate design and is now being produced by aam which also produces a 14 bolt for chevy and dodge that is based on the old corprate 14 bolt but avalible in two different rg sizes. Eaton did build axles for chevy light duty trucks in the 60-70's they are common normally have low gears and parts are somewhat scarse. They 14 bolt detroit locker can be worked into that axle. There are at least 4 different carriers for the 10 bolt, 2 or more for the 12 bolt etc. Eaton offers limited slips for all of them. They also offer elockers. Which as stated above in this post and previously in a post above as well are selectable lockes. The only axle I can think of off the top of my head that has no locker or limited slip avalible is the 8.25 ifs axle. Be impressive and find a limited slip or a locker for that. And remember a posi lock is what is used to acutate the 4wd engaugement not lock the diff.
wait a minute, I only quoted SOME of the parts from the catalog, I was just looking for axle sizes, eaton has, as near as I can tell, clutch type, cone type, ratcheting locker type (thats what I got for the blahzer) and the new E locker.

My brothers 96 chevy z71 btw, had a ratcheting locker as well.

and eaton still makes the axles themselves - as in the axle shafts and such.

the easiest way to tell if you have a non-elocker that is a ratchet vs cone/clutch is to do wheel locked circles on pavement. the ratched will CLEARLY make a cli-clunk-cliclunk sound as it breaks and remakes the pin/socket connection

I think you might be using some of the technologies interchangably....chevy broke away from the live axle design in 88. It acutates differently in terms of 4x4 engagement

Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
I did some searching and eaton as a brand does not offer a locker. Detroit does. Both companies are owned by the same people. Eaton bought out detroit a few years ago. So that being said yes they make a locker in the same sense ford makes a mazda or jaguar
detroit does yes, but so does eaton. I kinda gave you some part numbers - that should make the google search work a little better.

why are we on this topic anyways? what is the question?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Let me be simple ....
There are 4 types of differentials
1) Open- it generally has spider gears and transfers power to the axle thru these side gears. Tires with no traction get the most power.
2) Limited slip, positrac, locking axle- typically uses clutches cones and a friction modifier. Power is given to wheels when. One tire starts to slip thru the diff the device transfers power to the tire with traction to help as well as the other tire. A limited slip does not transfer 100% of power to both axles. It is probably that a limited slip will allow a vehicle to move if only one drive wheel is on the ground.
3) Lockers- usually have grears tha mesh and LOCK to give both axles 100% the same power. This type of differential has unusual driving manners that will wear tires funny and cause lousy turning and take some getting used to on the street.
4) Spools- this essentially removes all of the above and ties the axle shafts directly to the ring gear both tires move the same amout of revolutions 100% of the time.
The question was over lockers and limited slips.
As stated before yes eaton makes lockers
Just as ford makes a miata.
Technically both are true till for sells. Mazda

Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
wellll, I put a ratcheting style locker in my blahzer (I know i did this, cuz I did it....) that was purchased in 1999. does 1999 predate any company sales?

from Eaton:
Mechanical Locking Differential
The Eaton mechanical locking differential was the first to be offered as an option to pickup drivers and today it is known around the world simply by the GM option code G80. This automatic unit, available as standard and optional equipment for rear drive and 4-wheel drive vehicles, makes traction problems a thing of the past. The Locker makes towing large boats and campers a breeze. Be sure to ask your dealer if your vehicle has an Eaton locking differential
Electronic Locking Differential
Eaton’s ELocker™ electronic locking differential made its market debut as standard equipment on the HUMMER H2 and today is also an option on the HUMMER H3. With a simple push of a button a driver can lock all four wheels in a four-wheel drive system and have the ability to exit out of almost any traction problem. Be sure to ask your dealer if your vehicle has an Eaton locking differential.
Limited Slip
Eaton’s expertise with carbon-disc limited slip differentials dates back to 1961 when we introduced the Eaton Posi™ Limited Slip Differential. The Eaton Posi™ achieved icon status later in the decade and through the 1970’s when it was offered as on option on all General Motors muscle cars. Today, our limited slip differentials product portfoilio also includes the Eaton Detroit Truetrac helical gear design. Be sure to ask your dealer if your vehicle has an Eaton differential.
Is it becoming clearer?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
What was the exact product you put in your blazer? To me it would sound like if it was a rachet style it would have been a trutrac

Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
quaddriver
Cargo Master
The exact part number I would no longer have. Heck, I no longer have the blahzer. I even burned the box and plastic and paper. But not before I noted the Eaton logo etc on the side. Im generally not given to hallucinations.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Convient. The eaton has a gears in it and a bunch of clutches and springs etc. But it is still a limited slip. I have tired to search for a eaton locker that was not a ected or elock (electrically actuated.) And have not had success on eaton's website they do offer a detroit trutrac and detroit lockers.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
less
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convient. The eaton has a gears in it and a bunch of clutches and springs etc. But it is still a limited slip. I have tired to search for a eaton locker that was not a ected or elock (electrically actuated.) And have not had success on eaton's website they do offer a detroit trutrac and detroit lockers.

Check out my previous post...it has an Eaton video showing how the locking axle works, compared to a limited slip and to an open axle.The video is very clear in comparing locker vs limited slip vs open.

When you punch the throttle of a G80 locker...the axle detects slip...then locks up both axles so both drive wheels are turning at the same time in traction limited situations....exactly what a locker does and is to do.

It is irrelevant what internal mechanism or system is used inside the Eaton Locking axle, all that matters is how it functions and it functions as a locking axles, not as a limited slip.

I've had both traction assist systems.....the GM limited slip was the positraction (brand name) and used in the GM car line. The Eaton Locking G80 axle was the locker and used in their light truck line.

To cap it all off Eaton's product description of this mechanism is:

Eaton G80 Locking axle

Quick Reply: Z71 and FX4