Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 10:49 AM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Question 78 alignment issue

78 F150 4x4 short bed Automatic.
all stock no lift

when i drive it, the steering wheel is like making a left turn to go straight.

the steering wheel should be straight across like 9 and 6 on the clock

mine is like 8 and 2 on the clock.

when i am on level ground. i keep the steering wheel properly level. 9 and 6 on the clock.
the pitman arm on the steering box is pointing straight forward.

if i keep the truck driving straight and come to a stop. the pitman arm and steering wheel
are both to the left like 8 and 2 on the clock.

i went to the alignment shop. they checked the toe, and verified it is in speck for the tires,
but they wanted to reposition the steering wheel so when the truck goes straight the wheel
will look straight.

i don't think that is the proper way to do this. i believe the pitman and wheel should both be
positioned straight and level.

what's the proper process to get the wheel to be straight ?

what would cause this to happen?

do they sell tie rods with an adjustable passenger side?

Thank you for the help.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:22 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,135 Posts
what would cause this to happen?
Have you ever seen it different on the truck?

I ask because while mine is a '77, it has had '78-'79 steering complete since 1986, it's a far better set up. My '77 steering wheel was positioned just as you say, like 8 and 2. It's just been last few yours I corrected it when putting a new Grant steering wheel on. I even left the 8&2 as it was when I put a new Red Head Steering box on in 2013 as it really was comfortable for me, left arm resting on arm rest on door, left fingers resting on the steering wheel cross piece that was "right there" at my finger tips. Was a nice steadying force. When I put the steering box on, I made sure it was centered and found the wheels pointed straight, so I left the steering wheel looking left. The left hold did not work as well for my liking with the Grant wheel, so I have it on straight.

With a '78-'79 type steering, you have one adjustable tie rod point near the left front, the drag link is fixed, the pitman arm only goes on the steering box one way, so turning the steering wheel on the spline in the cab is really the only viable method of straightening the steering wheel to your liking. One could re-clock the steering shaft at a joint under the hood, but that's more work to do the same thing.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:52 AM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 430 Likes on 343 Posts
If you turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then count the turns all the way to the right, then center it, how does everything line up? This will put your steering box on center, then you can figure out if it the steering wheel, tire, incorrectly installed pitman..or a little of everything... that's not aligned correctly.

In a perfect world, the pitman arm should be in the center of travel when you're wheels are straight ahead, just so you have an even amount of turning both ways. Generally this is 90deg. to the steering linkage movement in a traditional steering setup, which would have the pitman pointing forward or backwards, in your truck. Sometimes it's offset slightly to one side for clearance around the frame or other steering or suspension components. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be in yours. These trucks have steering stops on the knuckles so you never use the full range of the steering box and that slight offset doesn't really affect anything if that's the case. As long as it steers well and has full range, I'd just realign the steering wheel.

You can file out the 4 larger "key" splines in the pitman arm so you can clock it however you want. It's very common to do when these trucks get lifted and the pitman needs to be clocked at a slightly different angle.

Is the suspension on your truck sagging badly? That can cause track bar to pull the axle to one side and shift the steering.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:15 PM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Double post Sorry

Old 05-01-2022, 02:20 PM
i-w
Fleet Mechanic
Thank you all for the information. Greatly appreciated.
Well i never thought about counting the turns.
It does have original bushings. I am sure it needs a new
set of knuckles as well. i should get a steering gear box
and do it right. it needs TLC.

i will go and count the turns now and report back,

Thanks again for your time.