Sponsored by:

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 02:21 AM
kraven
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signal problems

I have a 88 Bronco and my turn signals do not work but my hazard lights do. I believe the problem to be the turn indicator inside the steering colume but am not sure. Is it difficult to fix and how do I go about doing it.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:13 AM
subdude
Freshman User
turn signals and hazzards use different flasher circuits. If you haven't yet, change the flasher.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:46 PM
kraven
New User
Thank you for the response but I already tried that. When I changed the flasher nothing happened. This problem started with the right blinker not working, requiring me to hold the blinker up in order to make it work. It then progressed to the point where I was forced to manually move the blinker up and down...eventually both blinkers went out simotaniously. I suspect a short but think in order to solve the problem I must replace the whole unit. Still need help, anything would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
turn signals

Ok kraven , i have owned my truck for 9 years and just finally bought a haynes repair manual-i already have 2 chiltons.Haynes manual#(36058) it has a few pages in it pertaing to the hazard ,turn signals, checks and illustrations plus how to remove the column. best eletrical info around for our trucks Hope this helps TR

Old 11-15-2003, 04:37 AM
kraven
New User
Talking turn signal

Thanks for the advice on the manual. I currently own a chilton(26664) and it is of no use in this matter. I think I will pick myself up a Haynes and give it another try.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:15 PM
kraven
New User
I went ahead and changed the cam on the colum and I also replaced the rear bulbs. The problem now is that when I turn the right blinker on, only the rt front blinker blinks and when I turn the lt blinker on only the lt rear blinker works. What would cause this.

Old 11-28-2003, 04:02 AM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
turn signals

OK kraven , the haynes manual gives continuity checks for each position, where to check it at (battery disconnected ) good info theres too much to type depending on your problem 5--7pages are dedicated to the signal /hazard flasher troubleshooting .i can say theres 4 checks per -right/ -left side (signal on)haynes manual 36058 good luck TR

Old 11-28-2003, 09:54 PM
kraven
New User
Thanks for the help, I will look in to it.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:44 PM
jsscart
Junior User
The cam wires are reversed. I had the same thing happen to my 84. Also make sure the hard wires that contact the pads aren't rubbing on the plastic housing. I had to trim a small bit from mine.