6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Stock Lift pump vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 06:16 PM
DTEC907
Junior User
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Stock Lift pump vs aftermarket

So the cold, -20 to -30F, weather got to my lift pump or exposed that it is weak and it started to act up. The good ole loud I am dying squeal accompanied by low fuel pressure. It is doing fine now that it's above 0 but it will relatively soon give out on me.

So, replace with stock or upgrade?

I can get a stock one for $400:
https://rcdperf.com/products/ap63527-fuel-transfer-pump

FASS titanium series.
https://fassride.com/shop/product/fu...-7l-2011-2016/

Air dog seems like a good option and easier to install than the Fass.
https://pureflowairdog.com/c-1389373-airdog-ii-5g.html

I looked into AFE and it seems like it is only an assistant pump and not a direct replacement?
https://afepower.com/afe-power-42-13...time-operation

Thoughts?

Old 01-26-2022, 06:43 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,397 Likes on 2,092 Posts
When she gets that cold, good fuel and additives are a must. If you are Bio or paraffin based fuel you will clog the filter at those temps.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-26-2022, 08:17 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The stock pump is adequate as long as you treat the fuel for low temps. Even the aftermarkets pumps will have issues at cold temps and untreated fuel.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM
DTEC907
Junior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
When she gets that cold, good fuel and additives are a must. If you are Bio or paraffin based fuel you will clog the filter at those temps.
Yup, I buy big bottles of anti-gel, Diesel Power Service 64oz. Probably had/have 32oz worth in the 35-gallon tank. Threw in a bottle of 911 because I thought I was about to gel up 1 hour from home, I was able to get home. That morning was -25F and the truck ran fine, sat for a few hours, then at -10F, gave me the low fuel pressure warning which is when I dumped in the 911.
Then the next morning ran fine-ish, drove 1 hour, little noise from the pump, no low fuel pressure. Parked for 5ish hours, pump squealing again and low fuel pressure again...only like -5F by then. Got home fine and had no pump noise or low fuel pressure when I stopped at the store.
This morning was -8F, the pump was somewhat loud but with no low fuel pressure. The afternoon was +25F so it ran great.
10-day forecast shows -15F as the lowest but not at my drive times till mid next week.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:29 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
911 isn't good to put in unless you have a common rail. Since you are out west what percent Bio are you?

Old 01-27-2022, 04:35 AM
DTEC907
Junior User
911 isn't good to put in unless you have a common rail. Since you are out west what percent Bio are you?
No biodiesel around here.

But 5% acts almost exactly like pure diesel and the states I know that require it, like MN, require 5% in the winter 20% in the summer.

The 6.7 is a common rail system... I mean it technically has two rails but is a common rail system.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:14 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
I would change your filters, the water block is jelling up. When you add 911 it emulsifies the water to pass through which is not good on your high pressure injectors. A low pressure common rail will pass water all day like my 80's John Deere which if it gets cold enough we cut with Kerosene. My 7.3 would throw fits and my 6.0L has never been a problem, in Ohio we rarely see the temps you do but I never take off until the truck is up to temp.

The guys in Alaska do stuff with blanket heaters and front covers, I slide a piece of closed cell cardboard in front of my radiator blocking about 40 percent of the radiator capacity. Disclaimer: I have never owned a 6.7l yet....

Old 01-27-2022, 11:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,015 Posts
stay away from 911 and change the filters now.

Treat the fuel beforehand.wth approved antigel.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:17 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I work in the automotive fuel pump testing industry so I have a bit of knowledge with fuel pumps. A diesel pump must be a screw or gear pump. It cannot be a turbine pump. Advantage of turbine pumps is the quietness and hot fuel comparability but turbines will not pump diesel. This louder wine is extremely common for both screw and gear pumps, especially from almost gelled up diesel. I perform dry runs on pumps very often and test they can hurt the lift pump but takes many mins of dry running. Honestly I doubt there was any harm done to the lift pump, the injection pump on the other hand, not good on it. I would just keep running it. Now if you start getting low fuel pressure warnings on warmer days, then yes it’s due for replacement. I would be highly interested in seeing inside the factory lift pump housing if you do replace it. I wonder if I can adapt a pump from where I work into that housing. The Toyota Cummins trucks use a housing like that with an electric pump inside. Please PM me if you do change out the housing.
How long did it run with the low fuel pressure warning?

Old 01-27-2022, 05:06 PM
DTEC907
Junior User
I would change your filters, the water block is jelling up. When you add 911 it emulsifies the water to pass through which is not good on your high pressure injectors. A low pressure common rail will pass water all day like my 80's John Deere which if it gets cold enough we cut with Kerosene. My 7.3 would throw fits and my 6.0L has never been a problem, in Ohio we rarely see the temps you do but I never take off until the truck is up to temp.

The guys in Alaska do stuff with blanket heaters and front covers, I slide a piece of closed cell cardboard in front of my radiator blocking about 40 percent of the radiator capacity. Disclaimer: I have never owned a 6.7l yet....
I am actually Alaskan. DTEC907= Deisel Technician-907 ... 907 being Alaska's only cell phone area code.
I have definitely have had cardboard on my radiators before. I have an actual cover now that buttons onto my grille; it has a zipper in the middle and I close it completely once temps hit -20. My batteries have little heater pads underneath that I thought were stock on every truck but maybe only winter packages get them.

Originally Posted by senix
stay away from 911 and change the filters now.

Treat the fuel beforehand.wth approved antigel.
Filters have already been changed as of yesterday. The filters were fine, no water in the bowl. I only get fuel at high traffic stations and I always add lubricity additives.

As far as 911, Imo, I think it's fine in case of emergencies just like calling 911. One-time use shouldn't harm anything. Since I drive 500-600 miles a week it's not just sitting in there, in fact already burnt off.

I also use anti-gel and have been for years. I believe this was a combination of an old pump (hence my post) and too weak #1 to #2 fuel mix from the Holiday Gas Station. I have had this 2011 truck since 2017 and it has seen many days of -20F.

Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
I work in the automotive fuel pump testing industry so I have a bit of knowledge with fuel pumps. A diesel pump must be a screw or gear pump. It cannot be a turbine pump. Advantage of turbine pumps is the quietness and hot fuel comparability but turbines will not pump diesel. This louder wine is extremely common for both screw and gear pumps, especially from almost gelled up diesel. I perform dry runs on pumps very often and test they can hurt the lift pump but takes many mins of dry running. Honestly I doubt there was any harm done to the lift pump, the injection pump on the other hand, not good on it. I would just keep running it. Now if you start getting low fuel pressure warnings on warmer days, then yes it’s due for replacement. I would be highly interested in seeing inside the factory lift pump housing if you do replace it. I wonder if I can adapt a pump from where I work into that housing. The Toyota Cummins trucks use a housing like that with an electric pump inside. Please PM me if you do change out the housing.
How long did it run with the low fuel pressure warning?
I will definitely be cutting open my pump if/when I change it. You made me curious now. I will PM you when I do!

It ran off and on 3 maybe 4 times total with low pressure. I commute 1 hour each way but each time I would get a notice on my dash but after the trip, the pump sounded normal again. Doing a system check would cause the notice to appear at the start of the trip but at the end, it wouldn't be there. It was also inconsistent, it happened once or twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon before my trip home. The inconsistency even after having driven it enough to where there shouldn't of been any able to gel makes me think the pump is at least weak.

If you, a pump expert, say I am good then I will risk it for the biscuit.

Which pump do you think is the best? I am leaning towards the Air Dog since it doesn't require me to drop my tank.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good, I am just as curious as you.

Eh that doesn’t sound good. If it was gelling up, the return fuel from the engine should have been warming up the fuel in the tank after a few miles of driving. I would probably get a replacement and have it on hand or do some research about rebuilding the fuel filter housing with just a new pump. Not sure if that is possible but I hope so. I would just get a factory replacement to have on hand or find a factory takeoff from a wrecked truck. www.car-part.com is a very good website for salvaged parts.

As for airdog, eh not really a fan. I never have been an owner but have compared them to our product at work and had a buddy that has one on his 24 valve Cummins. I have 2 things that I don’t like about them, they are LOUD and the reliability is iffy. They sound like a meat grinder and you can damn near hear them over a 24 valve idling. About the reliability, my buddy had the motor on his corrode up and lock up twice. Yes just the motor is replaceable but they definitely don’t like the road salt grime from Michigan. Yes they do flow a lot of fuel but probably way more than necessary for your need unless you have twins and “double throw down whammy’s” on you truck. The pump will probably be returning far more fuel than you will be burning at WOT.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:11 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
If you are running that many miles a week, what is the current mileage? Pumps do wear out, as far as the 911, $12k to $15k to fix an injection system is no small change by forcing water through. We are only here to help.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:57 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,401 Likes on 4,657 Posts
Originally Posted by DTEC907
So the cold, -20 to -30F, weather got to my lift pump or exposed that it is weak and it started to act up. The good ole loud I am dying squeal accompanied by low fuel pressure. It is doing fine now that it's above 0 but it will relatively soon give out on me.

So, replace with stock or upgrade?

I can get a stock one for $400:
https://rcdperf.com/products/ap63527-fuel-transfer-pump

FASS titanium series.
https://fassride.com/shop/product/fu...-7l-2011-2016/

Air dog seems like a good option and easier to install than the Fass.
https://pureflowairdog.com/c-1389373-airdog-ii-5g.html

I looked into AFE and it seems like it is only an assistant pump and not a direct replacement?
https://afepower.com/afe-power-42-13...time-operation

Thoughts?
Like the others have said, it could be a problem with gelling with your fuel. Granted we don't get that cold here in WNY, but it has been known to get down to 0 to -10 deg at times. I have not had any problems with K100D+ that I have been using since the truck has been new.

As to the aftermarket lift pump, I bought an Air Dog but it's not installed yet. I am fairly certain it's the now obsolete model ADII-4G model of A6SABF489.

I see they now have a 5G model and moved the location of the adjustable pressure regulator from end to the side where it's more easily accessible.

When I install mine, I am going to retain the factory DFCM as A) it's a good pump and B) it's another filter in the system. I have it all figured out how to do it, have the parts needed including a mechanical fuel gauge to adjust the unit down to 10 psi if I'm remembering correctly what the prior gens of Air Dogs were set at to feed the DFCMs. When I do it, I am going to post up in my truck thread. I think it's a good idea to install one to filter the entrained air out of the fuel going to the HPFP. JMHO.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,401 Likes on 4,657 Posts
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
Sounds good, I am just as curious as you.

Eh that doesn’t sound good. If it was gelling up, the return fuel from the engine should have been warming up the fuel in the tank after a few miles of driving. I would probably get a replacement and have it on hand or do some research about rebuilding the fuel filter housing with just a new pump. Not sure if that is possible but I hope so. I would just get a factory replacement to have on hand or find a factory takeoff from a wrecked truck. www.car-part.com is a very good website for salvaged parts.

As for airdog, eh not really a fan. I never have been an owner but have compared them to our product at work and had a buddy that has one on his 24 valve Cummins. I have 2 things that I don’t like about them, they are LOUD and the reliability is iffy. They sound like a meat grinder and you can damn near hear them over a 24 valve idling. About the reliability, my buddy had the motor on his corrode up and lock up twice. Yes just the motor is replaceable but they definitely don’t like the road salt grime from Michigan. Yes they do flow a lot of fuel but probably way more than necessary for your need unless you have twins and “double throw down whammy’s” on you truck. The pump will probably be returning far more fuel than you will be burning at WOT.
I've heard the FASS units are louder. Don't know for sure...

Old 01-28-2022, 12:27 PM
DTEC907
Junior User
If you are running that many miles a week, what is the current mileage? Pumps do wear out, as far as the 911, $12k to $15k to fix an injection system is no small change by forcing water through. We are only here to help.
I appreciate the help. That is why I am here. I do think there are a lot more opinions being thrown out than there needs to be. I do agree that prolonged use of 911 is bad but a one-time use shouldn't hurt it, especially since I had other additives in the tank. But again, that's my opinion and I have yet to see actual scientific studies done on 911 in particular. Running anything beyond what Ford approves could be argued as bad for their engine design.

My truck is an Ex-oilfield truck soo... 11k idle hours, 15k total operating hours, and currently has 140k miles. I bought it at 90k miles.

Originally Posted by Overkill2
Like the others have said, it could be a problem with gelling with your fuel. Granted we don't get that cold here in WNY, but it has been known to get down to 0 to -10 deg at times. I have not had any problems with K100D+ that I have been using since the truck has been new.

As to the aftermarket lift pump, I bought an Air Dog but it's not installed yet. I am fairly certain it's the now obsolete model ADII-4G model of A6SABF489.

I see they now have a 5G model and moved the location of the adjustable pressure regulator from end to the side where it's more easily accessible.

When I install mine, I am going to retain the factory DFCM as A) it's a good pump and B) it's another filter in the system. I have it all figured out how to do it, have the parts needed including a mechanical fuel gauge to adjust the unit down to 10 psi if I'm remembering correctly what the prior gens of Air Dogs were set at to feed the DFCMs. When I do it, I am going to post up in my truck thread. I think it's a good idea to install one to filter the entrained air out of the fuel going to the HPFP. JMHO.
Get it installed so you can report back!

Quick Reply: Stock Lift pump vs aftermarket