Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

pushing down on the gas pedal, no acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 AM
shawndavis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pushing down on the gas pedal, no acceleration

OK, I've got yet another problem with my 98 explorer sport, AWD, 4.0L SOHC, 79k miles. When driving, if I am crusing at a certain speed, and try to accelerate, nothing happens. I can push the peddle down all the way, and it won't speed up at all. If I let go of the gas peddle, and immediately push it down again, it'll speed up. Anyone have any ideas what is going on, or heard of this before? There is also a foul smell when driving now, the one you normally smell when driving behind a new car that accelerates real fast, almost like a rotten egg, but not exactly. Also, my stereo LEDs are real dim at times (not sure if this is related at all). During hte day, you can't even see the clock or the radio station. This is the least of my problems, but just incase it may be related to my other problem somehow (electric), I included it. This damn thing has been nothing but trouble ever since I moved to Arizona. In Colorado, it ran like a champ, and nothing ever went wrong with it. I've only been here 1.5 years, and as soon as I got here, I got a tune-up. About 3 months after the drive here, things started going to s**t. Please help if you can.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:24 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be a clogged cat converter. Does it kick out black smoke out the exhaust?

Old 11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
shawndavis
New User
No black smoke at all, just the smell, and lack of RPM / acceleration. I had a clogged cat converter on a honda crx once, and the symptoms are different. To be honest, it's almost as though somthing isn't catching when I press on the pedal, and when I let up and then re-press it, it catches. Personally I think I have quite a few problems with the damn thing, and should cut my losses and trade it in, hoping the dealer won't catch most of the problems. Then when they bend me over with the money they give for trade in, it won't actually be too far off from what I should get for it.

Old 11-15-2003, 09:50 PM
pixelatedkittie
New User
Originally posted by shawndavis
No black smoke at all, just the smell, and lack of RPM / acceleration. I had a clogged cat converter on a honda crx once, and the symptoms are different. To be honest, it's almost as though somthing isn't catching when I press on the pedal, and when I let up and then re-press it, it catches. Personally I think I have quite a few problems with the damn thing, and should cut my losses and trade it in, hoping the dealer won't catch most of the problems. Then when they bend me over with the money they give for trade in, it won't actually be too far off from what I should get for it.
I have this happen with my 94 Ex. I have discoverd that once I get it to the point where it's floored I let off the gas and then tap the acccelerator and the baby just goes... I have no clue what this is but it's not really affecting the driveability of the car it's just more is a pain in the A$$!

I can useually get it to about 60 before the pedal floors. Then it's time for me to let up and tap. It's no my routine lol.

PK