2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Oil Shortage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 08:47 AM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Received 928 Likes on 469 Posts
Oil Shortage!

So I am having a very difficult time finding engine oil! I have some T6 for one more oil change however the shelves are void of just about all diesel engine oil around here. I even looked for Travelers oil at TSC with no luck. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't get it, there is plenty of gasser oil. Also I have asked this before several years ago but what are your thoughts on Super Tech? I have been using ST synthetic in my gas engines for some time now and I have researched it enough to know that it is a good oil however I have not found enough data on their diesel oil. I would prefer synthetic but I am ok with conventional especially if it is my only option. Walmart does have some SuperTech on the shelf and although it is not on the Ford approved oil list is does have their standard on the back of the bottle. Maybe if Ford updated their list it would be on there? I think the latest list is dated May 2018. And just to clarify because I know some on here like getting their jabs in, it has nothing to do with cost it is all about what is available. So save the "OP buys an 80K dollar truck and he is trying to save $5 on an oil change" comments!!

Old 01-07-2022, 08:52 AM
archer75
Mountain Pass
Received 122 Likes on 51 Posts
Several stores here are short on oil. But I was told by one store it was because other stores were being greedy and ordered a ton of it which left many stores with none.
So I went to one of those stores that was said to have a huge inventory of it and there it was. Plenty of it. On sale too. I typically use valvoline blue but there was plenty of T6 at the stores I went to.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:54 AM
RidgwaySD
Cargo Master
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Though I am not a fan of just ordering things online. If you seriously need to find oil, I bet there is an online retailer ready to ship it to you. I think there are lots of strange localized shortages.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:22 AM
bbronco66
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
No issues here in VA finding either Rotella T6 or Valvoline Blue Extreme. Have not noticed any shortages of oil, filters, or DEF.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:37 AM
B-ManFX4
Laughing Gas

Received 779 Likes on 358 Posts
It is very difficult to find T-6 here in east TN. I was in central Florida for Christmas and it was in short supply there too. I did manage to grab three gallons at Advance Auto Parts while in Florida. Just yesterday I was able to grab three gallons each at two separate O'Reilly's here in east TN. The guys at each of those stores told me they aren't receiving steady shipments - it comes in randomly. The O'Reilly's I went to first yesterday hadn't put it on the shelf yet - it was in a box sitting on the dock. I only saw it because I went to dump used oil and saw it still on the pallet from the truck. He told me their truck came that morning. I figured the other O'Reilly's near me was probably serviced by that same truck so I took a chance and went by and I scored three gallons there too.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:44 AM
BSHORT
Cargo Master
Received 1,365 Likes on 706 Posts
There's a gallon of T6 on Amazon for 52.99, if you really want it.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:48 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,428 Likes on 1,463 Posts
Rotella T6 has been on short order for a while in north MS. None to be found here for a couple of months now. A friend was in Ohio for me recently and found 4 gallons but they said they were having a hard time getting it there too and had none left after getting this for me. Not sure what the deal is as there is plenty of oil on the shelves for gas engines… like you, it’s the diesel oils that are tough to find. This must be the war on those evil diesels!! For now though I have 9 gallons, so almost enough for 3 complete changes.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:01 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Well here in "The Peoples Republic Of Massachusetts" where I purchased my truck I got a oil change at my Dealership about a month ago. (still under my extended warranty and actually like them) The service manager said "Well I think you got the last of our Oil" He said he wasn't kidding. WTF!!!!

Old 01-07-2022, 10:22 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,931 Likes on 2,810 Posts
I just bought 6 gallons of Valvoline PBE 5w-40 Diesel for $21.99 a gallon at the NAPA in Casper, Wyoming. My brother lives there and just happens to be coming down to Denver today.

Earlier this week I tried to buy the same stuff locally and the NAPA website said it was in stock, but it lied. The local store said none available within 50 miles, order cancelled.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:29 AM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,075 Likes on 1,561 Posts
I just purchased some of the Valvoline frome Napa. Ship to home was not available. They are having a monthly special, $21.99/g.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:35 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
I did the same thing with Rotella T6 at Tractor Supply... added it to my cart to check out, which stated it was in stock and ready for pick up, but about 10 minutes later I got an email cancelling my order.

Old 01-07-2022, 11:07 AM
GreenToxon
Trailering
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I’ve been trying to get some T6 here in SoCal, when I tried buying from Amazon it was unavailable. NAPA/Autozone/Advance Auto all had some that I tried ordering and they would all cancel my orders after a few hours for local pickup.

Managed to get 3 gallons from Amazon for $79.99 + tax. Still missing 1.3 for my first oil change but it’s been a pain.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:48 PM
Norris McCarty
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cpobst
So I am having a very difficult time finding engine oil! I have some T6 for one more oil change however the shelves are void of just about all diesel engine oil around here. I even looked for Travelers oil at TSC with no luck. Anyone else experiencing this? I don't get it, there is plenty of gasser oil. Also I have asked this before several years ago but what are your thoughts on Super Tech? I have been using ST synthetic in my gas engines for some time now and I have researched it enough to know that it is a good oil however I have not found enough data on their diesel oil. I would prefer synthetic but I am ok with conventional especially if it is my only option. Walmart does have some SuperTech on the shelf and although it is not on the Ford approved oil list is does have their standard on the back of the bottle. Maybe if Ford updated their list it would be on there? I think the latest list is dated May 2018. And just to clarify because I know some on here like getting their jabs in, it has nothing to do with cost it is all about what is available. So save the "OP buys an 80K dollar truck and he is trying to save $5 on an oil change" comments!!
Reminds me of the toilet paper shortage......there will be a real shortage when everyone freaks out over the "headlines" and buys more than they actually need. No "shortage" in Texas.

The following users liked this post:
Tom
Old 01-07-2022, 12:52 PM
09FX-4
Tuned
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
My Shell distributor had 39 cases of the 3-gallon 5W40 T6 in stock last week when I bought two cases. Local stores here were completely out...

Old 01-07-2022, 01:14 PM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by cpobst
Walmart does have some SuperTech on the shelf and although it is not on the Ford approved oil list is does have their standard on the back of the bottle. Maybe if Ford updated their list it would be on there? I think the latest list is dated May 2018.
Here is a list that someone shared in a recent thread that was updated 11/3/21. I quickly looked through and didn't notice any of the SuperTech on there though... I could have missed it.

Quick Reply: Oil Shortage!