Sponsored by: Moser

upset at loss of truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:49 AM
GroundedF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upset at loss of truck

I just recently lost my truck the other day due to someone else's inability to drink and hold his alchol.

Having had the truck for a few years, I decide to get serious with the work on it six months ago. The truck was a 1978 F250 Custom, and was in rough shape when i purchased it. The second owner didn't really know anything about anything when it came to work on the truck, and after fixing all his screw-ups, I started of by getting off the 16.5 inch rims and mounted some 16's so i could mount some decent tires (other than the AT's that i could find for the 16.5's).
From there, i had the DJM's drop beams, and had a friend weld up a rear end drop set-up with a ladder-bar configuration, and had the airbags installed. I had just finished working on the body by fixing rust holes, pulling dents, and general body-work. Still had a few little dents, divits, etc to touch up before i was ready to paint it.

Last Saturday night, while at work, i had the truck parked out by the road. Was proud of the work that's been done since comeing from rust-bucket, multi-primer color to the uni-primered color, smoothed out truck. The individual went racing out of the bar's parking lot, and instead of being on the road, raced right infront of the store and straight into my truck. the whole front end got relocated about 2 feet back on the frame. .

I never did get to work on the interior, other than having the seat re-upholstered (half ate out, rotted originally), and doing a bed liner on the floorboard. the radio was scrapped right after i got it (another gerry-rigging by the previous owner), and was a kraco tape deck that worked when it wanted to, with speakers that worked when they wanted, and get them both working at the same time was a miracle. to work on it, a $20 stereo, or to scrap it and do my own... hmmm, let me think...

Now, i'm in the market for another truck. Thinking of another '73-79 truck since i had so much wrench time on that (self taught mechanic and body work), i kinda know the ends and outs of that model. We'll see where i land with another truck

Old 11-05-2003, 08:19 AM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow... that's terrible. I feel for ya... Hate to see a good friend get crunched. Can you keep the truck and swap parts to a 'new' one?

I hate people that drink and drive - how dumb can one person be... Do people really think "it doesn't affect my driving"?

Marty

Old 11-05-2003, 09:17 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 147 Likes on 121 Posts
My condolences. In my state it seems the government wants to throw the book at first offender caught at road blocks while people with 8 or 9 convictions and crashes still drive. Someone who makes that kind of mistake should have to pay dearly.

Old 11-05-2003, 01:16 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That sucks! No other way to put it.

I'm assuming the insurance company totaled it, and that the price they gave you was nowhere near what you had in it. However, you should be able to up that amount if you can show proof of how much you had into it. Before and after pix are helpful. "Restored" vehicles are worth more than bluebook.

I think a person should be able to have their vehicle REPLACED when some moron destroys it. Especially drunken morons. Go after the guy!

Kevin K.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:14 PM
FordguyatOU
Senior User
He should be hung. That piece of crap. Another great Ford gone, because of ignorance!

Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
That sucks man
hopefully, with karma you'll find a real cool 73-79 real cheap
good luck

Old 11-05-2003, 03:40 PM
79 250 lariat 4x4
Junior User
i had a friend roll his 78 f-250 camper special.. he had it on the road with a new box.. cab and front clip in under 18 days.. thats on a limited budget to.. just so u know it can be done. it was written off by the insurance company so he had to buy it back from them to rebuild it.. but the point to this is that u can fix it

Old 11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
Yeah you could try to fix it
did the waste of human life who hit it bend the frame?

Old 11-05-2003, 03:49 PM
laptopgeek
Elder User
Consider neutering the guy with nail-clippers.....

Old 11-05-2003, 03:50 PM
GroundedF250
New User
thanks, guys.

Another peeve i've got, since i've been at the yard this afternoon (not much in the way of classes today) is this: What's not yours should remain so. Some got the compressor and tank.

the rear's not that difficult to replace since i had designed it myself (being an AutoCad major/student). most of the money that was tied up in it was the front ibeams. Yeah, material cost and the airbags in the back weren't cheap, but, when you have to pay $450 for just the ibeams...

it sucks when you are a student and working mininum wage jobs just so you don't have to much interferrance with school, so the money's tight, and someone comes along and decides they want something of yours more than you do. kinda like the time i lost some stereo components in the camaro i have.

on the other end of things, did manage to get some wheels that move, a 1989 hyundai excel. Laugh as you may, but it gets from point A to point B right now till i get the another truck. besides, why sacrifice getting a truck you want when it's not available for some other truck that you don't want that is availble? now i can sit back and wait till it lands in my lap. For $200, i'll wait and destroy the car.

Old 11-05-2003, 04:02 PM
79 250 lariat 4x4
Junior User
laugh?? i should post some pictures of what i am driving right now LOL 88 VW fox painted entirely in black rock-guard with a flourescent orange bumblebee stripe on the back, front end mangled from hitting a deer had it for two years and it's been through alot.. offroading in places my friends wouldn't take their trucks into, etc..... looks like the biggest POS u've ever seen.. but it works till i get the ford on the road

Old 11-05-2003, 04:53 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
can you transplant the I-beams and other stuff onto your next, or is it all gone?

camaro???

what's a camaro?

Old 11-05-2003, 05:16 PM
GroundedF250
New User
The Ibeams are there, but i'm not sure if they got damaged or not. Haven't crawled under it to investigate that yet. The rear should be fairly simple to swap out, if not rebuild (with the current modifications). know where the problems lay and instead of doing the same rear end, may just make the new ones.

camaro...hmm, yea a dead breed. mustangs are too hard for me to climb in and out with my bad knees.

I had it to do all over, i would have taken the money invested in the camaro and started on the truck then. $8000 invested and it sits there with #3 burnt out tranny.

Old 11-06-2003, 01:37 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wanna sell your new door weatherstripping?

Old 11-07-2003, 10:50 AM
John Pen
Tuned
My condolenenses...Hope you get another and make a good truck between the two.....

Quick Reply: upset at loss of truck