This would be of interest to any painter novice or pro...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:46 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This would be of interest to any painter novice or pro...

IF your a subscriber of sp*t truck then this isn't new but if your not then there is a paint available now that is water based and requires no mixing, shoot right out of the bottle and you only need to apply heat for a short period of time to get it to cure and that is if the outside temp isn't warm and dry. However you do have to shoot a clear so you will have to get possibly an outside source to do that if you do not wish too, but any clear is compatible still good news (ya know duplicolor has clear in a can,hmmm). May wanna check it out, no mixing and it is water based and supposed to be non toxic so good for the home painter I didn't get a price so I cannot say as to how much of a savings money wise there would be. Let me know what you think especially if you have by chance seen its use.

http://autoaircolors.com

WHY IS IT WHEN I TYPE "SP*RT TRUCK" (PUT THE STAR SO IT WOULDN'T GET CHANGED)IT SHOWS UP TRUCKIN'????? IF YOU FELLOWS DON'T BELIEVE ME TYPE IN SP*RT TRUCK THEN WHEN YOU ENTER IT IT SHOWS UP TRUCKIN BUT WHEN YOU EDIT IT APPEARS SP*RT TRUCK, WEIRD HUH?

Last edited by jwtaylor; 11-04-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:42 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sport Truck!
just for testing lets see!
Rich

Old 11-04-2003, 09:47 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You have Won a !1,000000000000 dollars !
Just don't tell anyone !
sport Truck contest!!!!!!!!

Rich

Old 11-04-2003, 10:31 PM
broncr
Elder User
JW, that is some facinating stuff. I'm going to get a little and try it out - if it's half of what it's advertised to be (and those Gallery pic's are REAL), I might have to do the ol' Bronco with it. What the heck - my wife says the ol mule is "HIDIOUS"(sp?) so what have I got to lose? I think I'll try it out on the tailgate & front apron - just to see how it holds up while I'm patching the rear quarters...

By the way - my hidious beast hasn't spent a day in the shop in 12 years (2 days in MY garage for an engine transplant - I don't count that), hers has spent several weeks in the last 4 years...

Mine may be uuuugly, but I'd drive it to the moon... hey, I'd be on my way back according to the odometer...

Sport Truck

Last edited by broncr; 11-04-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
So you fellows believe me know that sp*rt truck spelled correctly turns out to be sport truck for the record I wrote sp*rt truck. later

Old 11-05-2003, 01:30 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
broncr
If you have the time and interest post some pix in your gallery of how the paint performed as well as some thoughts on it. So you say it is actually cheaper than advertised on the website huh?

Old 11-05-2003, 04:18 PM
broncr
Elder User
I sent 'em an email request for color chart & nearest dealer loc. (none in Colo.) Price-wise, all I saw was the web $$$ (around $160/gal) - which didn't seem too prohibitive - except the chameleon - georgeous, but $670/gal. Go to "products", then "click here" for colors & prices...

sport truck Broncr

JW, what's your take on OEM vs CAPA certified replacements - I kinda get a sniff of insurance companies pumpin' the CAPA's...??

Last edited by broncr; 11-05-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Broncr

If they can save a buck or two I would imagine they would push the use of anything satisfactory enough to get by standards wise. As far as weather or not the parts are of the same quality I have no idea, would say it is a case by case thing and depends on the supplier. Later

Old 11-05-2003, 08:31 PM
broncr
Elder User
Yeah,... I've was hoping to get some input from someone who does body repair for a living.... so far, it's been wait and see... CAPA sounds like a good idea, but it may just be propaganda...

I'll post pics when I do the paint test...still waiting for a response from them.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 AM
broncr
Elder User
The folks at Autoair were quick to respond. Color charts are avalable from them or any dealer for $25. There are dealers in Colo.Springs AND Denver (both Meininger), however the Denver dealer website indicates a rather limited in stock supply...

At least there's a local supplier to visit.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:20 PM
broncr
Elder User
Any paint pro's care to comment? I think I'm going to give it a try on the front apron (?) ( declaration of rookiness) while I'm working the rest of the body. That piece above the bumper & below the grille looks like it's been gravel blasted, so I thought that would be a good place to test durability...

Broncr

Last edited by broncr; 11-10-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
lucas restoration
Junior User
I do restorations & I would not use it on any thing I would have my name on. Maby on a beater ? Not sold on it for long term!

Old 11-12-2003, 10:03 PM
broncr
Elder User
Welcome to FTE, and THANK YOU for responding!!!

Broncr

Old 11-13-2003, 08:40 PM
lucas restoration
Junior User
I would like to say I am checking into getting some and trying it myself . The previous reply of mine was before I looked at the system closer. New to FTE it is a great !

Old 11-14-2003, 05:35 PM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
From what I have been reading GM (can I say bad words here???) has been using water based paint for a few years now.

Quick Reply: This would be of interest to any painter novice or pro...