2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Lost trailer brakes today on my 2022, not trailers fault.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 06:16 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 496 Likes on 275 Posts
Lost trailer brakes today on my 2022, not trailers fault.

Was driving home from work with my 14k trailer and noticed stopping was hard. Come to find out the trailer brakes weren’t working.
pulled over to investigate.
Truck said trailer was hooked but when squeezed the trailer brake controller the message would say no trailer. I’ll spare you everything I did to come to the problem being my trucks trailer brake controller was not sending power. No faults listed.. I drove a little more and pulled over again to check fuses cause I didn't during initial troubleshooting. Left truck running and pulled and checked fuse #62 under hood, then fuse #30 on passenger foot well. I will add that I turned truck off and back on, unplugging and plugging with no luck. The pulling of those fuses got my brakes back. The one thing I dont know is which one, as I pulled them consecutively before driving off and finding brakes were back. I hadn’t expected them back as fuses were good.

quickly I will add that during trouble shooting I cleaned connection and pulled emergency break away to ensure brake issue was truck related, which was on initial stop and troubleshooting. Not second where all i did was pull fuses.

lights never stopped working. Only brakes.

Either pulling the fuses allowed computer to reset(where shutting off didnt) or corrected a fuse connection issue.

The following 4 users liked this post by zeroo:
Old 12-09-2021, 07:02 PM
sleddinfool
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Most likely the connection from truck to trailer.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:04 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sleddinfool
Most likely the connection from truck to trailer.
not a chance

Old 12-09-2021, 07:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,043 Posts
interesting, if it comes back, try just one of the fixes and recheck. Maybe narrow it down.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:11 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Received 299 Likes on 208 Posts
How was trailer ground ? Through connector.
grounds or loss of. Can create all kinds of weirdness. It's been this way since they started using the built in controller. My 06 was a finicky bitch .
as well

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 09:45 PM
JDski
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the same issues you describe with a Tachonca P3 controller. It was intermittent but frequently on a down hill I would get a NO Brakes warning. Thought it must be the trailer and or connections. I replaced everything all the way to the backing plates on the brakes. Re did all connections. Same problem still existed. Then the P3 controller lights went dim. I called Tachonca and they said they had a problem with some of their P3 controllers. They replaced and the problem disappeared. I realize I am not talking apples and apples but I will suggest that the solution will be the same. Replacing the brake controller system.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:32 AM
TIMM250
5th Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 22. I tow four different trailers consistently. The trailer brake warning came up on two of them, and then the right directional warning came up on another one. I had already put connection grease on all my connectors under the truck when I got it. Including the trailer one on the back side. I took that connection apart there was power there so the problem was between the truck harness and the trailer plug socket. I replaced the trailer socket on my 18 for a similar problem. It looks like they still haven't figured it out. Replaced it with an aftermarket Hoppy socket. All problems solved all trailers work.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:50 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
My initial stop to check brakes was to clean connection.
checked that all lights work.
pull emergency plug on trailer to verify trailer brakes work.
use multi meter to test plug to trailer ground.
use pipe to wedge against seat and brake pedal to verify no brake juice.
turn truck off several times.
unplug and plug trailer back in several times.
I even tried adding a new trailer.
so for some reason brake controller wasn’t sending juice back.

After I stopped second time I only pulled fuses. Problem fixed.

I’ve had superdutys, wile driving, all of a sudden say trailer disconnected. Then a few seconds later it reconnected. My last 2019 did it a few times but had the most issue with a 2015.

Old 01-25-2022, 05:34 PM
luckyreese
New User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 22 as well and have this problem. It’s fuse 62 that fixes the problem. I just picked my truck up from getting a new trailer control module and still have the problem. On some trailers it doesn’t work when I crank my truck. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. My 40ft has an older style battery box on it and it works like it should on start up but I periodically lose them going down the road and the only way to get that back is by pulling fuse 62. You can do it while it’s running and it’ll work just like it should. It’s been to ford a few times to get checked and still no fix.

The following 3 users liked this post by luckyreese:
Old 01-28-2022, 11:43 AM
analog
Cross-Country
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
My 22 did this recently a couple times on a x-country trip. The only way I was able to get it fixed was to shut down for a spell for like lunch or overnight. Pulling over, shutting down and starting back up a minute or two later had no effect. My guess is the computer doesn't actually shut off unless the truck is off for a set period of time.

Thanks for the note on fuse 62. If it happens again, I'll try that! Very annoying and not very safe to just lose trailer brakes with no notice until you try to stop and realize they aren't there!

Old 01-29-2022, 01:28 AM
2Wheel-Lee
Mountain Pass
Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts
The trailer brakes on my 22 F450 don't work either. The trailer brakes work fine with my other truck. I've been reading elsewhere that this has been a common problem with 22s.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:35 AM
AtlasBlue350
Mountain Pass
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Wheel-Lee
The trailer brakes on my 22 F450 don't work either. The trailer brakes work fine with my other truck. I've been reading elsewhere that this has been a common problem with 22s.
I really hope not. My F-350 is on it's way and I'll be pulling a 5th Wheel with it. Not having trailer brakes is not an option when running around the mountainous Pacific Northwest.

The following 2 users liked this post by AtlasBlue350:
Old 01-29-2022, 06:49 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
On a similar note, my usb in the console stoped charging my phone. Pulled all 5 fuses associated with the power points as I didn’t know which is which to check them, none blown. After that it worked.

weird.

and my trailer brakes have been working fine now.

The following 2 users liked this post by zeroo:
Old 03-03-2022, 06:19 PM
_Godzilla_
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was this ever figured out? My 22 F450 does the same thing, brakes work at first then stop working unless the fuse is pulled to reset it. Its dangerous. They have undated the module but that did nothing

Old 03-03-2022, 06:46 PM
stryder
Fleet Mechanic
Received 143 Likes on 79 Posts
A guy on another group talked with Ford CEO last weekend and mentioned the trailer brake issue. A fix is coming.

The following 6 users liked this post by stryder:
1960_F100, analog, MagicMtnDan, NeverboughtanFseries, Split rims, Y2KW57 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Lost trailer brakes today on my 2022, not trailers fault.