1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1 barrel carberator, 65 240 eng

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 AM
geraldww
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 barrel carberator, 65 240 eng

On the top of my one barrel carb there is a slinder horizontal plastic rod. I don't think it's a pump but could be wrong. The rod is broken. I want to rebuild the carberator but I'm not sure if this rod can be replaced. Does anyone know if it comes with a rebuild kit.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:40 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might want to post some pictures of your carb. If its original to the 240, according to the manual it should be an Autolite 1100 with spark control valve. I have discovered that mine, in spite of ostensibly being original, is an Autolite 1101.

In either case, there are bowl vent valves on top of the carb float bowl housing. These look differently in different circumstances. They are not the most critical components, but I can understand your desire to do it right.

I highly doubt they would come with a rebuild kit. A good source of parts (and a damned good rebuilt, if you want to pay for it) is ponycarbs.com

I have hashed and rehashed carb and ignition issues with my 240. It is useful to keep in mind that the 61-66 pickups only had the 240/300 in 65 and 66. The 67-72 and beyond have them much more often. Searches in the 6-72 forum can often yield more information than here. Also -- fordsix.com is a great resource.

Hope this all helps.......

Old 11-05-2003, 08:05 AM
geraldww
Freshman User
Thanks, Your information and suggestion led me to the answer. It is a "1100 bowl vent rod" and is available. This web site has proven to be very helpful.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
lsendel
Junior User
I found another great forum strictly for ford carb issues...

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/88781

lots of good info

Old 11-25-2003, 01:38 PM
geraldww
Freshman User
Anyone have an opinion on plugging the vent. Right now the hole is open into the bowl. If there ever was any parts there other than a spring and the vent rod, I would'nt know. As I recall there is a tube leading from that location into the throat. Seems like if I plugged it where the rod goes in, there might be a chance that the air pull into the carburetor would also pull gas through the tube. I can't see plugging both as an option. I know the best route would be to order a new bowl vent rod, but I'll need to find out if there are other vent componants in the top of the carburetor as well. I don't want to run it open either. If the float ever sticks, gas will go all over the exaust manf.