Pin Weight as Percentage of Trailer GVWR

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 07:00 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Pin Weight as Percentage of Trailer GVWR

So I was finally able to get to a scale with the truck, 5th wheel (with 30gals of fresh water), family and dog on board. I am within all specs on the truck and trailer, but I found that my pin weight is only 18.5% of the trailer GVWR. I know generally we aim for between 20-25% as that seems to be best for ride and handling. I notice minor chucking, but enough for it to be annoying.

Question is how to I increase pin weight without adding unnecessary stuff to the bedroom of the trailer? I already have two 6 volt lead acid batteries up front, a proper mattress on the bed, clothes and linens in the closets. The water tank is directly over the axles so doesn't affect the pin at all. Alternatively, is there another solution to chucking?

Old 08-24-2021, 07:31 PM
Jimmy's Pilot Service
Laughing Gas
Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
You do not necessarily need to put stuff over the pin however the further you can move any items to the front will help. If you have cargo in the truck try putting it in the front lockers. If you do not need to travel with water don't and that will help with overall weight. I would recommend filling tanks closer to destination if dry camping from a good source. Depending on your tank size you could lighten the overall weight of the trailer by several hundred pounds and that does translate to a shift in percentage on the pin.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:42 PM
ATC_F350
Laughing Gas
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Obviously put as much in the basement of the the rv, as you can. I'm assuming you have one up front. You might do a test before you go much further and test the chucking. Add enough front weight to get you to 20-22%. The weight can be iron weights, feed, dog food, add anything that works. Now tow it, If it still chucks, you might consider a goose box type hitch, but the 1/2 towables (I don't know what you have) are more known for chucking because they try and keep the pin weight down. If it doesn't chuck, then weight in the basement or under the bed seem to be the best options. I know someone who bought a iron weight set off of Craigslist and put a couple hundred pounds under the bed and in a front closet. Ideal, no, but the problem was solved for a fair price in a not very obtrusive way.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
The wife, over time, will help you with the pin wt, lol.

The best thing to do is really, nothing. Changing to a goosebox will help but maybe a different hitch.

I carry full water all the time so don't let that stop you.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:27 PM
Jimmy's Pilot Service
Laughing Gas
Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
The wife, over time, will help you with the pin wt, lol.

The best thing to do is really, nothing. Changing to a goosebox will help but maybe a different hitch.

I carry full water all the time so don't let that stop you.

Not saying not to carry the water. Just saying it may help shift some total weight for working out the ride.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:57 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Well, based on all your comments, it seems like I will have to live with the mild chucking or simply add dead weight to the front storage compartment as I don't carry any cargo in the truck that can be moved and there isn't anything else in the trailer to move forward. I always travel with at least a half tank of water because 'ya never know if you will need it'. I only need about 200lbs to hit the 20% mark so I will have to play around with some things... maybe I should buy a generator.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:05 AM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Great Danes
So I was finally able to get to a scale with the truck, 5th wheel (with 30gals of fresh water), family and dog on board. I am within all specs on the truck and trailer, but I found that my pin weight is only 18.5% of the trailer GVWR. I know generally we aim for between 20-25% as that seems to be best for ride and handling. I notice minor chucking, but enough for it to be annoying.

Question is how to I increase pin weight without adding unnecessary stuff to the bedroom of the trailer? I already have two 6 volt lead acid batteries up front, a proper mattress on the bed, clothes and linens in the closets. The water tank is directly over the axles so doesn't affect the pin at all. Alternatively, is there another solution to chucking?
Are you using the GVWR on the sticker or the actual weight of the trailer as its loaded for the road, actual weight is what you want to use. 18.5% isn't that far off from 20 so I doubt it would give you any towing issues, if you pin weight was to light you would have a lot of towing and control problems. As far as minor clunking most of the time it's caused by play in the hitch, poorly operating trailer brakes or trailer supension problems most common being no or bad shocks. Leaf spring trailer supension has to be dampen or it will give you a jerky ride because of the way it steps of bumps and transfers weight between the axles.

Denny

Old 08-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Originally Posted by rvpuller
Are you using the GVWR on the sticker or the actual weight of the trailer as its loaded for the road, actual weight is what you want to use. 18.5% isn't that far off from 20 so I doubt it would give you any towing issues, if you pin weight was to light you would have a lot of towing and control problems. As far as minor clunking most of the time it's caused by play in the hitch, poorly operating trailer brakes or trailer supension problems most common being no or bad shocks. Leaf spring trailer supension has to be dampen or it will give you a jerky ride because of the way it steps of bumps and transfers weight between the axles.

Denny
I was using the GVWR on the sticker which gave me 18.5% but based on your comment which makes more sense, I am actually at 21.7% so I guess I don't feel too bad. I will look into some other options as you noted about suspension improvements.

Has anyone used sumo springs on their trailers to help with the ride? Are shocks a better option? I would appreciate any opinions on suspension upgrades for the trailer that are a reasonable cost... and yes, I understand reasonable means something different for everyone but let's say Independent Suspension is not reasonable in my case. For reference, the trailer is a Reflection 28BH with the CRE3000 suspension.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:34 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,058 Likes on 2,836 Posts
I have shocks on my trailer. I took them off to check them and they seemed like they were dead. I ordered the same shock, to ensure that it would fit. Same thing. Very little pressure in the shock. I swapped those out for some Monroe Magnums. Do they work better? Beats me, I don't ride in the trailer.

Maybe this is worrying too much but if there isn't a reinforcing plate where the Sumo springs attach to the frame. I would worry that it could stress the frame.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:21 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 375 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Great Danes
Well, based on all your comments, it seems like I will have to live with the mild chucking or simply add dead weight to the front storage compartment as I don't carry any cargo in the truck that can be moved and there isn't anything else in the trailer to move forward. I always travel with at least a half tank of water because 'ya never know if you will need it'. I only need about 200lbs to hit the 20% mark so I will have to play around with some things... maybe I should buy a generator.
Question for ya: Are you using an actual 5th wheel? Or a 5th to gooseneck conversion? I had a 5th wheel quite a few years back that I installed a 5th to gooseneck conversion and had a lot of chucking. Removed the conversion and chucking went away. Really weird but didn't have the time or patients to figure out why that was happening.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:55 PM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
The Monroe Magnum shock that replaces the standard trailer shock is #555025, Rock Auto #P1234.

I moved my upper shock mounts because there wasn't enough travel with the way they were mounted to the Mor-Ryde RE system. I had a welding shop build them for me, the photo is from when I converted to disk brakes. I ended moving the mounting bracket so the shocks are almost straight up and down because they were hitting my calipers. The heavy duty Monroe shock make a difference in the ride.

Denny

Old 08-26-2021, 02:22 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,058 Likes on 2,836 Posts
555025 is the part number I used. I wrote up a long review of those shocks on Amazon, with pictures. It's the first one shown, maybe because it's newer than most and has a few "helpful" ratings. I put the same review here on the forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-shocks.html

Old 08-26-2021, 03:16 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I use a goosebox, not the same as a gooseneck. No chucking with it.

Old 08-26-2021, 03:46 PM
Great Danes
More Turbo
Originally Posted by MKrenn
Question for ya: Are you using an actual 5th wheel? Or a 5th to gooseneck conversion? I had a 5th wheel quite a few years back that I installed a 5th to gooseneck conversion and had a lot of chucking. Removed the conversion and chucking went away. Really weird but didn't have the time or patients to figure out why that was happening.
I am using an actual 5th wheel pin box and B&W slider hitch that fits the Ford pucks. Now that I think about that, it is possible there is slight movement in the slider mechanism although when I try to move it by hand it is super tight and doesn't exhibit any play.
Seems there are always so many variables when it comes to towing.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:31 AM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 375 Likes on 257 Posts
Weird. I never have had chucking with a regular 5th wheel hitch. Guessing it must be a weight thing of some sort.......

Quick Reply: Pin Weight as Percentage of Trailer GVWR