Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 01:18 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

Received 163 Likes on 106 Posts
My Accufab is sold fwiw

Old 05-12-2024, 11:19 PM
Blessedman
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great information! I have a 2010 V-10 2v. I would like to purchase the Accufab SCTB96-98 but I can't find
a site to purchase from.

Do you have the link to where you purchased your SCTB96-98?

Thanks..........

Old 05-13-2024, 02:06 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
This is where i bought mine, make sure your V10 is still using a throttle cable, and not an electronic servo driven throttle body, if your unsure, post a picture of it, and what year make and model vehicle it is.

https://treperformance.com/i-62516-a...ttle-body.html

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:14 AM
Blessedman
4th Gear
Purchase Link To Throttle Body

Originally Posted by MasterX
This is where i bought mine, make sure your V10 is still using a throttle cable, and not an electronic servo driven throttle body, if your unsure, post a picture of it, and what year make and model vehicle it is.

https://treperformance.com/i-62516-a...ttle-body.html

Thanks for taking the time to send me that link.

I am an RV dealer and just needed to have something to pull my RV's with for a few months until my other truck. My truck is a 2009 Ford F350 with
only 37,000 certified miles. Hey, for $4,700 you can beat the price. Thanks for taking the time to post such detailed information.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:22 AM
WE3ZS
Received 924 Likes on 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Blessedman
Great information! I have a 2010 V-10 2v. I would like to purchase the Accufab SCTB96-98 but I can't find
a site to purchase from.

Do you have the link to where you purchased your SCTB96-98?

Thanks..........
Originally Posted by Blessedman
Thanks for taking the time to send me that link.

I am an RV dealer and just needed to have something to pull my RV's with for a few months until my other truck. My truck is a 2009 Ford F350 with
only 37,000 certified miles. Hey, for $4,700 you can beat the price. Thanks for taking the time to post such detailed information.

An F-350 from either 2009 or 2010 would be the 3 valve V-10, not the 2 valve as stated above in your first post. Not sure if the same throttle body would work on both.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:32 AM
Blessedman
4th Gear
I am not a mechanic and or a car tech guy, so I appreciate your feeback. I was just under the impression that v2 was the early years.
So, what is the better of the 2 and why?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2024, 09:39 AM
WE3ZS
Received 924 Likes on 623 Posts
The 2V was the early years, pre’05 in the pickup trucks, ‘05+ the trucks got the 3V. I guess most would say the 3V was the better of the two as it had more horsepower and torque along with the 5 speed vs the 2V’s 4 speed auto.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:39 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
The SCTB96-98 will NOT work with any 3V V10 engine, it will technically bolt on because the pattern is correct, however the intake plenum is split into two 65mm passages, and the throttle blade will impact the center divider which will block it from opening more than about 5 degrees.

Additionally, the 3V engines use throttle by wire, meaning the throttle is driven by a survo motor, not a pull cable, so you would not be able to connect the SCTB96-98 to your has pedal, and the electronics are obviously completely incompatible.

CAVEAT: If someone ever bothers to 3V swap into a 2V truck, with a custom intake manifold, etc, then the SCTB96-98 could be utilized on a 3V, but that is the only scenario, and not in the presence of the throttle by wire running gear.

If your truck is a 3V, which it sounds like there is a 99% chance of, a good tune should be able to wake it up considerably, the 3V engine ECUs are filled with grannies, throttle limiters, torque limiters, etc, have a tuner disable all of them, and you will be able to spin the tires just bumping the gas.

The torque limiter especially, dampens take off torque a lot , its present in the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 3V ECMs, and intended to prevent you from wrapping it around a tree or slide around the rear end, but turning it off allows you to take off much quicker.

i have had like 5 mod motors, now, and i have turned off all of those on all but one of them, i left them all on for the expedition that my mother in law drives that way she doesnt get into trouble, but on my other expedition 3v, man what a difference turning it all off made, even with the older 4R75E trans, its like a missile by comparison to its former self of course. The other Expedition which has the 6 speed, just barely keeps up with it now, where as the 6 speed used to win every time.

No the mother in law did not drag race me in it, a buddy of mine helped me go and get a load of stuff using the expeditions because the excursion was taken apart at the time, we raced the Expys on the way to home depot with and without the tune on the 05, 2 runs the 09 won easily without the tune on the 05, stopped and put the tune back on, the 05 pulls so much harder, even chirps tires a little bit, and the 09 can hold with it up to the top of 3rd gear in the 05,
when the 05 hits 4th, it bogs pretty good because of the overdrive gear, and the 09 can overtake it because of superior gearing in the 6 speed 6r80 with the same powerful 3V engine.

Even with TC off the 05 wont really spin tires unless your on dirt without its tune, with the tune it will light up on command with just a stab of the gas and no break standing needed, and it will slide out the rear easily, yes its also a 4WD, the 09 is 2WD.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-2024, 11:59 PM
Blessedman
4th Gear
You are one smart dude. Thanks for all that great information that you gave in just a few minutes from my question.

So appreciate your time.

Blessedman

Old 05-14-2024, 10:56 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
The SCTB96-98 will NOT work with any 3V V10 engine, it will technically bolt on because the pattern is correct, however the intake plenum is split into two 65mm passages, and the throttle blade will impact the center divider which will block it from opening more than about 5 degrees.

Additionally, the 3V engines use throttle by wire, meaning the throttle is driven by a survo motor, not a pull cable, so you would not be able to connect the SCTB96-98 to your has pedal, and the electronics are obviously completely incompatible.

CAVEAT: If someone ever bothers to 3V swap into a 2V truck, with a custom intake manifold, etc, then the SCTB96-98 could be utilized on a 3V, but that is the only scenario, and not in the presence of the throttle by wire running gear. ....
Is the "split" in the plenum just a cast divider wall? If it is, couldn't the divider be ground down to provide clearance for the throttle plate?
I thought I had read there was an application for the SCTB96-98 where that was an issue (a Mustang manifold maybe) and the "fix" was to grind down the divider.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:06 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

I'll run a Dremel as much as the next guy, but you'd still have to contend with the servo vs cable situation.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:23 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
Is the "split" in the plenum just a cast divider wall? If it is, couldn't the divider be ground down to provide clearance for the throttle plate?
I thought I had read there was an application for the SCTB96-98 where that was an issue (a Mustang manifold maybe) and the "fix" was to grind down the divider.
The Plenum on the 3V engines is plastic, and it runs each bank seperately, even if you got out a dremel and made it fit, there would be little to no benefit at all because the inlet ports are already a port match to the factory throttle body in that year, so no point, you would have to go to a custom or aftermarket intake manifold to be able to do anything worthwhile.

And then there is still the cable vs servo issue. The best use care for doing this would be someday when someone finally gets the nerve to put a 3V v10 into a truck with the older ECM, which is doable, just takes time, patience, and some wire splicing and a tune. Seen dozens of guys 3V and 4V swap their 2V mustangs and just tune the 2V computer to run everything.

The 2V engine computer isnt as smart as the newer ECMs in the 3v vehicles, but this can be a blessing in disguise, there is a lot less to go whacko when you are doing a frankenstein build. and they are good enough you can tune them to make real good power, without having all the dorky grannies to muddle through, of which the 3V computers have numerous

Old 05-14-2024, 12:51 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

The Plenum on the 3V engines is plastic, and it runs each bank separately, even if you got out a Dremel and made it fit, there would be little to no benefit at all because the inlet ports are already a port match to the factory throttle body in that year, so no point, you would have to go to a custom or aftermarket intake manifold to be able to do anything worthwhile.

And then there is still the cable vs servo issue. The best use care for doing this would be someday when someone finally gets the nerve to put a 3V v10 into a truck with the older ECM, which is doable, just takes time, patience, and some wire splicing and a tune. Seen dozens of guys 3V and 4V swap their 2V mustangs and just tune the 2V computer to run everything.

The 2V engine computer isn't as smart as the newer ECMs in the 3v vehicles, but this can be a blessing in disguise, there is a lot less to go whacko when you are doing a Frankenstein build. and they are good enough you can tune them to make real good power, without having all the dorky grannies to muddle through, of which the 3V computers have numerous
In regards to the plenum split, the TB is going to open jointly for both banks anyway, so I don't imagine there would be much of an issue there. I could be wrong (as my wife often reminds me).

In regards to a 3V V10 in a 2V vehicle, IIRC it's been done. I don't have the thread bookmarked, but I vividly recall reading it on here. The piece in the plenum that adjusts the intake's volume/shape was locked in place, and otherwise it was just a 3V motor living in a 2V world.

Old 05-14-2024, 03:36 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by JAck19
In regards to the plenum split, the TB is going to open jointly for both banks anyway, so I don't imagine there would be much of an issue there. I could be wrong (as my wife often reminds me).

In regards to a 3V V10 in a 2V vehicle, IIRC it's been done. I don't have the thread bookmarked, but I vividly recall reading it on here. The piece in the plenum that adjusts the intake's volume/shape was locked in place, and otherwise it was just a 3V motor living in a 2V world.
You just have to do a lot of re-splicing sensors, lock that thing in place, and swap on a twin blade cable driven throttle body because the plenum will not work with mono-blades, it requires a twin blade.

Then get it re-tuned to run properly, because the timing, fuel tables, etc, will not know what to do when there is two intake valves instead of one, and it flows so much better.