1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

steering column

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 08:06 AM
james northen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question steering column

Hello, does anybody out there know where I can get an oem automatic shift steering column for my 65 ford f-100. They seem to be very rare in my part of the country(Beaumont, tx.). I know that a newer model will fit but would like to have an original one. THANKS
James

Old 11-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Your going to be hunting a needle in a haystack with that one. Auto trannies were available, however, rare. Hence, the columns are just as rare.
You can find them on Ebay every once in awhile but prices get on up there.
I suggest you look into modifying you existing column to 'appear' like an auto by utilizing the shifter for your auto trannie (if this is what you have in it). Don't ask me how as I have never seen it done, but if I had one to try it out with, I would have done it myself.

Old 11-03-2003, 06:20 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James,

Some folks use 3 spd set up and hook a custom made shift rod from 2nd- 3rd gear (bottom most) lever. Although this does work, it is a stop gap deal at best.

There are a few pitfalls to this plan. 1st is safety. An A/T Col has a "saw toothed" plate which a "knife edged" part of shifter drags across. This is called a "DETENT" plate. It's why shift lever must be lifted/ pulled towards strg wheel to enter/ exit Park & Reverse position, also reason why lever clicks thru N-D-D1-L , or whatever your shifting pattern happens to be.

Without detent plate, [as with case of 3 spd manual used as A/T shifter mechanism] there is no detent plate, lever can flop & drop which changes gears if/when it does.

2, Saw tooth pattern also establishes correct relative position of shift linkages to req'd position of manual shift control valve of each A/T, which are not all the same. IOW, a C6, C4, Cruise=O-Matic, AOD etc etc all have different patterns to their Manual control valve positioning.

3, A Column for Cruise-O- Matic has an extra position compared to a C4-C5 column & so forth. There is a detent inside the A/T also, but it ia a ball & spring afair, similar to inside cover plate of 3spd Col Shif type tranny. These ball checked detents are made to move easily, not to hold linkage in positiion.

However, I have used positioning of ballcheck on manual control valve shifter lever at A/T to establish a pattern for a detent plate I would either fabricate, or modify to work as req'd for any given situation/ application.

I cut that correct pattern onto a detent plate either already part of a column, or one I install later. For example a C4 -C5 has the sequence P-R-N-D-L but an AOD has the sequence P-R-N-O-D-L.
C4-C5 have 5 positions & AOD has 6 positions. See?

4, Then there is the issue with a Nuetral Safety Switch. I strongly advise the N/S Sw be retained. I may know enough to be certain the shift lever is in park or nuetral, but somebody else may not know that. W/out an N/S Sw engine canl fire up in gear. A child or unknowing adult could fire it up, have it take off when it started, and hurt somebody. Manual Transmissions may use clutch safety switches now but they were/are not on the column & didn't use them in the 60's.

You can also adapt later column, BUT that really gets involved!
A 2" descrepency in mount position, wiring of later turn indicator switch + 4 way Hazard Flashers & stuff, make interchange with a latermodel involved, although not impossible to do. . . .follow the instructions here @ FTE for/ about "tilt" Cols in 61-66 F's.

So James, as you can see there are "options" but none are very simple. Then again, they say "No pain = No Gain" don't they?....
Hope this is helpful, rather than confusion, on this subject.

FBp

Old 11-03-2003, 08:49 AM
james northen
Junior User
Krosati, your right about ebay prices. I would have to sell my dog to afford those columns and you know that ain't going to happen.

Old 11-03-2003, 09:08 AM
james northen
Junior User
FORDBOYpete, thank you for all the options on the steering column but I like to stay with original parts when possible. If I would just replace the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw-out bearing, and inspect the flywheel this 3speed on the column might be so bad afterall.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:35 PM
sgreen
Senior User
I have one for a 66 f100 cruiseomatic. Should fit yours. It works right down to the safety switch. I am in the Austin area. How would you like to be contacted about this if interested?

Scott