Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow moving passenger power window

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:42 PM
anangryford
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Slow moving passenger power window

Hey everyone. My passenger window isn't going up under its own power. Goes down okay, but is noticeably slower than the driver side. It goes up an inch and then I have to help it up. Its just as weak using the driver switch or passenger, so I assume it's not the switches. Today I'm going to take the door panel off, pull the window motor and see if the little plastic bushings in it are bad as well as clean it out and re-grease it if they are good. I will also clean the contacts on the harness/look at the ground for that side. Is there anything else I should look at while I'm in there? 1991 F150 2wd Lariat 5.0 126k

Old 08-03-2021, 01:03 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Grease the Regulator and make sure it is not broken slightly or bent. Other than the things you are going to do, lube the sliding area for the window with silicone lube. It can get dirty on the tracks. Also after you do all the above, operate the window before replacing door panel and see if you can see the culprit area and you could do it before doing anything first. If you can't see anything hit your motor with something metal and see if it works any better. If so there you have it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 08:12 PM
anangryford
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick update. Operated the motor with it out and it was very slow an clunky. Took it apart and a PO or shop had put metal nuts in place of the nylon bushings. It cracked the outer housing and marred up the gear a bit. Ordered replacements. Took the motor apart and cleaned everything including the brushes and assembled with lithium grease. It operates very smooth now. Hard to tell how fast its going without the rest of it assembled. I will update once I get parts Thursday. I will also pick up some silicone spay for the tracks...

The only thing that went wrong is that the gaskets for the body of the motor crumbled immediately and I put it back together without them. It is definitely not water proof now although I highly doubt it was before.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:51 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by anangryford
Quick update. Operated the motor with it out and it was very slow an clunky. Took it apart and a PO or shop had put metal nuts in place of the nylon bushings. It cracked the outer housing and marred up the gear a bit. Ordered replacements. Took the motor apart and cleaned everything including the brushes and assembled with lithium grease. It operates very smooth now. Hard to tell how fast its going without the rest of it assembled. I will update once I get parts Thursday. I will also pick up some silicone spay for the tracks...

The only thing that went wrong is that the gaskets for the body of the motor crumbled immediately and I put it back together without them. It is definitely not water proof now although I highly doubt it was before.
I think you can get a pack of different gasket material at the Auto Parts store. I bought some but not sure where. Cut to size and they work. You might find them where you get the silicone spray. Glad you got it isolated.