Nobody jumped me!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 03:33 AM
SeniorRVer
Mountain Pass
Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
Nobody jumped me!

Recently I list a couple powertrain choices, both of which listed 2 wheel drive...and since 99% of the members list 4x4 in their Sig...I expected
some "advice" . So.. given that I'm about to order my trk, and a glutton for punishment, please, convince me that 4x4 is an invaluable necessity
while towing my new home. That will be it's sole function. I won't be dragging my home anywhere that would require 4x4, and have traction pads and chains for when mother nature surprises me.

Spoiler: the "you don't need it, 'til you need it" response has been taken, repeatedly.... and retired.

I'm not just being a smartass here, I'll flip for the $2800 upgrade, but being on a budget, would rather buy a camper shell with that $$.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:16 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 260 Likes on 187 Posts
If you haven't needed one yet, you probably won't need one. There are jobs and hobbies where they benefit. We've drug our fiver all over the country for 14 year and we've never felt the need for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by '65Ford:
Old 08-03-2021, 06:37 AM
Akley88
Cargo Master
Received 236 Likes on 177 Posts
if you know you have no need for 4x4 save the money. you will probably get better mileage as well. there are plenty of people that buy the 4x4 option and probably never use it. i always say its your money so buy what fits your needs and budget.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 07:03 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts
Thumbs up

We’re on our fifth 4x2 truck in 35 years; so far mostly so good. I did once need a neighbor to pull me out when I (stupidly) got stuck on a local unpaved muddy road.

The first three of the five, including the one stuck in the mud, were fitted with limited slip differentials. I’m not sure than any worked particularly well. I did, however, take truck #3 sort-of off reading in Wyoming in December, 2009.

We ordered the 2017 and 2019 F-350’s with factory-equipped e-locker diffs. I’ve used the feature on both trucks, and it works quite well.

In addition to a lower initial cost, lower operating costs, and a lower curb weight, the 4x2 is several inches lower than the 4x4, which makes it easier to get into the cab, climb into the bed, and park in a garage. Our state’s weight-based registration fees are also lower.

To be fair, a 4x4 typically commands a higher resale value.

The only drawback from my perspective is the maximum factory tire size (LT275/65R18E), which is smaller and has a lower max load spec than the LT275/70R18E available on the 4x4. This smaller tire reduces official GVWR, rear GAWR, and payload, although our truck’s official as-built payload is still quite good at 3912 lbs.

We solved those problems by having the larger-size tires installed after we bought the truck, and I had our dealer reprogram the truck for the larger tires.

All in all, though, no apologies needed for the 4x2!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

4x2 truck #3, Super Duty #1:

4x2 truck #5, Super Duty #3, with new larger tires:

Old 08-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Kellem
More Turbo
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Since I retired 2 years ago I've not had the need for 4wd but I feel accomplished and cool having it.
Kinda like a $15 cup of Starbucks coffee.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:11 AM
SeniorRVer
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by crewzer
We’re on our fifth 4x2 truck in 35 years. So far mostly so good. I did once need a neighbor to pull me out when I (stupidly) got stuck on a local unpaved muddy road.

The first three of the five, including the one stuck in the mud, were fitted with limited slip differentials. I’m not sure than any worked particularly well. I did, however, take truck #3 sort-of off reading in Wyoming in December, 2009.

The last two (2017 and 2019 F-350’s) were factory-equipped with e-locker diffs. I’ve used the feature on both trucks, and it worked quite well.

In addition to lower initial cost, lower operating costs, and less weight, the 4x2 is several inches lower than the 4x4, which makes it easier to get into the cab, climb into the bed, and park in a garage. Our state’s weight-based registration fees are also lower.

To be fair, a 4x4 typically commands a higher resale value.

The only drawback from my perspective is the maximum factory tire size (LT275/65R18E), which is smaller and has a lower max load spec than the LT275/70R18E available on the 4x4. This smaller tire reduces official GVWR, rear GAWR, and payload, although our truck’s official as-built payload is still quite good at 3912 lbs.

We solved those problems by having the larger-size tires installed after we bought the truck, and I had our dealer reprogram the truck for the larger tires.

All in all, though, no apologies needed for the 4x2!

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

4x2 truck #3, Super Duty #1:

4x2 truck #5, Super Duty #3, with new larger tires:

all great points, the cost/benefit ratio doesn't work for my use case.. higher vehicle ins.can be added to the list as well

Old 08-03-2021, 09:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,975 Likes on 2,819 Posts
I've used 4x4 every year I've owned my F-350. But I live in a mountain state, camp in the mountains and don't let frozen water stop me from having fun.

If I was a flat lander that didn't venture far off the beaten path, 4x2 would do just fine.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:19 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,468 Posts
Originally Posted by SeniorRVer
Recently I list a couple powertrain choices, both of which listed 2 wheel drive...and since 99% of the members list 4x4 in their Sig...I expected
some "advice" . So.. given that I'm about to order my trk, and a glutton for punishment, please, convince me that 4x4 is an invaluable necessity
while towing my new home. That will be it's sole function. I won't be dragging my home anywhere that would require 4x4, and have traction pads and chains for when mother nature surprises me.

Spoiler: the "you don't need it, 'til you need it" response has been taken, repeatedly.... and retired.

I'm not just being a smartass here, I'll flip for the $2800 upgrade, but being on a budget, would rather buy a camper shell with that $$.
So, that’s really the only worthy response to your question. But that’s the answer to everything we are buying really…

It sounds like you are pretty sure you don’t want it, so just curious what you were expecting to get out of your question… unless you do want it and are hoping we will justify it for you… in which case, I say get it!

Ive “needed” to get out of some spots where a 4x4 would have worked and I didn’t have it, but here I am, no longer in that spot, so I don’t guess I really “needed” it. Considering this, I still chose to add it when building my 22. There’s nothing wrong with either answer, just depends on what you want to spend your money on.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:37 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't need it, but you are hard pressed to find a used truck without it as most have it for whatever reason. If I was ordering, I'd skip it unless the extra GVWR is necessary as I think it provides a little extra.

The following 2 users liked this post by PROSTOCK:
Old 08-03-2021, 11:50 AM
SeniorRVer
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
So, that’s really the only worthy response to your question. But that’s the answer to everything we are buying really…

It sounds like you are pretty sure you don’t want it, so just curious what you were expecting to get out of your question… unless you do want it and are hoping we will justify it for you… in which case, I say get it!

Ive “needed” to get out of some spots where a 4x4 would have worked and I didn’t have it, but here I am, no longer in that spot, so I don’t guess I really “needed” it. Considering this, I still chose to add it when building my 22. There’s nothing wrong with either answer, just depends on what you want to spend your money on.
not really an issue of "want", I've flip flopped on this a couple times, and I have to prioritize spending. I keep throwing this issue at the wall to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PROSTOCK
I don't need it, but you are hard pressed to find a used truck without it as most have it for whatever reason. If I was ordering, I'd skip it unless the extra GVWR is necessary as I think it provides a little extra.
Adding 4x4 and the optional LT275/70R18E tires to our 2019 F-350 would have officially increased its GVWR by 700 lbs. (from 10,600 to 11,300), its curb weight by ~420 lbs., and its payload by ~280 lbs.

The 4x2 market probably has a regional influence. We sold our 2017 F-350 4x2 in 2018 to CarMax in Greenville, SC, and they shipped it down to Augusta, GA, where it sold rather quickly.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-04-2021, 05:40 AM
Germanrazor
Tuned
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Convince you that you need 4WD. Well, you may not need it for your lifestyle or applications so I would never push something one never needs if they have been doing fine without it. The reason I would never buy a SUV or truck in a non-4WD configuration is that when you do need it, you need it! I drive in inclement weather because I have too and in the snow, one needs usually a 4WD. If your truck will solely be used to pull a trailer of varying kinds in fair weather only, then don’t spend that extra money and also sacrifice at times more towing capacity. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:37 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
The only reason I can think of is probably ease of resale, but that would be tempered by region.

if selling on a National market, 4x4 is much easier to sell.

myself as an example …. You could not sell me a 4x2 regardless of how “sweet” the deal is. When I search for pickups, I exclude anything that isn’t specifically listed as 4x4. So guys like me won’t even see yours when you go to sell it.

but as I said, there are regions where people who (like you) know they don’t need 4x4 and they will spot it even if I won’t.

I spent 12 years driving 4x2 pickups at work, and I can tell you - without any doubt - that I don’t want to buy one as a daily. Would only be good 6-7 months out of the year, requiring a second vehicle. It where we live.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 PM
1dryfly
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
If Ford has options for a limited slip or e-locker go that route and get a 2 wheel drive.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1dryfly:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:08 AM
ATC_F350
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
If you don't get 4x4 at least try and get an e-locker. A lot of things can cause you to have issues with traction; wet grass, gravel, gravel on asphalt, etc. One nice thing about 4x4 is using low range in some situations.

Quick Reply: Nobody jumped me!