General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Any recommendations for home security cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 10:56 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any recommendations for home security cameras?

I am coming close to the end of my 2 yr contract with Xfinity and will need to get a new home security camera system (so basically a CCTV system). I am looking for recommendations. I am looking for 6 cameras and a DVR with smart phone App capability and the ability to connect to a monitor. The cameras must be 1080 or higher. I am leaning towards 4K. Thanks in advance.

As for my Xfinity Home experience, I HATED IT and I don't recommend this to anyone! The cameras were from Sercomm and there was always a connectivity issue between the monitor and cameras. Adding to this, Xfinity decided that the only way to access your cameras is through your phone. When I subscribed, one selling point was that you could view the cameras live from your laptop. This is no longer the case. Good riddance.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:49 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Several folks in our neighborhood have Arlo cameras. I might be the next one, primarily because of the wireless feature, and I was impressed by some of the footage that was shared.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:14 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,456 Likes on 2,124 Posts
I have Arlo, it is alright but you pay for the cloud storage up to 5 cameras allowed for $10 a month. Battery does not last long so they hook you on options for more money. To work right they are low hanging fruit for vandalism. Am I happy, not really but the other option comes at thousands of dollars which are more secure.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:06 PM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks. I'll check their site.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:25 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 685 Likes on 398 Posts
Simply Safe
Check them out

Old 05-01-2024, 06:10 AM
thendrix
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have an Arlo at our farm driveway to keep up with people coming and going. Mainly to see when feed trucks have been here. We've caught a couple of "intruders" to. Our battery usually lasts about 3 weeks or so but I don't think the camera runs a often as one at a house or carport would. I'm not dissatisfied with the Arlo but I would also look into Simply Safe. They weren't around, or not as prevalent, when we bought our Arlo

Old 05-01-2024, 07:04 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,456 Likes on 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by thendrix
We have an Arlo at our farm driveway to keep up with people coming and going. Mainly to see when feed trucks have been here. We've caught a couple of "intruders" to. Our battery usually lasts about 3 weeks or so but I don't think the camera runs a often as one at a house or carport would. I'm not dissatisfied with the Arlo but I would also look into Simply Safe. They weren't around, or not as prevalent, when we bought our Arlo
I have the Solar charger hooked to mine, ARLO works but as security to catch thieves, it lacks plenty. I also tried another camera that is self contained charging and it is a joke. ARLO helps me keep an eye on the farm also, a wired security system is the best but lacks the economical and versatility that ARLO provides.

Simply Safe is the newer player in the market and I have no idea the system cost or monthly plan service fee. Maybe someone will chime in.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:37 AM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,335 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I use a dedicated 8 camera dvr wired system mainly, also have 4 other Ring cameras including the doorbell cam.

The Ring cams are all battery powered with solar maintainer, haven't had to change or charge any of them in a few years and likely never will. Charge that is, eventually the batteries will lose enough capacity to warrant replacing which is easy.

I like both systems for different reasons, the dedicated is a 1 time hardware purchase. You provide the IT support for networking it so you can use an app remotely.

The Ring system is more user friendly in that respect as all you need to do is follow simple onscreen instructions to connect to your wifi. The Ring system also has a feature where you pay one price for the live monitoring with unlimited camera input. The price for the sub is the same regardless if its 3 cams or 30.

I've tried many different brand name companies to include Arlo, Ring, and a few other I can't remember right off and for the best picture, sound and speed of connecting, Ring wins hands down on all counts. Arlo had a good picture, sound quality was spotty, maybe a defective cam not sure, I tossed it in the trash.

Every different brand has something I didn't like about it. Either video or sound or both sucked and it connected fast, or had great sound, video but takes forever to connect with. The only thing about Ring I wasn't thrilled with is cost as it runs a bit higher than the others however you get what you pay for with them, excellent sound/video and connection time that almost competes with my hardwired system.

My son put a Blink wireless cam system on his grandmother's house and it's decent, good quality Pic and sound, does take a little time to connect but not near as slow as most of the others with exception to Ring.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,223 Posts
i have speco cameras and DVR. hardwired.
1T DVR with 8 camera capability, but only 4 cameras hooked to it. video quality is excellent.
i also have an older 512G DVR and 4 cameras hidden so if someone breaks in and takes the seen DVR, they will still be on video on the hidden system.
you can not step foot on my property without being recorded. i also have full video of the whole block.
when the stores out on the highway get robbed, the very first stop the police make is my house to review the video to see if they crossed the street, or came down it.
4 idiots have been caught in the past 3 years directly due to my cameras catching clear face shots. and that was 4 out of the 5 robberies.

Old 05-01-2024, 03:58 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,335 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i have speco cameras and DVR. hardwired.
1T DVR with 8 camera capability, but only 4 cameras hooked to it. video quality is excellent.
i also have an older 512G DVR and 4 cameras hidden so if someone breaks in and takes the seen DVR, they will still be on video on the hidden system.
you can not step foot on my property without being recorded. i also have full video of the whole block.
when the stores out on the highway get robbed, the very first stop the police make is my house to review the video to see if they crossed the street, or came down it.
4 idiots have been caught in the past 3 years directly due to my cameras catching clear face shots. and that was 4 out of the 5 robberies.
WOW. I think if I was that close to that much criminal action, I'd move. Most exciting thing I catch on my cams is a curious critter from time to time, and these horrible creatures that randomly seem to appear out of no where.

They're difficult to get rid of and sceince has found the best method of removal is to use the "ignore behind locked door" method. Patience will overcome this critters persistence. I think I overheard one of them say something about witnessing some dude named Jove or Jobe or some such person, no idea what they were talking about.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:24 PM
Don Ridley
Tuned
Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts
For simplicity of setup, Ring cameras are hard to beat.

If you are a computer nerd and understand networks, then networked IP cameras are great, versatile and are the best for long term use and upgrade. I have 4 Hikvison 4MP cameras connected to my home network. The surveillance app is Blue Iris and is very common. Storage is on a NAS that can hold as much data as you have terabytes.

Beyond the network familiarity, you need to know how to make CAT5 cables.

All of this is worth it....if you are into it. 😊🫏

Old 05-01-2024, 06:28 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,223 Posts
no crime to speak of here. the problem is the dunkin dognuts out on the highway attracts all kinds of dirtbags from nu yawk, and crack heads from in town. i am about 1/4 mile from there, but they use my street as a getaway from the area once they rob it.
locals stay away from my street and two to each side, at any given time there were 4 unmarked police crown vics and at least 2 marked state police cruisers on the street pretty much all the time unless we were out.
now we are down to only two police cars left as 4 of us retired.