2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Belle Tire Screwed Up Wheels On Brand New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:54 PM
Superdoooty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Belle Tire Screwed Up Wheels On Brand New Truck

Saturday morning I took my brand new truck with 600 miles on it to get new BFGR ko2 tires put on. When I get there to pick it up it was by far one of the sloppiest tire jobs I have ever seen, with tire mounting compound everywhere, all over the wheels and tires... I think to myself, okay no big deal, I supposed I can clean up after them when I get it home.

I get it home and go to clean them up and get a closer look just to find scratches on 2 of my wheels, chipped paint on another one, and one of the hub caps barely hanging on. It appears they choose to be lazy and not to use the proper tools when prying wheel hub cover off...

I immediately give them a call to address the issue, and the assistant manager asked me to bring it up for pictures. I get it there and he was very apologetic and told me that this is completely unacceptable and that he would take corrective action and that they would make things right and I would hear from them first thing Monday morning!

Monday morning comes around, nothing... I wait until 2PM, then I decide to give them a call because it clearly wasn’t their top of mind. The main manager tells me sorry that he hasn’t gotten with me yet and that they would pay to get wheels refinished at a shop of THEIR choice...

It’s seems crazy to me that you bring in a BRAND NEW truck with BRAND NEW wheels and then I leave there with my only option being REFINISHED wheels and that’s their resolution(not to mention who knows the quality of repair you'll actually get?)?!!!

Am I crazy by thinking this is a subpar solution? Has anyone else had this sort of experience? I’m considering small claims court.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-12-2021, 08:13 PM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
Tell tire shop that repainting is not acceptable on a new truck, you want damaged & scratched wheels replaced?
Or a set of aftermarket wheels at their cost.
File a claim with your insurance and have them deal with the tire shop

Old 04-12-2021, 08:15 PM
75Mike
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
No you are not crazy. A tire shop should be ashamed, however. Same thing happened to me with the chrome PVD wheels at a tire shop. He couldn't stop at just one . He had to take the outer edge of chrome off all 4 when they either mount or dismounted.
The tire shop replaced all 4 and I believe the changer lost his job shortly after. Your shop should do the same and hold their feet to the fire until they do.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:20 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts
Going through this now on my vette. Been going back and forth with the claims department at Discount Tire for three months now.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:14 AM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts
I had this happen a couple years ago on a F-450, shop damaged a 2 day old 19.5" front aluminum wheel. I caught it when I was at their shop. They deducted the cost of a new wheel.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,352 Posts
Makes me feel lucky I have a friend in the business. He's done wheels upwards of $8000 a set, flawlessly.

I'm sorry about your luck OP. I would definitely keep pressing the issue with the shop. They have insurance for things like this. If they keep ignoring you, get a price for new wheels from a dealership and send it in along with a letter from a lawyer. If they still brush you off, I'd definitely take them to court. Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I wouldn't accept touched-up wheels on a brand new truck either....

Old 04-13-2021, 05:55 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 959 Likes on 590 Posts
Before spending out of your own pocket for small claims, I'd consider a state agency. In many states it's the attorney general. In my state the DMV handles complaints against licensed motor vehicle repair shops.
I once had $500+ completely refunded for a seat heater repair that didn't take place at a Cadillac dealer by going this route.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:37 AM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Received 928 Likes on 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 75Mike
No you are not crazy. A tire shop should be ashamed, however. Same thing happened to me with the chrome PVD wheels at a tire shop. He couldn't stop at just one . He had to take the outer edge of chrome off all 4 when they either mount or dismounted.
The tire shop replaced all 4 and I believe the changer lost his job shortly after. Your shop should do the same and hold their feet to the fire until they do.
In all fairness most likely it wasn't the techs fault. The PVD wheels are notorious for doing this.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
I got three new wheels when a local shop did that to me. It took some patience though.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:58 AM
MadMaxx84
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here we go again....

Whining and complaining on an Online Forum isn't gonna do anything for the situation.

Why'd you even leave in the first place if you weren't happy with the job, while you were still there?

Go back to the shop and tell them to fix what they screwed up....end of story. That is....if they even will, because, you already left and didn't bring it up to them while you were still there.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM
75Mike
Tuned
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cpobst
In all fairness most likely it wasn't the techs fault. The PVD wheels are notorious for doing this.
I agree, but the tech who mounted them the second time on the new replacements didn't leave a mark. You would have thought after the first wheel,the initial mounter would have stopped and tried something different.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 PM
cpobst
Cargo Master
Received 928 Likes on 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 75Mike
I agree, but the tech who mounted them the second time on the new replacements didn't leave a mark. You would have thought after the first wheel,the initial mounter would have stopped and tried something different.
I am betting the PVD was stuck to the tire and it pulled off when the old ones were being dismounted. Unless their were gouges. We have a tire machine and we've done a few PVD wheels with flakes inside the tire when they were dismounted.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:03 AM
Superdoooty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's called seeking advice from people that have also encountered this situation.... Thank you for everyone that actually provided real world advice, and to you my friend, go fly a kite.

People that come to these forums to just troll, blow my mind. Add value, if not don't say anything at all. It's pretty simple, didn't your mother teach you that when you were a child? Shame on her for how you turned out Tool.

Originally Posted by MadMaxx84
Here we go again....

Whining and complaining on an Online Forum isn't gonna do anything for the situation.

Why'd you even leave in the first place if you weren't happy with the job, while you were still there?

Go back to the shop and tell them to fix what they screwed up....end of story. That is....if they even will, because, you already left and didn't bring it up to them while you were still there.