2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Equalizer WDH need a 3" shank

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 05:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,021 Likes on 2,828 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel13
If I understand how WD works the fact that the 350 has cargo capacity should mean it shouldn't need as much WD as say a 250. I prefer OVERKILL, like buying a winch and using it once, vs needing it once and not having it. I added Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ bags for that reason and its easy to install them on a nice clean vehicle with 1K miles . I really get enough iron in my diet I don't need to ingest it underneath cars anymore. Im also new to this large RV pulling, with our wind and curvy mtn passes out west I want all the security I can get.

Thank You Everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
One of the benefits of a WDH is that some of the tongue weight on the rear axle gets moved from there to the trailer's axles and the front axle of the truck. But the more important (in my opinion) feature is that by putting weight back on the front axle the handling is greatly improved.

Even though my typical tongue weight is 940 lbs, well below the capacity of my receiver hitch, the handling is not fun when the WDH is not properly configured. It took a couple outings for me to figure where I needed my hitch to be set to for pleasant handling.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:15 PM
KCoulter
5th Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryH.
Understood.
What is the rule of thumb here?
When installing/adjusting a WDH you measure wheel well height at the front while unloaded & then loaded WITHOUT the WDH bars installed.
The goal is to at least split the difference in height after the bars are installed...this should re-apply at least 1/2 the weight that was removed from the front axle if done properly.

This link to an install instruction might explain better:
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...ribution-setup

Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 PM
LarryH.
Tuned
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by KCoulter
When installing/adjusting a WDH you measure wheel well height at the front while unloaded & then loaded WITHOUT the WDH bars installed.
The goal is to at least split the difference in height after the bars are installed...this should re-apply at least 1/2 the weight that was removed from the front axle if done properly.

This link to an install instruction might explain better:
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...ribution-setup
Thanks. I will check that out.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
There has been some speculation that the front springs on the Superduty are so stiff that the wheel well height procedure isn't accurate enough. When trying to quantify the effect of the force the WDH puts on the truck's axles, the CAT Scale is thought to be the most effective measurement. Not everyone has a CAT Scale nearby, so the wheel well height procedure is worth trying.

When I tried the wheel well procedure, I wasn't getting any change. While I've had my truck/trailer at the CAT Scale, what really helped me dial it in was driving and tweaking the configuration until the handling was good.

A word of caution: It is possible to over configure a WDH and remove too much weight from the truck's rear axle. You have to work pretty hard to do it though. If you can spin the tires easily (going straight, not turning right/left) the WDH may be over configured. This is especially dangerous when towing in poor traction situations.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:46 PM
LarryH.
Tuned
Originally Posted by HRTKD
There has been some speculation that the front springs on the Superduty are so stiff that the wheel well height procedure isn't accurate enough. When trying to quantify the effect of the force the WDH puts on the truck's axles, the CAT Scale is thought to be the most effective measurement. Not everyone has a CAT Scale nearby, so the wheel well height procedure is worth trying.

When I tried the wheel well procedure, I wasn't getting any change. While I've had my truck/trailer at the CAT Scale, what really helped me dial it in was driving and tweaking the configuration until the handling was good.

A word of caution: It is possible to over configure a WDH and remove too much weight from the truck's rear axle. You have to work pretty hard to do it though. If you can spin the tires easily (going straight, not turning right/left) the WDH may be over configured. This is especially dangerous when towing in poor traction situations.
Good post.

My rig has been described as a butterfly on an elephants ***.
So I will need to do some shake down before I add WDH or any truck mods.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:54 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by LarryH.
Good post.

My rig has been described as a butterfly on an elephants ***.
So I will need to do some shake down before I add WDH or any truck mods.
LOL! My toy hauler outweighs my F-350, so I have to work a little harder to get what I call "pleasant handling". Just for giggles, I tried towing with just a plain ball, no WDH or sway control. I never got over 55 MPH and with a slight breeze I could tell it was not going to work. Mine being a toy hauler, it's taller than most travel trailers and it catches every breeze.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 PM
LarryH.
Tuned
Originally Posted by HRTKD
LOL! My toy hauler outweighs my F-350, so I have to work a little harder to get what I call "pleasant handling". Just for giggles, I tried towing with just a plain ball, no WDH or sway control. I never got over 55 MPH and with a slight breeze I could tell it was not going to work. Mine being a toy hauler, it's taller than most travel trailers and it catches every breeze.
I ordered the camper package that includes rear auxiliary springs, rear anti sway bar, and heavy service front springs.
It will be interesting to see how the truck reacts to the camper.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:32 PM
NVFlyAngler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squirrel13
We will be getting our Outdoors RV 260RLS Titanium in June. Even though I have the 350 and bags I wanted the security of a WDH. With the crazy wind out here in CO and the curvy mountain roads its peace of mind for us. I called Equalizer today and their 3" shank is not supposed to be released anytime soon. They are so far behind on regular products after a metal shortage. My question is what other 3" shank products would be compatible with the Equalizer 12, 14, and 16K WDH? I believe these are called trunion style? Yes I have the reducers but I'm not a fan of them. Sure it will cost me some $ but what is out there.
I called Equal-i-zer today with the exact same question. Sounds like the 3" shank may be available sometime this year. In our case, the timing is OK; we're hoping to get into an Outdoors RV 26KVS in Q1 of 2022.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:13 PM
Chingon
Cross-Country
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
I pulled my buddy's new 3500lb 16' Wolf Pup camper with my 21 F350 CCLB 6.7 with just a ball hitch (no sway or WDH). Obviously my truck is more than enough, however I could feel it bucking quite a bit over bumps. I think a WDH, even with minimal tension, would serve to damping some of that bucking experience over bumps.

My takeaway is that a WDH will still pull more comfortably than a straight ball hitch (even with sway control), even if you don't NEED the weight distribution...

Old 04-16-2021, 07:27 AM
Gazoo2010
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by levimorris85
I have the 3'' bullet proof hitch and the WD head as you listed. I absolutely love it. It does push the trailer back a few inches off the bumper but it actually gave me enough room to drop the tailgate without hitting the jack. The hitch itself is a chunk of steel. Very heavy duty and very well built. I leave it in the truck all the time and when i need/want the camper, i pull the 2 pins holding the regular ***** and pin in the WD head. Very easy to change out and I leave the trailer head in the camper so its always there. I ordered the 8'' drop (2019 F-350 Fx4 with the camper package) and would say that the 6" drop is most likely all that's needed. I hate the reducers and after a 500 mile trip using them the factory pin was bent and thats when I said no more. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer what i know about it.
Currently I have an equalizer hitch and 1000 bars for my Jayco Jayfeather 25BH that came with the trailer. Don't mind the hitch and WD setup but hate the reducer. Recently, my wife bought me the bulletproof for my birthday (2.5 inch shank for my F350) and I love it. It is so easy to switch out the ***** for my other trailers without having to change the hitch all the time. It just makes sense for me to move the camper WD setup to the bulletproof platform.

What Ball and Bar setup are you using with the Bulletproof hitch?

Thx