2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

WHICH HITCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:51 AM
PhilKash
Mountain Pass
Received 77 Likes on 20 Posts
WHICH HITCH

THE PLAN -
Order 2022 XLT F-350 6.7 DIESEL, CREW CAB, SRW, SHORT BED

Figure out WHICH HITCH - Planning on a 20K SLIDER for the FORD PUCK
Narrowed it down to a few options - Which one?
1. B&W COMPANION
2. PULLRITE SUPERGLIDE
3. CURT A20

ANY OTHERS?

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES?

Old 04-12-2021, 09:24 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've got the Demco Highjacker Autoslide, which is a competitor to the Pullrite Superglide. It's also Ford Puck compatible, and functions the same way, by trapping the kingpin and forcing the hitch head to rotate, thereby engaging a set of gearing and a rack system to slide the hitch head back as it turns. The biggest difference is in the way it captures the kingpin, the Pullrite requires a capture plate to be installed on the kingpin, the Demco does not and instead sandwiches the kingpin.

I've got the 18K version (which is overkill for my less than 9k fiver) but they have a 21K version available: https://www.etrailer.com/p-DM8550038.html

Edit: here's a couple of pics of my Demco to show the difference in how it captures the kingpin:

Old 04-12-2021, 09:30 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,731 Likes on 1,676 Posts
Well, I do “KNOW” that B&W is made in USA, and a very well built unit.
The others, I know nothing about.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:37 AM
CP Dubbs
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The plan needs to be a long bed, puck system, and no slider.
B&W Companion for the win.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 AM
4by4ord
More Turbo
Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts
I like my B&W non slider and I definitely wouldn't trade it for a slider. I know if I had a manual slider I would never bother to use it. I think either get a regular hitch, or, if you think you need a slider go to an auto slide. Some trailers have a Reese Revolution pin box. With the Revolution a slider is not necessary in order to turn your truck 90 degrees to the trailer.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:48 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 366 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by CP Dubbs

My dad went with the B&W Turnover ball and a Companion back before the puck system came out on his '08, and that is by far the best-constructed hitch I've ever come across. Regardless of LB or SB in my next truck, I'm likely going to go this route.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:08 PM
PhilKash
Mountain Pass
Thanks everyone for your input.
I love this forum.

I can't go Long Bed. My garage isn't deep enough.
I'm leaning toward B&W Companion for the Ford Puck system.

In case anyone is interested, the way I got my hitch into my 2011 F250 was with a hoist system I made.
I got two 2x6's, put them on edge, put blocks in between to separate them about 3 inches. I put a heavy bolt through the 2x6's so I could hook a hoist onto it.
Put 2 A ladders , one on either side of the truck bed. Moved the truck forward. I put the 2x6 construction on the tops of the ladders.....Raised the hitch. Moved the truck back between the ladders. Voila.... a hoist system.
Had to make wood blocks for the tops of the ladders to raise it high enough, but it works great.

Phil

Old 04-12-2021, 04:41 PM
CP Dubbs
Senior User
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilKash
Thanks everyone for your input.
I love this forum.

I can't go Long Bed. My garage isn't deep enough.
I'm leaning toward B&W Companion for the Ford Puck system.

Phil
Short bed and fifth wheels can work out, depending on how the nose is made. You'll want to build the Companion with the verticals toward the back, moving the receiver rear. You'll like the Companion. Pull two pins, the receiver lifts off, about 70 pounds. Then rotate the 4 puck locks, and lift the base, about 75 pounds. I've seen folks flip all 4 puck locks and use the landing gear to lift the hitch out of the pucks, leaving it attached to the kingpin, then drive the truck out from underneath. Easy to do that, getting lined up perfect to drop back in is another thing entirely.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:48 PM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Short Box. Looked at both the Demco and Pullrite. Didn`t want a non slider. I went with the Pullrite 2914 20k. Decided on the 2914 and not the 2714. The 2914 is 18.5 inches high in the bed (whereas the 2714 is 1 inch lower) I needed the extra clearance over the bed rails. It is being installed next week.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:56 AM
Baja Fog
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

B&W 25K

I'm pulling a Grand Design 295RL 11K Fifth Wheel that uses their Turning Point pinbox. I can get 90 degrees without a slider. I've pulled it with the Turning Point and also with that function locked out so it pulls like a regular non slider 5th wheel. Both work fine and so far I've not needed the extra turning capability. In fact, I left my flip back bed cover on this last trip and it didn't get in the way on any of the turns I needed to make getting to and getting parked at the campground. I flip it back 2/3 and let the last 1/3 hide my generator in the bed.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:40 AM
PhilKash
Mountain Pass

MAYBE I DON'T EVEN NEED A SLIDER IN AN F350 SHORT BED.
MY 318SAB COUGAR HAS A PRETTY SEVERE CUTAWAY ON THE SIDES OF THE FRONT CAP.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 AM
PhilKash
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Baja Fog

B&W 25K

I'm pulling a Grand Design 295RL 11K Fifth Wheel that uses their Turning Point pinbox. I can get 90 degrees without a slider. I've pulled it with the Turning Point and also with that function locked out so it pulls like a regular non slider 5th wheel. Both work fine and so far I've not needed the extra turning capability. In fact, I left my flip back bed cover on this last trip and it didn't get in the way on any of the turns I needed to make getting to and getting parked at the campground. I flip it back 2/3 and let the last 1/3 hide my generator in the bed.
i LOVE the idea of the Turning Point pinbox. My RV is old, a 2011. Maybe my next RV will have the Turning Point pinbox.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:56 AM
Baja Fog
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
@PhilKash Naw, you don't need no stinkin' slider.

Keep in mind the Turning Point pinbox requires maintenance like your trailers axel hubs; clean and lube bearing annually.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilKash
i LOVE the idea of the Turning Point pinbox. My RV is old, a 2011. Maybe my next RV will have the Turning Point pinbox.
There's pros and cons to the turning point, revolution, sidewinder, orbital, etc... pinboxes. First off, they move the pivot point behind the rear axle, which means trailer sway can now introduce some lever action on the truck, like a bumper pull. Not to the same extent, but still, some. Secondly, as I learned recently from another thread on here, maintenance can be problematic for some of them. That one thread in particular lead me to a youtube video that showed the person basically had to completely remove the pinbox in order to grease the turning point's bearings.

Even with those cons, I still want one on my next rig. With my Demco I haven't pulled the hitch out of the bed since the day it was installed. There's been plenty of occasions where I could really have used it out of the way, but at 300 lbs, I'm not pulling it out. I've even had to go borrow other people's trucks, despite owning one myself, to move stuff because the Demco's in the way. So my next RV is going to have some kind of rotating pinbox, and a lighter, standard hitch I can pull out myself.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:36 PM
NDanecker
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CP Dubbs

After much research this is the setup I went with. eTrailer had best price with free shipping. Can't beat it.

Originally I wanted to swap out the box with a Reese Gooseneck box but my RV dealer (Grand Design) said they may or may not honor your warranty if something fails. On a new rig I didn't want to take the chance. Also, he sells the Reese Goosebox for $2200 where I could get it from eTrailer for $1430. Issue is they won't install what they don't sell and I need something to pull the RV home when it comes in, so back to the best made fifth wheel hitch available (IMO). I'm sure others will get the job done but the B&W is stoutly designed and manufactured.

Quick Reply: WHICH HITCH