1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Jaguar front suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:36 PM
Gerry204
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar front suspension install

Hey guys, a while back I was inquiring about a front suspension and what aftermarket companies to go with. I got a bunch of input but the general consensus was a Jaguar independent front suspension from a XJS. I finally got ahold of one, cost me more than I wanted to pay for a used front suspension but it’s still a fraction of what I would have paid with TCI. It’s going to need new bushings and ball joint. Pretty much everything that can wear out.

So my first question is, what company sells a while rebuild kit for these setups? Figured it would probably be cheapest as a kit.

second question is mounting it to the frame. What are most people doing with mounting? Welding to the frame or Making brackets to be able to bolt onto the frame? I found this article that was extremely helpful except this was on a later model truck.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...o-f100.571296/

I’ve started with cutting off what I don’t need from example from that article but before I go too crazy with cutting off something I may need I figured I’d ask the experts here.

Here are some pictures

Old 03-09-2021, 08:02 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Congrats on your find. The XJS springs are the stiffest XJ springs. I am not aware of a kit but perhaps someone will come along with a suggestion. I am a fan of soft mounting the subframe but others have welded them in. I did box the frame rails from the firewall forward. I do not see the unique ujoint which you will want for a soft mount.
The ride and handling of the truck with the the Jag IFS is a different world than the stock beam front axle.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM
Gerry204
New User
Originally Posted by 49willard
Congrats on your find. The XJS springs are the stiffest XJ springs. I am not aware of a kit but perhaps someone will come along with a suggestion. I am a fan of soft mounting the subframe but others have welded them in. I did box the frame rails from the firewall forward. I do not see the unique ujoint which you will want for a soft mount.
The ride and handling of the truck with the the Jag IFS is a different world than the stock beam front axle.
I’m aware the v12 springs will be a little too stiff for my build. 5.0L 6r80, im in the process of finding xj6 coils to swap over.

Sorry, what unique u-joint are you referring to?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:31 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Gerry
The first decision you need to make is whether you want to soft mount the IFS or weld it in. Two totally different methods of IFS install.

You may wish to change the front springs to XJ6 springs. The XJS and XJ12 springs are stiff. I soft mounted the Jag IFS in my 51 F1 and the brackets were easy to make thanks to Bill (49 Willard). I used an IFS from a from an XJ12 and had to change the springs to XJ6 springs. Actually, I bought lowered springs from Australia which gave me the ride height I was looking for (a little lower than most).

If you soft mount the IFS you will need the intermediate steering shaft Z joint as the soft mount allows the IFS to move a little.

Let us know if you decide to soft mount or weld in the IFS and we can go from there.
Hope this helps
Dan

Old 03-09-2021, 08:37 PM
Gerry204
New User
Thanks for the info. I will be going with xj6 springs and wouldn’t mind knowing the site where you ordered lowering coils from.
I also did mange to get the z steering shaft.
so I think soft mounting will be the route I’m leaning towards

Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Bought my lowered front springs through King Springs.
Good quality.

Here are photos of the brackets I made.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,103 Likes on 819 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about the Jag front end installation but am curious what different parts would be needed if the front end is welded or bolted on. Wouldn't everything be in the same location? I don't know, just curious because I've heard the Jag from end being used on many different types of cars and trucks. I have a '37 Buick, I've read where this could be used on that car. Just for kicks looked on my local CL tonight and their a XJS not far from me for $1400. By the time you'd sell the engine and other parts you'd get the front end for pretty close to nothing.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:37 PM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
If you welded the Jag IFS into the frame,o less parts are required. No brackets to make. As far as the Jag engine and trans are concerned - if you find a buyer - great - in my case the body and engine/Trans went to scrap.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Gerry204
New User
So I clearly got way to ahead of myself from that other article about cutting off unnecessary brackets on the subframe and screwed myself. I cut off the rear mount for my subframe mounts. Looks like I’m welding it in. I should’ve just waited until I knew what I was doing. Rookie mistake.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:50 AM
burnettd01
Laughing Gas
Gerry
The rear mounts are basically flat but the area of the frame that the mount bolts to is at a slight angle. So, I made a wedge (out of steel) that fit at an angle that matches the bottom of the frame but is flat against the mount.

Essentially, I took up the slack or the difference between the mount and the frame. Its not much - about an 1/8 of an inch to 1/4. So, basically, it's a shim.

Hope this helps
Dan

Old 03-10-2021, 05:07 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Gerry,
Dan has given you good info and excellent pictures. Glad that you have the unique u joint/Z joint. No matter what installation method you choose, you will need to fabricate upper shock mounts. They are visible in Dan's last picture. Mine are like Dan's with the exception that I welded mine to the frame rail. Either way is good. When mounting the shock mount to the frame rail take care to not cover the Vin stamped on the passenger side frame rail.
Welding the rear mount brackets back onto the Jag crossmember should be an easy fix.
Note that it is important that the upper flat surface of the jag crossmember should be level front to back with a fully built truck. I did not drill to mount the front brackets to the frame rails that you will fabricate until the truck was fully assembled. Having the crossmember level is what sets the entire front end to correctly set alignment. The Jag IFS fits, particularly the Bonusbuilt trucks, like it was made for it.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Garry204: check my youtube here for my install of the XJ6:

Old 03-10-2021, 07:40 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,103 Likes on 819 Posts
Just thought I'd post this for the heck of it for future reference of what kind a Jag to look for.

I was mistaken, the seller is asking $1950 for it but he's a car dealer and probably take less just to get rid of it.

Here's another one being parted out by a local scrap yard.

is either one of these or both good candidates?

Old 03-10-2021, 08:39 AM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Just thought I'd post this for the heck of it for future reference of what kind a Jag to look for.

I was mistaken, the seller is asking $1950 for it but he's a car dealer and probably take less just to get rid of it.

Here's another one being parted out by a local scrap yard.

is either one of these or both good candidates?
i used a 1987 xj6 series3 here is a pic looks like the last one of your pic

i paid $425 for it sold the engine and trans for125
and get both fuel filler caps they work great on the fender of my F1

Old 07-26-2022, 06:08 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
I really like how you did those brackets, Dan for the Jag front mount.

Quick Reply: Jaguar front suspension install