Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
March 2021 Chat Thread

Hey everyone!!
Sorry I'm so late making a new thread.
A new month and finally getting a little warmer. I am sure we will get one more blast of cold air before winter finally leaves for good. I have been getting 8 to 9 hours of overtime during the week and I am working overtime again tomorrow. Strange to have this much work during the winter time. I am going to really need the down time when our vacation time comes up.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Adam Racing
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here, I've been as busy as I can be. I''m still learning all I can about these newer model trucks. Some thing that I never considered putting on one is an oil separator catch can. Apparently it really helps with power, fuel economy, and reduces carbon buildup. I've already seen some other questionable things under the hood. My most recent issue is I have no way of removing a tire from the truck. Apparently when the new lugs nuts and studs were bought and put on these after market rims, they used a thin wall socket. I hope they didn't buy the OEM nuts that Ford uses, cause those lug nuts are two piece and the outer piece will expand 0.5 mm.

At least I found this out at home and not on the side of the road. I even had a racing friend that owns a mechanic shop hook his computer up to my truck. It threw up several codes. We think the codes may be linked to the after market radio installed by so called professionals at a time. My only regret is not having this truck inspected by a professional before buying. Even though I was getting a good deal, I may have been able to get a better deal with more knowledge about the truck. From now on, before spending over 10k on a used vehicle, I'm going to pay to have it inspected first. I paid 12K for a 16K truck, so I have a little room to moan lol.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:33 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
I have been working 50 to 55 hrs per week. I am not working this Saturday.
Last Friday I blew a tire on the Benz coming home from work. No lug wrench and the doughnut spare was flat because the valve stem was broken. I wish my son in-law would have told me. The spare takes a smaller valve stem than a normal car so I had to order one. I installed the valve stem yesterday and finally got my car off the side of the highway. The tire went flat because the rim is cracked, it has been repaired once already. So I ordered a new tire and a new rim. Half of my extra pay went to fix the dang car.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:29 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hours got cut at work........................ again

once my wedding is over, resumes are flying out the door.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:43 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
On Friday they asked if I was working today. I told them my wife said I was not working today. My boss said good because his wife felt the same way. I will work next Saturday.
Checked the fuel pressure in the Escalade and right at 60 psi, no check engine light. I did put on a new throttle body but not sure if that fixed the issue. I am going to have to drive it and then after about 30 minutes it starts to act up. I think we are going to just buy the mom in-law something else. She does not need a ESV Escalade and I have no idea why it was dying.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:05 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my moms been in town for the last 2 weeks. Shes with a friend at a lakehouse till tonight or tomorrow. Then she flys back to GA tuesday. Then my sisters fly in thursday for my fiances bachelorette party. They leave from galveston sunday night. Then my birthday is here, then people start flooding in for the wedding. Im already stressed the **** out.

But I did get a side job through a coworker. Insurance repair on his crew f150. So I just need to stay busy and off the booze for the next month April 17th cant get here fast enough and get it over with

Old 03-18-2021, 05:09 AM
Adam Racing
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank goodness the winds hadn't got up like they were forecasting. Lots of rain here but still have power and all. I've finally found an oil seperator catch can system I like for my truck. It's simple to hook up and uses the factory connections. So none of this drilling holes into my turbo lines. I just have to run 2 catch cans. 1 for the twin turbos and 1 for the PCV.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:41 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Still working 10 hour shifts at work. Decided to skip going in today since I worked my butt of putting an engine in an excavator this week. I have plenty I need to do around the house anyway.
I have water in the basement from all the rain but nothing more than that thank goodness.
You will make it thru the wedding craziness Jacob.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:52 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok I am tired of the storms and rain. No damage thank goodness but it did flood over my driveway.
We finally went back to 8 hour days unless you are working on any of the 2 major customers we have. Of course all the stuff they have been giving me belongs to one of them. It's OK it just pads the savings account. My boss asked me what level tech I was, I told him a 3 and he said oh heck no, You are doing at least a 4 and 5 level tech stuff. We will work on getting you a level increase.
Ended up buying the mom in-law a new mower last week and I just installed a new fuel pump and throttle body on her Caddy. I am pretty sure the fuel pump was dying. I took it for a drive after installing the new fuel pump and it drove great and no more dying after it got hot.