Retrax Pro mx, Pullrite superglide 2914, 2020 F250 CCSB , 150 Series Refl combination

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:32 AM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Retrax Pro mx, Pullrite superglide 2914, 2020 F250 CCSB , 150 Series Refl combination

Hi everyone, Looking at this combination for bed clearance and pin box contact points ANYWHERE. I will have (in a couple of weeks) a 2021 F250 CC Short Box and the Grand Design 150 Series 5th Wheel. I would like it to include the Retrax Pro Mx and the Pullrite superglide 2914, Please let me know if you have this combination. The Turning Point pin box will be locked out because I am using the Pullrite slider hitch. I have read The Turning Point Pin box is not replaceable with an extendable fixed pin box.. I am planning on the Pullriite 2914 because it is 18.5 inches high in the bed (2714 is 17.5 inches) and the new truck will be 22 inches high approximately in the box.

The Retrax pro mx is 12- 13 inches into the box from the back window. It is 1 1/2 inches above the bed rail and almost 2 inches in to the bed on both sides for the rails.

My questions are.

1- does anyone have this combination or close to it?
2- does the Pullrite head come close to hitting the retrax canister or cover, when retracted back to straight on this short bed truck? How far is it away?
3. does the turning point trailair pin box clear the top of the bed with the extra 1 1/2 inches thickness of Retrax side rails? how much?
4. is the turning point trailair pin box upward angle high enough that it does not come close to the retrax side rails that are 2" inside the bed of the truck on both sides?

Thank you, in advance for your comments
Al

Old 02-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't have the Retrax or the Pullright, but here's a shot of my Bakflip MX4 and Demco Hitchhicker:

Folded for hitching, travel.

I believe the pullrite is around the same configuration as my Demco. Basically, the majority of the time, the pin will sit just slightly forward of the rear axle. And when it autoslides, it slides back behind the rear axle.

But personally, if I had a turning point capable pin, I'd be using that over the autoslide. I hate my autoslide. It weighs 300 lbs, and it's big and bulky in the bed of the truck:

A turning point kingpin would allow me the benefit of:

1) Having a lighter fixed hitch in the bed that's actually removable.
2) Better clearance as the Demco only moves the pivot point back 18" or so and the Reese Revolutions (and I assume the turning point) move it back 22".
3) Because of height issues, my kingpin contacts my rails after about 45% The turning point would be fixed directly behind the tailgate so I wouldn't ever have that issue and would be able to make tighter turns when necessary.
4) I'd have more in the bed of the truck when necessary even with the hitch still in the truck.

Just some things to consider.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:50 AM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kaadk
I don't have the Retrax or the Pullright, but here's a shot of my Bakflip MX4 and Demco Hitchhicker:

Folded for hitching, travel.

I believe the pullrite is around the same configuration as my Demco. Basically, the majority of the time, the pin will sit just slightly forward of the rear axle. And when it autoslides, it slides back behind the rear axle.

But personally, if I had a turning point capable pin, I'd be using that over the autoslide. I hate my autoslide. It weighs 300 lbs, and it's big and bulky in the bed of the truck:

A turning point kingpin would allow me the benefit of:

1) Having a lighter fixed hitch in the bed that's actually removable.
2) Better clearance as the Demco only moves the pivot point back 18" or so and the Reese Revolutions (and I assume the turning point) move it back 22".
3) Because of height issues, my kingpin contacts my rails after about 45% The turning point would be fixed directly behind the tailgate so I wouldn't ever have that issue and would be able to make tighter turns when necessary.
4) I'd have more in the bed of the truck when necessary even with the hitch still in the truck.

Just some things to consider.
Thanks Kaadk. I also have the MX4 right now but here is the issues I am finding on the Grand Design Forum that the Pullrite Slider contacts the MX4 and pushes it back into the window when hooking up. I see your Demco does not appear to even get close to the MX4. That is very appealing. I need to research more to find out why there is such a big difference behind the Demco slider to the MX4 as compared to the Pullrite. Do you have the ford OEM pucks?

Also, there are issues with the Turning Point. You have to take it down to lubricate the bearings regularly. It weights a lot and you have to support it when taking the bolts off.. Also there are other issues you can find on that website and people are just leaving it as a regular pin box instead of a rotating one. That is why I am sticking with the auto sliders.

Re: kingpin contacting the tailgate at 45 degrees. I noticed you have a 2018 F250. I am switching trucks to a 2021 F250 from a 2017 because they changed the rear block back to a 2 inch from a 3.5 inch which would give move clearance at the tailgate. The ford dealership wouldn`t change the block so I changed the truck instead. Gave me a good deal on trade in.

Do you know why there is a bigger gap from the Demco slider to the Bakflip mx4, as compared to the Pullrite slider to the Bakflip MX4?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2021, 03:28 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Good to know about the bearings. Something I'd have to keep in mind if I ever switch. It's not something I had come accross before. I would have thought they would have provided some zerks or something to avoid having to completely dismantle it.

As far as the MX4, I have 4 panel version for the 6.75 box. I believe the 6.5 version for the F150 is a three panel (but don't quote me on that) so those panels are bigger and would come closer to the hitch. Either way, I thought you were looking at the Retrax? That can will be even skinnier than my panels on my MX4 so you should be fine with it.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:33 PM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
There is some youtube videos on lubricating the turning point. Not something I want to do. I would rather lube the Demco or Pullrite.

Anyway yes I would rather use my old MX4 seeing that its paid for and the retrax is expensive. I have the for the Ford CCSB 6.75 version which is the 3 panel flip then the 4th is up against the window. If that what you have or do you have 4 panel flip and the 5th up against the window?

Thanks Kaadk

Old 02-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
I also have a CCSB 6.75 bed. I have the 4 panel version as in, when looking at the cover, there’s 4 panels:

Bakflip cover over hitch.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:51 AM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Thanks Kaadk for the picture. I have the exact same one. So I have a member on the Grand Design 5th wheel hitching forum sent me pictures of the same MX4 cover being hit with the Pullrite Slider and your picture with the Demco far from the cover. Wow, I may switch to the Demco. Is it possible to measure, in your first picture, the distance from the back of the hitch head to the inside edge of the bed below the back window. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much Kaadk

Old 02-13-2021, 09:56 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Not something I can easily get to right now, the truck’s sitting under a couple of inches of snow, and more falling as I type. I’ve been pulling these out photos out of storage so here’s a few more that might help visualize it:

I can fit a row of firewood between the end of the bed and the base of the hitch. The head sits a bit back from the base so I’d probably ballpark about 20”. Might be wrong so let’s say should be a minimum of 18” at worse case?

If the weather turns I’ll see if I can get out there, but no promises on anytime soon.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:58 AM
networkit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2018 6.7 F350 SRW short bed with Pull rite Superglide 20k & Retrax MX Power and pulling a 2021 Grand Design 31MB.. I realize different setup but in my case, 0 issues all the way around. From bed rail height to hitch distance from retrax canister etc.

Originally Posted by zingf82a
Hi everyone, Looking at this combination for bed clearance and pin box contact points ANYWHERE. I will have (in a couple of weeks) a 2021 F250 CC Short Box and the Grand Design 150 Series 5th Wheel. I would like it to include the Retrax Pro Mx and the Pullrite superglide 2914, Please let me know if you have this combination. The Turning Point pin box will be locked out because I am using the Pullrite slider hitch. I have read The Turning Point Pin box is not replaceable with an extendable fixed pin box.. I am planning on the Pullriite 2914 because it is 18.5 inches high in the bed (2714 is 17.5 inches) and the new truck will be 22 inches high approximately in the box.

The Retrax pro mx is 12- 13 inches into the box from the back window. It is 1 1/2 inches above the bed rail and almost 2 inches in to the bed on both sides for the rails.

My questions are.

1- does anyone have this combination or close to it?
2- does the Pullrite head come close to hitting the retrax canister or cover, when retracted back to straight on this short bed truck? How far is it away?
3. does the turning point trailair pin box clear the top of the bed with the extra 1 1/2 inches thickness of Retrax side rails? how much?
4. is the turning point trailair pin box upward angle high enough that it does not come close to the retrax side rails that are 2" inside the bed of the truck on both sides?

Thank you, in advance for your comments
Al

Old 02-13-2021, 11:11 AM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Kaadk
Not something I can easily get to right now, the truck’s sitting under a couple of inches of snow, and more falling as I type. I’ve been pulling these out photos out of storage so here’s a few more that might help visualize it:

I can fit a row of firewood between the end of the bed and the base of the hitch. The head sits a bit back from the base so I’d probably ballpark about 20”. Might be wrong so let’s say should be a minimum of 18” at worse case?

If the weather turns I’ll see if I can get out there, but no promises on anytime soon.
Thats okay don`t worry about it. I can see from your pictures the amount of clearance is significant. I am going to call Pullrite on Monday and ask them why there would be a difference from the tailgate to the end of hitch, for the Ford short box, between Demco and Pullrite. I will let you know their answer.. I am sure someone must have asked this question or something simalar before. Thanks Kaadk

Old 02-13-2021, 11:45 AM
sneil
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
While I don't have the pull rite hitch I did have a 2016 CCSB with a Retrax Pro cover. I found there was plenty of clearance between the hitch and the Retrax canister as well as the side rails when making a sharp turn. I've since sold the 2016 so I can't really take any additional measurements.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 PM
BigBlue6.2
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 CCSB F250, Pullrite 2300 superglide, Reflection 150 series 290BH with the turning point pinbox locked in place. BUT, different bed cover, it's a Gator soft tri-fold. Not the greatest angle, but I think I'm going to have plenty of clearance (haven't actually towed with it, just got the cover a few weeks ago). When I'm home from work tomorrow I can get a picture of the hitch head in relation to the folded up cover.

The cover does completely block my view of the hitch head when hooking up. I put a piece of white tape centered on the cover and the pinbox and line them up in my mirror. I did several practice hookups and it seemed to work well enough as long as I'm careful

Old 02-17-2021, 07:30 PM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BigBlue6.2
2018 CCSB F250, Pullrite 2300 superglide, Reflection 150 series 290BH with the turning point pinbox locked in place. BUT, different bed cover, it's a Gator soft tri-fold. Not the greatest angle, but I think I'm going to have plenty of clearance (haven't actually towed with it, just got the cover a few weeks ago). When I'm home from work tomorrow I can get a picture of the hitch head in relation to the folded up cover.

The cover does completely block my view of the hitch head when hooking up. I put a piece of white tape centered on the cover and the pinbox and line them up in my mirror. I did several practice hookups and it seemed to work well enough as long as I'm careful
Thank you big blue. very close to my anticipated arrangement. If you could measure the distance from the window to the far edge of your folded tonneau cover at the white tape I would greatly appreciate it. Also when making a 90 degree turn does your pin box hit your tonneau cover. If not how much clearance do you think you have for the pin box going over the tonneau cover thanks Al

Old 02-18-2021, 09:17 AM
BigBlue6.2
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Since the autoslider moves back away from the cab I'm confident the pinbox will not touch the cover at all. Edge of the folded cover is 31" from the glass, front of the hitch head is 33"

The farther I turn the farther it gets from the cover. And before anyone asks, no, the generator does not stay in this spot

Old 02-18-2021, 01:35 PM
zingf82a
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BigBlue6.2
Since the autoslider moves back away from the cab I'm confident the pinbox will not touch the cover at all. Edge of the folded cover is 31" from the glass, front of the hitch head is 33"

The farther I turn the farther it gets from the cover. And before anyone asks, no, the generator does not stay in this spot
thank you very much Big Blue. That`s the measurements I need. Good Pictures!

Quick Reply: Retrax Pro mx, Pullrite superglide 2914, 2020 F250 CCSB , 150 Series Refl combination