1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rational reasons for the gasser....(why buy a diesel, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Brons2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rational reasons for the gasser....(why buy a diesel, part 2)

OK, I hope this is more rational than the other thread. 95_250460, don't post here please.

My F150 will be paid off late next year and I am thinking I want a bigger truck. However, if I get an SD, I will probably go for the V10. (Well, at least assuming I get another Ford) Here's why.

1. I don't pull anything, except for my jet ski. My old nissan frontier pulls that just fine, so don't need a diesel for that.

2. I live in a quiet residential neighborhood, in town. Most of my neighbors have small children. I tend to keep odd hours, which complicates the problem. My neighbors would kill me if I was coming in and out at 11pm-2am with a loud clattering diesel.

3. Diesel is not so readily available around here, at least in my part of town. I'm guessing because it's quite urban and most people have gas cars/trucks. One of the stations down on the corner has "auto diesel" and it's 20 cents a gallon more than regular unleaded. To get the cheap diesel you all brag about, I would have to drive out to the interstate, which is 7 miles one way. Who wants to drive that far just to fill up? Even at that, I have not seen a station where diesel is cheaper than regular unleaded.

4. The upfront cost of the diesel. I was just doing a cars direct search for new V10's and it looks like I can pick up an XLT CC 4x4 for about $28-29K. The diesel option adds $5000. I drive about 15-18K miles a year. I imagine the gasser will get 3-4 mpg worse. Let's be even more optimistic, let's say the diesel gets 18 and the gasser 13. (I do mostly freeway commuting at 65-70 mph). At 1.50 a gallon assuming 18,000 miles a year, the diesel will cost me 1500 in fuel. The gasser will cost 2048. At that rate, it will take me 10 years to recoup my investment. I am likely to want a new truck long before that.

5. I think I would like the driving experience of the gas engine better. I would be getting a 6 speed, and I like running it through the gears occasionally. Not that I'm a drag racer or anything. The diesel, while having powerful torque, has a narrower power band.

6. I won't touch the 6.0 diesel until at least the 2006 MY. Too many problems. It would have to be a used 7.3 if I did go that route. Or maybe a Cummins. I had a Dodge 4x4 before my 150 and it was a great truck, although the mileage on the 360 is terrible. But I think all in all I reallly want a gas truck.

I don't doubt that for many of you that are using your truck for WORK, that the diesel is the right choice. This truck would be pure vanity for me though. Given that, I think the gasser is what I want.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:25 AM
gburkett
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if you don't want a deisel then don't get. Quit coming to this site and giving us YOUR reasons. We like our PSD's. Sounds like you just want to come to our site and make trouble. IMHO

Old 10-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Brons2
Senior User
Originally posted by gburkett
So if you don't want a deisel then don't get. Quit coming to this site and giving us YOUR reasons. We like our PSD's. Sounds like you just want to come to our site and make trouble. IMHO
A little defensive are we?

Just trying to discuss the topic at hand. You can try to talk me out of the gasser, I'll listen to you. I'm not dead set either way. I just gave the reasons why I am leaning towards the gas engine. There may be reasons that I didn't list to go for the diesel, and I'd love to hear them.

One of which that I thought of that is in favor of the diesel is depreciation. Even though the gas is cheaper up front, it depreciates faster than does the diesel, relative to the price of each. Also I believe the diesel has a much longer warranty. Points to consider, certainly.

Old 10-24-2003, 05:39 PM
philn
Tuned
Something to consider....When I bought my '02 F-250 I was told by several folks to stay very clear of the V10 due to it's love for gasoline. I haven't had first hand conversations with anyone that actually owns one (V10) but I was told that they were not all that mechanically reliable as well. We have one V10 in our fleet of utility trucks in the Fire Dept. and the shop wishes they had gone with the PSD. Not sure why? Mechanics are so shy!

You make some good arguments for the gas engine. My neighbor made a comment to my wife the other day about hearing my truck start up at 5AM! I can honestly say that the increased noise is the only thing that I don't like about mine, but I'm getting over it. Love it otherwise!

Old 10-24-2003, 06:01 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You're inner macho man is screaming POWER STROKE or you wouldn't have come here for us to make the decision for you.

MAN UP AND BUY THE POWER STROKE!!
WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT WHAT THE NEIGHBORS THINK!
BE THE ENVY OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!

Old 10-24-2003, 06:03 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Brons2
You can try to talk me out of the gasser, I'll listen to you. I'm not dead set either way.
if your looking for somebody to talk you out of a gasser..then you don't want a diesel. If you have to be talked into the diesel...then you will probably never appreciate it for what it can do. I vote go with the gasser.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:41 PM
pepperoni
Junior User
I never really get involved in these threads, but I sure read them all when I was on the PSD vs. V10 fence. I bought the PSD.

Another way to look at it is that the extra cost of the diesel truck is absorbed into your payment, so it's essentially gone and forgotten. You'll be reminded that you bought a gasser every time you fill up, which will be a lot more often than a diesel.

$.02

John

Old 10-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you don't need the diesel...then you don't need the V10 in my opinion. Have you looked at the new F-150s or the Titan?

My 2 cents.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:02 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gchavez
Have you looked at the new F-150s or the Titan?
...or maybe a nice Ranger? You could probably get around 25 mpg with a 4 banger 2wd.

Seriously though, I agree with the other guys - if you aren't convinced the diesel is the way to go, don't get one.

Incidentally, I don't know where you were looking at diesel prices, but around here, it's consistantly at least a nickel a gallon less than regular unleaded. A couple of months ago, it was better than a quarter less.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:43 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
I think we all contemplated this decison when making our purchase of the PSD or gas.

For some, hauling is primary reason, business use, or for others, jacking them up and racing around town, etc.

Ultimately you have to decide what motivates you to make the gas or diesel decision. Whatever the decision, remember, you live with for 3- 5 years.

The thought of a 250 with a V-10 was not even a consideration. I was tired of driving wimpy gas trucks and running them to the ground. It was time I tried a PSD. Besides all of our fleet vehicles at work have been PSD's for years with minimal maintenance issues.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:26 AM
bluemoose89
Senior User
thats why i will never live in a neighborhood. yuppy frickin neighbors that are in your bussiness.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! just the thought of it.

Old 10-25-2003, 12:59 AM
Brons2
Senior User
Originally posted by philn
You make some good arguments for the gas engine. My neighbor made a comment to my wife the other day about hearing my truck start up at 5AM! I can honestly say that the increased noise is the only thing that I don't like about mine, but I'm getting over it. Love it otherwise!
Actually, the general obnoxiousness, ie smell, noise, macho factor, is one of the best things about the diesel. I just don't want to end up in legal action with the homeowners association, you know.

Maybe I should just keep my 150 when it's paid off and then when I take off to go downtown at midnight, i'll take it and I won't bug anyone

Old 10-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Brons2
Senior User
Originally posted by bluemoose89
thats why i will never live in a neighborhood. yuppy frickin neighbors that are in your bussiness.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! just the thought of it.
it was kool at first.

now my neighbors have a bunch of rugrats, and they think whatever is good for the little snots is good for the neighborhood in general. bah.

Old 10-25-2003, 07:45 AM
stroker393
Senior User
The average life span of a gasser is 100,000 miles; your warranty is gone, problems start arising more often and it has depreciated to nothing but on the other hand the PSD at 100,000 miles is just waking up. My 95 F-250 powerstroke has 180,000 miles and still going strong. These were made for the working man and it is worked Mon-Fri pulling a 6000 lb loaded trailer from job to job doing utility work with ease - I went the gasser route for years and replaced trucks each year too. Look at how you will use your new truck over it's lifespan and base your decision on that. The PSD is a work horse - the V10 is the Sunday driver.

Also, got my eye on a 96 F250 extended cab 4x4 PSD with only 98,000 miles - he wants $19,000 but I've got him down to $15,000. What will a V10 in 7 years be worth?

Old 10-25-2003, 08:55 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
I live in a neighborhood that has the CCR's and I do have snobby, ****, yuppie neighbors. You know the type, they all have Beemers, Benz's, etc. They all have polished garages with 40K worth of cabinetry installed and a little Craftsman tool box that has their life collection of hand tools with instructions on how to use them.

I am the scourge of the neighborhood and proud of it. People walk on the other side of the street when they pass my home.
($400K on up homes)

I work on my PSD in the driveway, drink scotch and smoke cigars. I rule the neighborhood. Nobody messes with me or has reported me to the association.

The neighbors really loved it when I installed my 4" exhaust in the driveway, and especially when I drive down the street at all hours with the the sound of the mighty PSD, and oh, the sweet, sweet smell of unprocessed diesel.

They pull their children inside, slam the doors, cower and peek throught their windows.

I'm lovin life with my PSD.