Front Brakes Locking Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:17 AM
higa2000
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front Brakes Locking Up

Hi Guys,
Having a problem with my front brakes locking up when I am applying the brakes as I am just about stopped (eg. at an intersection). I had a look at my brake pads a few months ago and they looked good. I havn't had them checked out lately and I just wanted to get a few ideas from you guys of what to look for before I start crawling around. I hope they arn't so worn that I am braking with steel on my rotors (worst case scenario I hope). But I would think they should have started squealing a long time ago? My truck is a 5 speed so I usually downshift as much as I can to avoid exsessive braking. Also, any ball park idea what a complete brake job will cost me on my powerstroke? I appreciate any info/input anybody could offer. Thanks!!
Rod

Old 10-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Dan Ward
Freshman User
If you are on steel you will hear a major grinding noise that you wouldn't miss. It is possible your pads are hanging up. When I replaced my front rotors and pads the clips that the rotors slide on were very corroded and didn't allow the pads to come off of the rotors. I believe this is why my right front rotor warped, the pad was not releasing and was riding on the rotor, heating it up. I ended up changing front rotors and pads. But make sure to get new clips with the new pads. An after market set I bought didn't come with new clips and I took them back and purchased premium oem pads that came with new clips.

Given the weight of the vehicles, I wouldn't turn rotors - I would replace them. Some may disagree with me but when I did my brakes I replaced the front rotors due to warping but only the pads in the back. The rotors were in good shape and everything works smooth now.

My 2 cents - Dan Ward

Old 10-24-2003, 11:36 AM
higa2000
Freshman User
Thanks Dan....much appreciated!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Dan Ward
Freshman User
Higa2000,

I didn't respond to the cost questions in your original post. I own a body shop so I got parts through my business. OEM rotors from ford were $59 each and their best pads were $38 per wheel with clips. They would have turned rotors and installed pads for $125 per wheel and new rotors addded another $100 per wheel.

Had ford done my brakes I would have paid $450 for the front ( new rotors) and $250 for the back (turning rotors) totalling $700. Doing it myself cost $270 for all wheels.

One of my managers originally ordered pads and rotors from Red Rooster. The aftermarket rotors ($59each) didn't fit and the pads ($39 per 2 wheels) didn't have clips. I think it pays to buy good pads. The aftermarket rotors looked great but didn't fit, if they had fit they appeared to be fine. So be careful where you buy parts if you do the job yourself.

Good Luck - Dan

Old 10-25-2003, 12:23 AM
higa2000
Freshman User
Great advice Dan.....thanks!!!!!

Old 10-29-2003, 11:15 AM
higa2000
Freshman User
In case anybody happens to read this. As it turns out, my rear axle seal was shot causing all of my passenger side brakes to lock up. The mechanic was able to clean up the shoe enough to not have to replace it, thus saving me some bucks. A new axle seal and some gear oil and I am good to go!
Rod