1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty Complaints Lets hear them

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Tumbleweed1972
Tuned
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Superduty Complaints Lets hear them

Recently I bought a 14 F350. I've always driven older trucks and I am used to the lack of creature comforts and it really doesn't bother me one bit. Trucks are made to work and work well, not to be luxury machines.
I love my new truck, it's powerful, capable, quiet, drives great, handles the trailer well and is just nice in general.
There are a few things that I think Ford royally screwed up though, a few things that I cannot stand and that I can't believe they ever made it through the testing stages. The first of which and the one I hate the most is the stupid electronic turn signal, high beam stalk. Next level impossible to make quick lane changes when driving around in the busy parts of town, you constantly have to look down and see whether you managed to switch the indicator from one side or the other or turned it off. The high beams is just annoying because to check if your high beams are on you either need to pull the lever in turn flashing the oncoming traffic or continuously look down to make sure the little blue light is off rather than just checking with your finger whether it is in the forward or backward position.
The next is the seats, I have never owned a vehicle with such uncomfortable seats, it feels like there is some sort of hump mid back level, changing the lumbar support makes no difference since it is lower down, on the topic of the seats the seatbelts run right over the seat back adjustment and make it difficult to pull and then go and get caught underneath it after you let go.

What the heck, is it just me or is anybody else noticing these things? If anybody has a fix for any of them too, especially the indicator stalk let me know.
Let's hear what everybody hates about their Superduties.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed1972
Recently I bought a 14 F350. I've always driven older trucks and I am used to the lack of creature comforts and it really doesn't bother me one bit. Trucks are made to work and work well, not to be luxury machines.
I love my new truck, it's powerful, capable, quiet, drives great, handles the trailer well and is just nice in general.
There are a few things that I think Ford royally screwed up though, a few things that I cannot stand and that I can't believe they ever made it through the testing stages. The first of which and the one I hate the most is the stupid electronic turn signal, high beam stalk. Next level impossible to make quick lane changes when driving around in the busy parts of town, you constantly have to look down and see whether you managed to switch the indicator from one side or the other or turned it off. The high beams is just annoying because to check if your high beams are on you either need to pull the lever in turn flashing the oncoming traffic or continuously look down to make sure the little blue light is off rather than just checking with your finger whether it is in the forward or backward position.
The next is the seats, I have never owned a vehicle with such uncomfortable seats, it feels like there is some sort of hump mid back level, changing the lumbar support makes no difference since it is lower down, on the topic of the seats the seatbelts run right over the seat back adjustment and make it difficult to pull and then go and get caught underneath it after you let go.

What the heck, is it just me or is anybody else noticing these things? If anybody has a fix for any of them too, especially the indicator stalk let me know.
Let's hear what everybody hates about their Superduties.
I guess maybe you should have tried different brands of trucks to get what you like best before dropping the cash. Not everything fits everybody.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Mickey Bitsko
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
No hates really, like better mpg.. oh well, it's a big truck.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:27 AM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 721 Likes on 571 Posts
Only use our 12 a few times a year but yes the turn signal is annoying. I get used to it on longer trips along with the cruise switch. But my daily drivers are still the older style. I understand safety rules but the head rests were very uncomfortable and rear seat head rests blocked rear window. I solved the headrest problem on my own and feel that it would be the same on any newer vehicle. It's an XLT so I have the basic radio heater that I can understand. So far I'm happy with it.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Fatz29708
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
when changing lanes jus just the the bump method, from the factory the directional will blink 3 times (unless you mod it with forscan)

Old 12-09-2020, 03:14 PM
Tumbleweed1972
Tuned
the 3 flashes isn't much good with a 25' gooseneck in town traffic.
I am a little shocked that nobody seems to have an issue with this setup. I figured it had to be a common complaint since Ford went back to a real indicator stalk on the newer ones.
To whoever the wise guy was that said I should just buy a different brand of truck. What?! I thought that these forums were all about community and modifying and fixing vehicles to be the way that we like. Nobody makes a perfect truck and things can always be improved. I was just looking for like minded individuals that maybe had ideas to modify or replace with older/newer models to eradicate the issue.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Fatz29708
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I am a little shocked that nobody seems to have an issue with this setup. I figured it had to be a common complaint since Ford went back to a real indicator stalk on the newer ones.
To whoever the wise guy was that said I should just buy a different brand of truck. What?! I thought that these forums were all about community and modifying and fixing vehicles to be the way that we like. Nobody makes a perfect truck and things can always be improved. I was just looking for like minded individuals that maybe had ideas to modify or replace with older/newer models to eradicate the issue.
you can change the amount of blinks in forscan, I agree 3 isnt enough, I set mine to 4 when not towing anything, I believe it can be set to as many as 6 or 7.
The wife's first complaint was "I hate the blinkers work in your truck"

Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 PM
Heintzee
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bed frame crossmembers. Wtf. What kind of cheap crap is that they're made of that they rot out like that?

Old 12-09-2020, 04:27 PM
muhford
Posting Guru
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts
OP You'll get used to the electronic turn signal. It is goofy though.

I'll list some complaints.
-Expensive cam phaser issues
-Spark plugs break
-An XL doesn't need TPMS
-The TPMS light is annoying AF

Seriously, why does any truck need a TPMS system? I know when I have a flat. It's not hard to notice with 31" tires.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 291 Likes on 155 Posts
That Ford did not offer the V10 in the 2016 F350.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:34 AM
jsukey
Tuned
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Whenever I have a trailer connected to my ‘15, I get 5 blinker ticks with just a bump of the stalk. Without a trailer, it’s only 3. My truck is completely stock, other than the Banks Derringer. I just assumed it was a Ford safety issue. Is anyone else’s truck similar?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:54 AM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 291 Likes on 155 Posts
Same on my 2016 Lariat. When I have a trailer hooked up, I get 5 also. Completely stock set up electronically/computer wise.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:24 AM
redford
Received 1,584 Likes on 923 Posts
My only complaint on my current truck is that the dashboard display has a lot of blue in it, same shade of blue as the high beam indicator. I leave my dog lights on and use the lack of the green fog light indicator as a reverse high beam indicator. Much quicker and easier to spot while glancing at the display.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:09 AM
saratoga2011
More Turbo
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
The turn signal function doesn't bother me as this is the second SD I've had with it...you can adjust the number of tap-flashes in the productivity screen both with and without a trailer IIRC. I have the truck because it basically is a luxury vehicle and works for me; the truck is a practical vehicle and has a comfortable interior for long trips. I do not want two vehicles in addition to the wife mobile. Definitely don't have any of the OP complaints over the interior.

The only complaints I really have are over the HVAC. If you don't know what blend door actuators or the evap temp sensor does and what happens when they stop functioning correctly, I suggest researching them and what needs to be done to repair them.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Tumbleweed1972
Tuned
Originally Posted by muhford
OP You'll get used to the electronic turn signal. It is goofy though.

I'll list some complaints.
-Expensive cam phaser issues
-Spark plugs break
-An XL doesn't need TPMS
-The TPMS light is annoying AF

Seriously, why does any truck need a TPMS system? I know when I have a flat. It's not hard to notice with 31" tires.
I agree. I bought tires, rims and sensors for this truck and could not for the life of me get them to pair with the truck, after trying the pairing sequence a number of times it was always a no dice, fired up ForScan and got rid of all of that stupid TPMS junk, no more light, no more warning message on startup. Thinking I may do the same with the Traction Control now too. The light is on and I can't figure out why, I can't turn traction control off when the truck thinks it doesn't work. Traction control has not helped me once, all it has ever done is get me stuck in snow, mud, ice and the like.

If anybody knows how to get rid of the 911 assist garbage too let me know. Mine tells me it isn't operational and that I should go to the dealership every morning.

Quick Reply: Superduty Complaints Lets hear them