1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

All tucked in for a long winter's nap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:28 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
...so no snow machines or canoe, hey. How about any moose in your freezer or antlers on the living room walls? I bet you have just the cartoon to post for your friends down here in the "states" that shows what life is "really" like out there on the Canadian prairie. Thanks for what you do everyday for us and Merry Christmas!

Jim

Old 12-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,119 Posts
Friends of mine hunt deer, moose and some have deer antlers hanging on shop walls.
We do have a long cold winter, seems like 4 months of it and at least another month of lousy tobogganing.

Thank you for your kind words and Merry Christmas to you too Jim!

Old 12-05-2020, 07:10 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
...so Morris. You mention tobogganing. I see the snow, and I knew about the long hard winters, but tobogganing? I was dead wrong about Saskatoon, but isn't Saskatchewan flat--I mean really flat? Lots of misconceptions on the part of your Southern friends as you can see--and I used to teach units on Canada to fifth graders. LOL.

Jim

Old 12-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Fomoko1
Old 12-05-2020, 09:56 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Thanks Morris. Only your first link worked for me, but I did learn some interesting things about your beautiful Province anyway. I'd like to visit sometime.

Jim

ps I have two snowmobiles (and a chainsaw and a canoe) but mine look nothing like the one in your picture--actually I look nothing like the rider either.

My snowmobiles are Polaris sleds from the 1990's. Thanks for being a good sport about this little exchange. I'm spending more time here and less on news sites lately--It's been good for my mental health.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Fomoko1
I`m glad you like our province and it would be nice to meet you if you can make it here. Just make sure it`s summer, winters are not too bad generally but we do get cold spells.
I haven`t had any snowmobiles since the 90`s, I prefer quads.

I spend more time on sites like this than watching the news on TV.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:22 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I watch no news on television--and haven't for a few years now--Blood pressure was getting too high--I've recently stopped following the NFL and our beloved Green Bay Packers as well. It's been good to escape to FTE when problems involve finding a hard to find part or tracking down an illusive mis-fire. Nice looking quad! You should think about hosting a Truckstock. It would be just the excuse I would need to plan a visit to Saskatchewan. Who wouldn't want to come?

Jim

Old 12-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Fomoko1
I like to watch the Toronto Blue Jays play baseball, too many things are missing in our lives now. I`m hopping for much better times in the next 6-7 months.
Thanks for the complement on my Suzuki, it`s been trouble free since I got it 6 yrs ago. I wouldn`t hesitate to buy another Suzuki quad when it comes time.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:41 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I'll give you credit, having a quad and producing a picture adds credibility to your claim to not be a sophisticated urban intellectual, but having a moose head in your freezer waiting on the taxidermist would pretty much dispel any lingering doubts for the skeptics among us.

It's a slow night, and I had to kick the can just one more time. Sorry.

Maybe you missed my little tease in a previous post (I slipped it in as an edit) but did I get you thinking at all of hosting a "Prairie Truckstock" event? Abe gets members to come to the mountains of Pennsylvania. Why wouldn't some of us be attracted to an adventure out on the beautiful prairie. The lonely lightly traveled two lane roads and little prairie towns with their water towers and feed mills and long views would be just the perfect setting for slow old trucks like ours. I went to school in Nebraska, and I picture Saskatchewan as being similar only maybe flatter, more open, and less populated. I for one wouldn't miss the 8 and 10 lane highways and congestion around places like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Akron, etc. Think on it. I'll look at a map. I know it would be a long trip, but if I can get there in three days, it would be doable.

Jim

Old 12-06-2020, 11:26 PM
Fomoko1
I don`t hunt Jim so there`s no moose or deer head at my place. Several of my friends hunt.
It is a slow night so kick the can as many times as you want, it is entertaining for me.
I`d love to have a "Prairie Truckstock" event but with very few area members spread over long distances it is next impossible, even a small get together doesn`t happen.
Small prairie towns were slowly dying off a few yrs ago but now seem to be hanging on. Nebraska appeared quite similar to Saskatchewan when I travelled through it in the 90`s. 8 and 10 lane highways really give me the ******* too!
It`s a fairly long trip, about 17 and 30 minutes according to Google Maps to the closest town to me:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Deer....9963367?hl=en

Old 12-07-2020, 08:42 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Good morning. I've pretty well exhausted the urban intellectual thing, so I'm through kicking that can. We all knew you were a regular guy to begin with because you have old trucks and post good advice and funny cartoons.

My time in Nebraska was in the 60's. We went back last year for our 50th reunion and noticed there seemed to be a whole lot more trees than there used to be (and people). We also saw newer looking homes and buildings in the little towns that used to look old and dusty and straight out of the 1930's. I was a little disappointed to see the changes but nothing stays the same.

Thanks for at least thinking through a "Prairie Truckstock". I'm sure you'll let us know if you have a change of heart. Maybe there'll be a groundswell of interest that you won't be able to resist. Maybe FTE will want to come in as a corporate sponsor and dangle a bunch of $$ in front of you to make it happen. Maybe the US election will turn out the way I think it should. Still lots of "maybes" out there. LOL.

I'm probably done so Merry Christmas one more time. It's been fun.

Jim

ps Thanks Abe for allowing me to shamelessly bud into your thread like this. Merry Christmas to you too and everyone else following along.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Fomoko1
The last FTE and only FTE get together we had was 11 yrs ago, 12 members showed up. Unfortunately most aren`t active now.
Merry Christmas, Happy and safe New Yr to everyone.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:07 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I've been to four Truckstock type gatherings now, and actually getting 12 members together isn't a bad showing. Just saying. It's easy to say you want to come or plan to come to a gathering, but actually doing it ends up being very hard. There are just so many family and work responsibilities in people's busy lives that work against their actually being able to get away and make a trip to a distant gathering. My last trip to Pennsylvania ended up being about an 8 day and 2500 mile commitment. Getting around the big cities added to the time and miles. Going to Saskatoon would be a bit longer, but almost certainly easier driving. I could do it in three days. I couldn't promise for sure that I'd be able to come at this point, but if something were to be scheduled, I'd sure try.

Jim

Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 AM
Fomoko1
As much as I would like to have an FTE gathering it is pretty much out of the question for any time soon with Covid. it`s rampant here so gatherings are restricted and long distance travel is definitely not recommended. Still it doesn`t hurt to dream a little tho.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:51 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I understand that now isn't the right time for you to be planning something. I guess the border is even still closed. Just keep the "Prairie Truckstock" dream alive for maybe sometime in the future. I'd like to make an extended trip with my truck every year for as long as we are both able to do it. Now we probably need to give Abe back his thread. LOL.

Jim

Quick Reply: All tucked in for a long winter's nap