1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Rock Auto customer service is non-existent.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Rembrant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
I'm really quite surprised. I hadn't heard all that much bad press about RockAuto prior to reading this thread. I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of parts from them over the years, and at least $500-$600 over the past couple weeks in several different orders, and it's seamless every time. I have several friends with the same experience as well. I guess like anything it is hit or miss, but anecdotally at least, they get a pretty good rating from most folks...at least around here.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I've also ordered quite a few parts from Rock Auto and have never had a problem
with any of them. I have never had to return any of them to Rock Auto. The
only thing I don't like about them are their shipping charges and sometimes
multiple shipping charges on the same order if coming from different warehouses.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:17 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdelivery
You got the part you ordered and paid for and what you would have got locally.
Not sure if you're addressing me or not, but I, for a fact, didn't get the part I ordered. The part they shipped was for an application that has never existed.

The true test of a company is how they deal with mistakes they make. Rock Auto failed that test. It one thing to have a policy to refuse to admit mistakes, yet another to outright lie to a customer.
I used to rebuild turbo chargers for a company who sole service was on turbo chargers and was fired for refusing to lie to a customer. I have no regrets about refusing to compromise my ethics.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 AM
BlueWhiteFord
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just had a run in with rock about a wrong part and this far I have been quite pleased. I orderd new Manifolds for my 400 rebuild, Since mine are shot, with welds on them to close cracks and the like.
Yesterday I got my package from fedex. The thing was in terrible condition. There was a water pump, balancer, and two manifolds in there so quite the hefty box to be lugging around. I guess thats why it got kinda mistreated.
To my luck everything inside was alright.
I unpacked one manifold, which was the passanger side one that has the turndown at the very end. Then I unpacked what was supposed to be the driver side. There was another passanger side one in that box.
My order states the correct part numbers and even says left and right. The box has the right part number for the driver side, but the wrong part was in the box.

I used the little automated yes and no thing that rock had. Clicked through all the boxes and got a message that said something along the lines of: We'll ship a new part, you don't have to return the old one, but please hang on to it for two weeks in case we do need it back.
Two hours later I got a message that the new manifold has shipped and that it should get here by friday.

Thing is I live in Germany, so the shipping for a hunk of cast Iron plus import taxes are quite high. So I am guessing that little hick up cost them around 200 bucks. Plus a "lost" manifold that I now have.

So all in all things went pretty good for me.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:52 AM
Mjollnir81
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I want to know about the one key mod. I dont have any door keys for my truck and they are obviously keyed backwards to the ignition currently.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
when I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 300 I bought one locally...then kicked myself for seeing the Rock Auto price.
but then I ordered the egr gasket from them and it took so long to get it I just reused the old one.
then when it finally showed up I had forgotten about it.
they are not the only ones. I have ordered some books from some online used book retailers and it is ridiculous how long stuff takes to arrive.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:49 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
when I replaced the exhaust manifold on my 300 I bought one locally...then kicked myself for seeing the Rock Auto price.
but then I ordered the egr gasket from them and it took so long to get it I just reused the old one.
then when it finally showed up I had forgotten about it.
they are not the only ones. I have ordered some books from some online used book retailers and it is ridiculous how long stuff takes to arrive.
I've never had a problem with their shipping other than playing the warehouse game where you order a bunch of stuff and 2 of the items have to come from different locations.
Other than that, their shipping has always been fast using fedex. I don't bother with USPS because they decided to stop working this year.