2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Steering Stabilizer Field Service Action

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 07:21 PM
Rich1961
Tuned

Received 128 Likes on 78 Posts
Steering Stabilizer Field Service Action

I took my truck in for service (2019), and to have two Field Service Actions done on it. First was the Steering Stabilizer and the other was the Carpet Shielding and Insulation Rework. Carpet Shielding was completed, they said they'd replace the Steering Stabilizer after I told them I was getting steering wheel back and forth movement when hitting bumps or potholes. The Tech said upon replacing the Steering Stabilizer that there was excessive movement in the Tie Rod Ends and Drag link, so those are being replaced tomorrow. I never did experience death wobble with the truck, but with the way the steering oscillated and the front end feeling loose when hitting bumps I guess it was just a matter of time.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:20 PM
F250MJ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich1961
I took my truck in for service (2019), and to have two Field Service Actions done on it. First was the Steering Stabilizer and the other was the Carpet Shielding and Insulation Rework. Carpet Shielding was completed, they said they'd replace the Steering Stabilizer after I told them I was getting steering wheel back and forth movement when hitting bumps or potholes. The Tech said upon replacing the Steering Stabilizer that there was excessive movement in the Tie Rod Ends and Drag link, so those are being replaced tomorrow. I never did experience death wobble with the truck, but with the way the steering oscillated and the front end feeling loose when hitting bumps I guess it was just a matter of time.
How many miles do you have on the 2019? My tie rod ends and drag link are loose at only 38k...

Old 10-21-2020, 05:50 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I had that done to my '19 F-450 pickup in August. The truck drove great but the steering had a lot of feedback when I hit a rough patch of road. The dealer replaced the draglink and steering stabilizer but honestly I can't tell the difference after the fix. Truck still drives great but it still behaves the same when I hit a rough spot of road.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:59 AM
F250MJ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jesse4812
I had that done to my '19 F-450 pickup in August. The truck drove great but the steering had a lot of feedback when I hit a rough patch of road. The dealer replaced the draglink and steering stabilizer but honestly I can't tell the difference after the fix. Truck still drives great but it still behaves the same when I hit a rough spot of road.
Others (StonedGrey for example) have reported that some Motorcraft drag link parts have excess vertical play when new. Are your replaced ones loose? With someone turning the steering wheel back and forth do the joints have vertical movement? That vertical movement translates into the steering wheel moving around when the wheels are not, especially since ford has the drag link running at a pretty good angle stock. I am really suspicious that the loose tie rods are a big factor with death wobble happening on low mileage trucks.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Spooledsrt
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I glad to see there are some good dealers out there that will fix the problem. I have feedback through the steering wheel of something loose when going over bumps. Dealer said everything thing looks tight and no play. Then goes on to say it might be the aftermarket suspension parts. It's an easy way to look away. Sad part is, I only have a dual steering stabilizer and 2" under coil level kit. It took me 2 seconds to find the problem. The drag link end on passenger side has play in it. I bought a moog replacement end and will change it out. I'll then take the failed part in to the service advisor and have a chat. And maybe tell him he better find a new parts changer if he cant diagnose something simple like this.

Old 10-21-2020, 09:58 PM
Rich1961
Tuned

Originally Posted by F250MJ
How many miles do you have on the 2019? My tie rod ends and drag link are loose at only 38k...
10,170. Also having Clutch fan issues, running fast all the time. The dealer service writer told me it was "normal" for the fan to do that. I told them BS. I took the Service Manager out for a drive today to show him. He agreed the fan was not supposed to be like that. While on the drive, the truck went into limp mode, hardly any throttle response. No check engine light. Service Manager thinks it has something to do with the fan clutch issue. We'll see.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:48 PM
scottz99
More Turbo
Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
If they replace the stabilizer, do they just put the same thing on again or is it an improved model? I was told the same thing last time I was in; "we only perform that service if you complain about it being loose".

Old 10-22-2020, 10:43 PM
Rich1961
Tuned

Originally Posted by scottz99
If they replace the stabilizer, do they just put the same thing on again or is it an improved model? I was told the same thing last time I was in; "we only perform that service if you complain about it being loose".
I really don't know, as I'm still waiting to get my truck back. Hopefully it is an improved steering stabilizer. Fan Clutch was replaced today, and supposed to finish with the drag link/tie rod replacement tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:02 AM
F250MJ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rich1961
I really don't know, as I'm still waiting to get my truck back. Hopefully it is an improved steering stabilizer. Fan Clutch was replaced today, and supposed to finish with the drag link/tie rod replacement tomorrow.
The issue with the stabilizers is no resistance when cycling in and out by hand, mine had about a half inch of no resistance. That is the only improvement, just a new one that does not have dead space. If you want better, need to go aftermarket such as fox.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:13 AM
scottz99
More Turbo
Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by F250MJ
The issue with the stabilizers is no resistance when cycling in and out by hand, mine had about a half inch of no resistance. That is the only improvement, just a new one that does not have dead space. If you want better, need to go aftermarket such as fox.
In other words, as long as mine is working, there is no advantage to having the service done. And, if they are just installing the same thing, what keeps it from failing again?

Old 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM
F250MJ
Freshman User
Originally Posted by scottz99
In other words, as long as mine is working, there is no advantage to having the service done. And, if they are just installing the same thing, what keeps it from failing again?
They test the stabilizer before changing it per the tsb, so having them check it out and replace if needed is not a bad thing. However, the new part is still a low cost part, but supposedly updated. May be fine for a while. Recommend looking for tie rod looseness prior to taking it in, pointing out bad joints, and insisting they change them if you receive pushback. In particular look for vertical movement in the drag link.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Rich1961
Tuned

Got my truck back yesterday. They replaced the steering stabilizer, drag link and tie rods. Truck drives much better, no feedback on steering wheel when hitting bumps in the road like it did before. Hopefully this repair holds up.