2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

My 2019 Ram 2500 vs my new 2020 f250

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 08:08 AM
fender1325
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2019 Ram 2500 vs my new 2020 f250

Just wanted to put a quick blurb out there for comparison sake. I owned a 2019 ram 2500 for about 7 months, sold it, ordered the f250 and 3 months later I got it.

I actually think the Ram was more forgiving as a daily driver. A little softer ride, tighter steering radius, and perhaps a little more friendly gearbox for regular driving. I had 4.10's. It was a good looking truck, and very competitively priced. I had the 6.4 hemi. Plenty of pep. Might even be a tad faster than the Ford. Ultimately I sold it due to several issues, and I just think that engine wasn't going to go the distance. The long haul of 15 years+ and 200k miles. Too many cam/lifter failures, the MDS shutting down 4 cylinders was annoying as crap, engaged too much and vibrated the whole cab at 1900 RPM every time.

The Ford I now have feels like an entirely different class of truck. Both trucks are long bed crew cab 4x4 gassers. The Ford has 4.30 gears and the 7.3 V8. As others note, it's a little stiffer ride. Really you get used to it after a day or so. It's not obnoxious or something.

The Ford steers worse, the reverse camera is a joke (xl model but smaller than the tradesman base ram I had), the holes in the rear hitch for your chain hooks don't work so I'll need to add D rings or something. Believe it or not I miss the push button start and **** gear selector of the ram which I never thought I'd do. Now I hop in the Ford and look for the button and say dangit and dig in my pocket for the key.

The back seat is massive and the flat floor is fantastic compared to the hump floor in the ram. The Ford sits an inch or so lower than the ram, but feels longer. Actually has a 7 inch longer wheelbase than the ram.

I paid a premium for this truck. And it's pretty basic except for the 7.3 and 4x4.

All of that being said? Again, this truck feels like it's in an entirely different class than the ram. This Ford feels like a professional/commercial truck.

In my heart I know this things going to go the distance. It's going to be the 15 year+ long term truck I was looking to buy.

If I was ultra wealthy I'd own both and probably daily the ram, but having to choose one for my hard earned money? The Ford wins. My gut tells me the Ford might be simple on the surface but more money went into the engineering than that of the Ram. The Ram might have a little more sex appeal or testosterone, but again, this Ford is professional class. If that makes sense.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:55 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Concur x2

So had the use of a new'19 top of the line diesel Chevy. Very comparable to my King Ranch in doo dads n stuff.

After a day in the truck I will sum it up saying sure glad I don't own one.

Comfort, just not a comfortable truck vs my '20 Diesel KR, I get the feeling sitting and driving that I am never really connected to the truck, like I am a passenger more than it fitting like a glove. I step up into a SD KR CC LB and it FITS, the seat fits the drivers cockpit FITS.

Handling: Again my Superduty beat Chev like a rented mule. The Chevy was like driving a TRUCK, it lacked the smooth, tight and accurate steering and handling my SD has, not saying the SD drives like a Corvette, but I like the way it drives.

Fit n Finnish. Chev feels trucks, quality just not there compare to my SD KR

Disel vs diesel. Chevy makes a good diesel, been around a long time proven engine but Ford delivers on performance and is a great engine also.

Value: Chevy feels cheap, looks cheap but is not cheap, maybe cheaper than SD (??) but if my Ford cost more then its why I got more.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:34 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1325
Just wanted to put a quick blurb out there for comparison sake. I owned a 2019 ram 2500 for about 7 months, sold it, ordered the f250 and 3 months later I got it.

I actually think the Ram was more forgiving as a daily driver. A little softer ride, tighter steering radius, and perhaps a little more friendly gearbox for regular driving. I had 4.10's. It was a good looking truck, and very competitively priced. I had the 6.4 hemi. Plenty of pep. Might even be a tad faster than the Ford. Ultimately I sold it due to several issues, and I just think that engine wasn't going to go the distance. The long haul of 15 years+ and 200k miles. Too many cam/lifter failures, the MDS shutting down 4 cylinders was annoying as crap, engaged too much and vibrated the whole cab at 1900 RPM every time.

The Ford I now have feels like an entirely different class of truck. Both trucks are long bed crew cab 4x4 gassers. The Ford has 4.30 gears and the 7.3 V8. As others note, it's a little stiffer ride. Really you get used to it after a day or so. It's not obnoxious or something.

The Ford steers worse, the reverse camera is a joke (xl model but smaller than the tradesman base ram I had), the holes in the rear hitch for your chain hooks don't work so I'll need to add D rings or something. Believe it or not I miss the push button start and **** gear selector of the ram which I never thought I'd do. Now I hop in the Ford and look for the button and say dangit and dig in my pocket for the key.

The back seat is massive and the flat floor is fantastic compared to the hump floor in the ram. The Ford sits an inch or so lower than the ram, but feels longer. Actually has a 7 inch longer wheelbase than the ram.

I paid a premium for this truck. And it's pretty basic except for the 7.3 and 4x4.

All of that being said? Again, this truck feels like it's in an entirely different class than the ram. This Ford feels like a professional/commercial truck.

In my heart I know this things going to go the distance. It's going to be the 15 year+ long term truck I was looking to buy.

If I was ultra wealthy I'd own both and probably daily the ram, but having to choose one for my hard earned money? The Ford wins. My gut tells me the Ford might be simple on the surface but more money went into the engineering than that of the Ram. The Ram might have a little more sex appeal or testosterone, but again, this Ford is professional class. If that makes sense.
I agree on all points. The Ram rides better probably due to the rear coil springs, but the Ford's interior plastics seem to be better secured/stout than the Ram. I haven't been impressed with the RAM cab quality since the 2009 redesign, nor have I felt the chassis welds/quality to be on par with the '17 and up Super Duty. We shall see if the 7.3 matches the Ford 6.2 or GM 6.0 in durability, but on paper and so far seems to be a very tough engine.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:02 PM
rcinlaveen
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
In another post, I shared my experience in a nicely equipped Ram 2500 4x4 a few months ago. The ride was painfully jarring. I aired the tires down to 45 psi. No help.

I've owned several one ton Dodge diesels and one 2003 7.3 one ton diesel in the past 20 years. Including my current F350, I've never been in a truck with a more jarring ride than the Ram rental. By comparison, my F350 is an easy ride.