General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Add/adhd

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 11:02 AM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add/adhd

This post on another board got me thinking.

OK for the record...ADD DOES NOT EXIST...its not real. There is an epidemic ideology that makes people believe that because you cant maintain focus or because your a bit over excited that you have an illness and we should drug you with prescription medication to make you well. More $$$ for the drug manufacturers and the doctors. So people can stop using "ADD" as an excuse to underacheive and sedate their kids.
So what do you guys think?

Old 10-21-2003, 11:25 AM
cheese4420
Junior User
I'll second that.

No more copouts!

Old 10-21-2003, 11:29 AM
68torino
Posting Guru
I agree but on a broader field. By watching tv one can make the determination that the drug barons are 'educating' people by driving fear into their hearts about their health and their families health. Everything that is not 'normal' in your life we have a drug for. I've watched commercials where the side effects were actually worse than what was being treated. As I tell my family when I get sick I want a low grade fever to 'burn out' the bugs, rather than medicate my body into not using it's defenses. Unfortunately most people are not 'smart' enough to question everything put forth to them and go running to their doctors. What boarders on criminal in my mind are the supposed teachers of our childeren who clamor for us to DOPE our childeren senseless to render them passive and mallable to their liberal teachings. I tell my sons to look at what is being taught to you and question everything. You will still need to give them the answers they want but don't beleive everything shoved at you.
My wife works as a CNA in a retirement home, she tells me of residents who see the latest and greatest medicine on tv and clamor for some. Sadly in some cases the doctor will bow to their wishes and let them have some.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:19 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
Oh the hardships of the modern day family! How did the families of years past ever get by without diagnosing all these new disorders. What a cop out.

Today's society of instant gratification and poor moral standards has bred a new breed of laziness. The parents who won't take responsibility for the poor discipline of their children need to blame someone or something for their childrens behavior. After all it certainly can't be their fault. These parents work hard all day (both of them) and make good money. They provide a nice home and do not deny their children anything they want. They pay for good child care and even spend the evenings with their children eating dinner in front of the TV. So it can't be the parents fault, right?
Let's see, no structure, no limits, no real sense of right or wrong, never have to work for anything.........HMMMM. Yep it must be some psychological disorder. Don't get it confused with lack of a proper upbringing, you could get sued for that.
The teachers on the other hand I really do feel sorry. They kick a kid out of class for miss behaving and the school psychologist (who swears by the diagnosis of these disorders) says sorry, but you can't discpline this kid, he has a disability. The kid can act out and disupt the rest of the kids who are actually trying to learn. Then the other kids parents complain about poor class room discpline and the teacher can't do a dam thing about it. So what used to be handled by detentions and suspensions, now is tolerated due to "diagnosed disabilities". After all if your kid is misbehaving then it must be someone or something else's fault.
Oh by the way, I just love it when a kids parents take the kids side when the teacher discplines a student for misbehaving. They even go so far as to say the teacher is lying about their kid doing anything wrong. I think if video camera's were installed in classrooms things would take on a whole new picture.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no doubt that people have some of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD. Read the list and you'll find that more than likely you have at least one of the symptoms. The big issue is whether we do or do not need to treat these people with drugs. The drug approach is too easy and it makes teachers' jobs easier. (Just take this pill and we will make you happy and compliant.) Also, more kids with disabilities bring more money to the school so there's an incentive to label kids as ADD/ADHD. Fact is, these kinds of kids tend to be smarter, so we could actually be sedating the next Einstein or Tesla. If either were alive today, who wouldn't think they were weird. There's research out there that suggests these kinds of "problems" could be solved by diet without turning you into jello but it's not promoted by your typical doctor.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:46 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree for the most part, but my doctor thinks I have

AAADD - Age Activated Attention Deficiate Disorder!

Whats this post about anyway?

Old 10-21-2003, 02:50 PM
MuchToMyDelight
Posting Guru
A buddy of mine has been diagnosed with ADHD, and you can watch him loose attention. We were playing at a cancer benifit (he sings), and the reflection of my tuners cought his eye and he forgot to sing the first verse. We give him a hard time about it, and he hates taking his medication, and I see why. You can just snap your fingers and he will do his bes not to look, but he cant take it, he has to look. I think it is a condition, but is treated in all the wrong ways and is over diagnosed more than anything else.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:58 PM
cheese4420
Junior User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mikeman
[B]There is no doubt that people have some of the symptoms of ADD/ADHD. Also, more kids with disabilities bring more money to the school so there's an incentive to label kids as ADD/ADHD.

Could you please cite a source that makes such an erroneous statement that students with disabilities bring more money to the school system? I am studying to become a school teacher and have done several reports on inclusion in the classroom. I have never come across any information that suggests that schools benefit financially from students with disabilities. The benefits are intrinsic, not extrinsic.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:46 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Originally posted by bigdmizer
Then the other kids parents complain about poor class room discpline and the teacher can't do a dam thing about it. So what used to be handled by detentions and suspensions, now is tolerated due to "diagnosed disabilities". After all if your kid is misbehaving then it must be someone or something else's fault.
At the intermediate and high school levels its gone way beyond that. We now build 'special' schools for those with 'learning disabilities' and/or inability to conform within classrooms. While a certain percentage of students do have true learning disabilities, and do deserve consideration (like more parental attention by turning the tube off), these newer schools are basically holding pens for kids that really need juvenile detention or the slam so school districts can still get the federal and state money per student. But they use local tax money, generally shared property and sales tax revenue, to build the schools, complete with metal detectors, closed campuses and guards.

I can't blame anyone but the parents. I went to school a long time ago, but at that time the school was always right and my parents supported the teachers, not precious Johnny or Mary who could do no wrong. An education was considered a privilege. Physical punishment was allowed in that era and a steel ruler across the knuckles or paddle across the butt made one think twice about disrupting the class. A trip to the principal was a guaranteed three day suspension. And you were going to be in big trouble when you got home no matter who's fault it was. Kids were expelled on a permanent basis and had to go to work. Now, they just continue to be cared for by the government in one manner or another and live at home seemingly forever.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I too believe that it is a lack of discipline at home that causes most of the problems diagnosed as ADD/ADHD. I know that more kids these days have "double income parents" and have too much time on their hands when they get home.

One remedy would be to setup a course of chores. This, of course, would put more "stress" on the parents, causing more friction that they could not "handle", but in the long run would help the child "chill out". Sounds crazy, but it works. Forcing children to take on childish responsibilities is one way to keep their minds and bodies busy.

More oft than not, however, the parents are the ones with ADD/ADHD. They just can't give their childen enough of the proper attention.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 PM
cheese4420
Junior User
There is a lot of talk about how students should be taught certain values at home. This raises a very interesting point. I think most of the people on this board are older than 30. With that in mind, we must consider some major changes that have taken place in our school system. When our parents were in school, there were very strict rules and strict punishments. Often times it involved some form of corporal punishment. Some of us have experienced corporal punishment and some have not. Reason being? Things change.

Our schooling system used to be based on what is called an “obedience model”. This is where students are taught to follow orders and to obey the authority. The system is based on punishments and rewards and students learn obedience and conformity.

There has been a shift in schooling techniques toward the “responsibility model”. This is where students are taught to make responsible decisions and they learn from actions. There is no longer a punishment system, but rather a process of explaining and applying a logical process of consequences. Students internalize the reasons for rules and learn to self-regulate. Basically, students learn to police themselves.

Why is it that there is more crime, disobedience, lack of patriotism, irresponsibility, disrespect, and violence today? I attribute it to the lack of the “obedience model”. Students do not learn respect in school; they are supposed to learn it at home. The problem is that most parents today were the first generations through the “responsibility model” and they never learned strict discipline as our parents did.

It is truly the evolution of our school system. It is the slippery slope to a tee. I am correct when I say that the Democratic Party was a major supporter of the “responsibility model”. It is so obvious today as well. They push their view of; everyone gets a chance, special treatment for special needs. There is no order or structure to our schools anymore. We have taken away the power from our teachers and will never get it back. When a parent can accuse a teacher of fabricating a story so that they can get their little angel in trouble it has gone too far.

I know most of you are hard core Republicans and can totally see the relationship here. The sad thing is that the Democrats cannot see any of it. This is exactly what makes me a Republican; it’s the slow degradation of our great nation one year at a time. It may sound like a fatalist attitude, but slowly but surely, we’re destroying ourselves. It’s time to stand up and fight for our country. Our country does not have to be white people and middle class, our country has to be American!

Old 10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Maybe if we beat the kids more they'll be able to concentrate?

BTW the changes in educational systems are happening in many countries without the massive problems we see here.

The problems are at home not at school.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
cheese4420
Junior User
Originally posted by sinjin
Maybe if we beat the kids more they'll be able to concentrate?

I know you're just kidding. Nobody is advocating that.

Originally posted by sinjin
The problems are at home not at school.
After you get out of school, you start your home. If you don't get good training in school, your home will not function properly. That's what I'm saying. We are no longer teaching our children core values that can cary over to anything they do. If they are respectful and responsible, they can do anything they want. They will have the responsibility to take it upon themselves and get things done.

It's time people learned to suck it up, tuck their pnssy lips in and get things done.

NO MORE HAND HOLDING!!!

Old 10-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Phat02
Senior User
For those of you who are bashing people with disorders, THANK YOU! Uneducated babble is very entertaining to read. I hope that someone close to you is diagnosed with a mental disorder.

OK, I will blow your whole argument out of the water.

I am 26, have a great career, a nice home and a great family life. I was raised in a good home, stayed out of major trouble, and made my parents proud. I have an IQ that puts me in the top 3% of the population. Everything in my life is stable and I am happy. I was diagnosed 6 months ago with acute clinical depression and adult ADD. All this is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. So where is my cop out?

Old 10-21-2003, 07:37 PM
cheese4420
Junior User
Originally posted by Phat02
So where is my cop out?
Your cop out is what you make it. If you understand your condition, as I think you do, you will make decisions based on it. However, if you start asking for special treatment because of your chemical imbalance, then there is your cop out. What I am saying is that often time’s people use a disability or chemical imbalance as an excuse for not accomplishing things.

My wife was in a terrible accident 18 months ago. She suffered a shattered heal and a split knee cap. She now has 60% mobility in her foot. Every day for the rest of her life she will have arthritic pains in her foot and knee. When she purchases shoes, she needs to usually buy two different pairs because her feet are different sizes. One is an 8, the other is a 9-1/2. Since then she has developed tumors in her breasts due to the impact during the accident. She is severely scared and no longer wears anything but long pants. She also had to take a demotion at work because she was unable to be on her feet for 12 hours a day. After all of that, she started to suffer mild forms of depression. Nevertheless, she has continued working and will be finishing her master’s degree at the end of this fall semester. She did not let her injury or mental condition get in the way of her goals and ambitions. She did not use her accident as a cop out. You only have a cop out if you chose to. So exactly where did we get blown out of the water?

Quick Reply: Add/adhd