Sponsored by:

Replacing failing electrical plugs for multi-function switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:40 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Arrow Replacing failing electrical plugs for multi-function switch

Recently replaced my Motorcraft multi-function switch after the turn signal function broke internally. It lasted a whopping 4 years. When removing the old switch, the tabs broke off the old plugs that mount to the back of the switch assembly. The plastic had become very brittle, and it was impossible to remove the plugs without breaking the tabs.

They came off with very little force.

I went ahead and installed the new switch without the plug retainer tabs, but soon discovered the brake light voltage was bleeding over to the turn signals every time I stepped on the brake. I thought the new switch was bad, but that was not the case.

The pin retainers inside the plugs had all broken internally when I removed the old switch, and the wires were falling out the back and shorting together.
I ordered the new plugs (both) off RockAuto (Motorcraft), and replaced them in about 30 minutes. Very easy if you follow these simple steps:

New plug with pins and wires pre-installed

Using a small pick or screwdriver, gently remove the pins from the new plugs.

Until they are all out, and the plug is empty.

One by one, remove the wires from the old plug, and insert them into the corresponding hole on the new plug.

Continue the process with the smaller plug. It has a red pin-retainer insert in it that has to be gently pried out to access the pin release tabs. It has been removed in this photo.

Once you have transferred all the wires over, you can plug it back in and keep on truckin'.

Most of the electrical plugs are still available, and I plan to buy most...if not all...of them in the near future, because I will continue to run into this same aged plastic problem while conducting repairs in various locations on the truck down the road. I've already replaced the plugs to the headlights and front turn signals in the past for the same reason.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Nice! I’ll have to head over to rock auto and check them out. Still need to get the plugs together for my OE mirror swap seeing as how I can’t get the guy I found to take my money for the switches and pigtails. Some people.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM
Squirrel13
Laughing Gas
Received 252 Likes on 144 Posts
Nice. I replaced the outer shell on many of my connectors as well for the same brittleness.