1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dana 60 swap, left side sits higher

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:34 PM
HunterSThompson
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dana 60 swap, left side sits higher

I'm waiting on pitman arm puller and steering, so I bled the brakes and put the wheels on. mainly to see how it sits now. It sits quite a bit higher.

Wheels are turned hard to the left, the left front of the truck is 2 maybe 3" higher than the right.

Track bar length is not lining up.

no mounts for sway bar

springs are suppose to be f350, new bushings, I just checked, shackles are same both sides,,,,

does the front change geometry, does it sound like something is installed wrong?

Old 07-26-2020, 12:16 PM
paddler
More Turbo
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
Straighten the wheels first. Combination of caster plus camber when wheels are turned may change ground-to-axle height on each side. I vaguely recollect that it does do an outside-down, inside-up effect, but could be wrong.

I did an RSK with Superduty springs, and recollect that I got creative to get the track bar connected. I vaguely recollect that the frame end pivot bolt is blocked with the front end on the ground, so you may have to jack the frame up so the axle dangles some to get the bolt in. I forget how I made the last connection, or if it was the frame or axle end. I did it with the steering connected, so I may have gotten the wheels off the ground to make it easier to shift the frame sideways over the axle without fighting the steering. Ratchet straps may help you shift the frame over the axle. I do remember using a bunch of jack stands and jacks to get just the right spring compression to get everything lined up. This presumes you are "close".

If you are sitting higher, you may need a drop track bar bracket to get the axle centered, and also get the track bar as level as possible to minimize bump steer. The RSK I used gave me about 2.5" of lift; with the drop track bar but stock pitman arm I had horrible bump steer. Drop pitman arm matching the lift cured it.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:36 PM
HunterSThompson
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paddler
Straighten the wheels first. Combination of caster plus camber when wheels are turned may change ground-to-axle height on each side. I vaguely recollect that it does do an outside-down, inside-up effect, but could be wrong.

I did an RSK with Superduty springs, and recollect that I got creative to get the track bar connected. I vaguely recollect that the frame end pivot bolt is blocked with the front end on the ground, so you may have to jack the frame up so the axle dangles some to get the bolt in. I forget how I made the last connection, or if it was the frame or axle end. I did it with the steering connected, so I may have gotten the wheels off the ground to make it easier to shift the frame sideways over the axle without fighting the steering. Ratchet straps may help you shift the frame over the axle. I do remember using a bunch of jack stands and jacks to get just the right spring compression to get everything lined up. This presumes you are "close".

If you are sitting higher, you may need a drop track bar bracket to get the axle centered, and also get the track bar as level as possible to minimize bump steer. The RSK I used gave me about 2.5" of lift; with the drop track bar but stock pitman arm I had horrible bump steer. Drop pitman arm matching the lift cured it.

Hello paddler, thanks for stoppin by.
This is similar to what was unsettling, lil nicer unit, but the wheels seem to be at different height and the bumper is near level.
First thought was somebody messed up.
it's been a longer project than I wanted already,

all parts were suppose to be stock OEM 96-97 f350
springs, steering, shocks, pitman arm etc. I did spring bushings too.
it sits noticeably higher. I wouldnt want any extra lift.

I should have steering soon. Cant pull the 250 pitman arm now, the differntial is smack in the way, I need a special tool. (again)

others have gotten the track bar in after a check drive - I hope nothing moves that much - worst case I could make one with steel tube and clevis ends.

I need to figure the sway bar too. if the front gets hooked up, I'll need the back too. find mounts and weld them in?